Maternal & Child Community
how much cereal and how often?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

how much cereal and how often?

I have another question.  I'm confused on how to start my baby on solids. (almost six months old)
I have introduced rice cereal by spoon.  I give her two tablespoons mixed with six tablespoons of water twice daily.
She doesn't finish all of it most times.
I plan to introduce green beans tomorrow...... I know to introduce only one veggie at a time....when do I give a fruit.... so confused, lol
Thanks for all the advise!  
My DD didnt like cereal so that was out of the question. I did things a bit backwards lol. I gave Allie fruits first. At about 4 -5 months lol. She did great with em and to this day still loves and i mean LOVES fruits and veggies.
They say fruit at 6 months, but its really up to u how u wanna do it. I see nothing wrong with with doing fruit first, but some babies wont eat veggies if u introduce fruit first, or so ive heard.
I actually started my son on solids a bit earlier (mom's influence, he he) and was told to introduce one different food a week.  That way, if there's an allergic reaction, you'll know which food it was. I do recommend you follow that idea. My son developed eczema for an allergic reaction and it is so much easier to know what it was that caused it (carrots).
The recommended amount of cereal is 3 to 9 tablespoons during the day and you can offer it divided into 2 or 3 times during the day.  Each child is different and if your baby doesn't eat all of it, try feeding smaller portions, more often.  Good luck!