Maternal & Child Community
how many weeks can you hear baby's heart beat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

whats the norm to be able to listen to the babies heart, Im 11 weeks and the dr told me it was too soon...
I'm 12 1/2 weeks and I wasn't able to hear it at the last visit either - but I did see it pumping.
oh thanks that sounds reasuring!!! I have to admit I was disapointed, its like thats what Im waiting for to believe Im pregnant I am starting to show a little, you must be due in december too, whats your due date?
I think at 6 weeks the heart starts beating but I'm not sure about when you can actually hear it.
Capermom is correct it is about 6 weeks. I have military healthcare and I heard it on their machine (vaginal ultrasound) so I would think you could def. hear it at an OBGYN......point is military health care and equipment is usually out dated....lol!  I lost that pregnancy though, but I just wanted to comment.

Heather
My midwife wont check the heart beat until about 12 weeks. I guess its how good the equipment is to weather it picks it up. But yes heart starts to beat about six weeks. I cant wait to hear the heart beat. I had a scan last friday and saw the heart beating.
thanks guys, well my ob really didnt try that hard to find it, she took maybe a minute and said it was fairly early and at our next visit it would be easier to find, so I guess I have to wait till July 7 =( Ill keep you guys posted

two for Tea
My due date is December 24th.  When is yours?
I'm nine weeks, one day, and I saw the heartbeat on ultrasound today for the first time!  Wow--what a rush.  I can't wait to actually hear it!!
I found out about 3 weeks ago that I'm pregnant, and I will have my first ultrasound (8 1/2 weeks) on Wednesday.  I'm excited and looking forward to it but was not quite sure what to expect.  The doctor said I should be able to see the heartbeat, does this seem reasonable?
I pregnant and my boyfriend wants me to have an abortion. But I don't know what I want so how do I tell him to back off it isn't his body that has to have the abortion
I heard my first daughters heartbeat at 7 weeks! they went to look for it and warned me it was early , but found it and it was wonderful! this pregnancy I heard it at 11 1/2 weeks only because it was my first doctors appointment!
You said it just tell him to back off it isn't his body.  If he loves you he will be there to support you no matter how young you are.  If he leaves are you prepared to have this baby on your own.  Do you have support from your family & friends.  If you have the support and you don't need him then go through with your pregnancy.  Having an abortion should not be an option, it will eat at you mentally, I speak from experience.  I don't know who you serve, but the God I serve never ever makes mistakes, and a baby is a blessing no matter what anyone tells you.  I will pray for you, that you make the right decision that is best for you, because it is all about you right now.  Please post more messages if you need more advice.  I am a 43 year mother of two and a grandmother of 1.  My son who is 21, is the father of my granddaughter who is 16 months old.  He is a wonderful dad, who not only takes care of his daughter but his girlfriend 4 year old daughter.  When he has one, he has the other.  So if your boyfriend loved you he would not be asking you to have an abortion.  It could be that he is scared because that was my son's solution to when he found out his girlfriend was pregnant.  I sat him down and told him that was not an option, and that if his girlfriend had an abortion she could hate him for the rest of his life for making her do something that she did not want to do.  I suggest talking to him, because he may be scared.  GOD Bless and good luck!
i heard my daughters heartbeat at 12weeks and my mdwife was really surprised she said it was actually the earliest shed ever heard one so dont worry,
im 11 weeks and just found out im pregnant,couldnt believe it ,done 6 tests b4 i went 2 the doctors lol..as im 39 not that i feel it ,i never thought i would get pregnant as my kids r 14 and 17 ...my partner has noy got kids so he soooo happy and i am also ...due date 22nd aug cant wait ..good luck 2 u allxx
I heard the heartbeat at 11 weeks with baby number 2 but not until 13 weeks with baby number 3.
i heard my babies heartbeat at 12 weeks 5 days with a doppler i bort off ebay.. at my 12 week appt midwife couldnt find it but 5 days later i found it .. its quite low down an i had 2 press quite hard in order 2 hear it. im now 14 weeks 1 day :)
im 8 weeks and 2 day and there was no heart beat and my doctor thinks i miscarried but i think it is to early to get a heart beat so i go for a fallow up ultrasound next week!!
im just 7weeks and dont know anything and worried.
As far as abortion... dont do anything that you cannot handle... Trust Me!... Im pregnant too... Im going on my 7th week... and my husband doesnt want any kids and he mentioned that to me too and i told him it isnt an option!