Maternal & Child Community
how much should a 4 month old drink

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

how much should a 4 month old drink

hi my 4 1/2 month old is now on formula since he self weaned from me and he did this of his own choice no matter how much i offered the breast he would not have any just pushed with his whole body away from me, anyway he drinks about 5oz to 8oz depending on the day  but only 4 times a day he is dropping atleast 1 feed a day so i was wondering do i offer more solids or keep persuing to offer the bottle even tough he pushes it away or just lets it dribble out the side of his mouth. i know he must be getting enough cause he is a happy baby and very content even more than he was on the breast. any adive would be appreciated

thanks
Solids are just empty calories, I suggest to keep giving him formula.  My son is 3 months and drinks anywhere from 3 oz. to 5 1/2 oz. of formula a day.  You son knows when he's had enough.  When he pushes it away, just take it away.  He will tell you when he's hungry again.  Formula is thicker than breastmilk so he may not need as much to keep him full.  
I'm sorry, not 3 to 5 1/2 a day, each feeding.  He eats like every 3 to 3 1/2 hours in between bottles.
my dd went through a phase after we started solids twice a day where she wasn't taking bottles very well. we eliminated the one of the solids meals and all of a sudden she's been fantastic at taking bottles! we only give her solids in the evening now. if she had her way, that would be all she'd get.
thanks ladies, i was just worrying about nothing i think that he hasn't wanted to feed due to it being so hot here
so HOT? not fair. i can't wait for summer :)
Is he pushing the bottle away after drinking from it or is he not wanting it at all? If he is pushing the bottle away after taking sips that could be his way telling you he full.

If he is not wanting the formula at all it could be that he might be ready for other liquids such as, cow milk, juices, or water ect...

Another reason he could be pushing the bottle away is he may be teething.

You might want to check with your babies pediatrician to make sure his intake in calories is fine for his age group. He should be consuming more solids then liquids because solids you give him should have more calories.

not to start a debate, but the info provided by nyett is inaccurate, according the the american academy of pediatrics solids can be introduced between 4 and 6 months, but milk or formula should be the primary source of nutrition. (and for those who debate 4 vs 6 months, the aap acknowledges a discrepancy in its policies. many of its statements say 4 to 6 months, BUT the committee that created the breastfeeding policies stated after 6 months. the benefits children receive from breast milk are maximized if solids are held off. my ped explained it's a matter of introducing foreign substances and proteins. children who receive formula are already exposed to foreign substances. but either way, formula or bm, solids are for introducing taste and texture).  i only post so that people looking this up in the future are provided with accurate info.

about giving juice to infants: http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics%3b107/5/1210
"The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that breast milk be the only nutrient fed to infants until 4 to 6 months of age.36 For mothers who cannot breastfeed or choose not to breastfeed, a prepared infant formula can be used and is a complete source of nutrition. No additional nutrients are needed. There is no nutritional indication to feed juice to infants younger than 6 months. Offering juice before solid foods are introduced into the diet could risk having juice replace breast milk or infant formula in the diet. This can result in reduced intake of protein, fat, vitamins, and minerals such as iron, calcium, and zinc.37 Malnutrition and short stature in children have been associated with excessive consumption of juice.4,38

After approximately 4 to 6 months of age, solid foods can be introduced into the diets of infants. The AAP recommends that single-ingredient foods be chosen and introduced 1 at a time at weekly intervals. Iron-fortified infant cereals or pureed meats are good choices for first weaning foods. Because foods high in iron are recommended as weaning foods, beverages that contain vitamin C do not offer a nutritional advantage for iron-sufficient individuals.
It is prudent to give juice only to infants who can drink from a cup (approximately 6 months or older)."

about solids (from AMA:- http://www.medem.com/search/article_display_for_printer.cfm?path=\\TANQUERAY\M_ContentItem&mstr=/M_ContentItem/ZZZQP2UNK9C.html&soc=AMA&srch_typ=NAV_SERCH)
"Sometime between 4 and 7 months of age - depending on your preference, your baby's readiness, and your pediatrician's advice - solid foods will probably be added to your baby's diet. Avoid the urge to feed solid foods to younger babies, since this may leave them more prone to later food allergies. Your baby will still be getting regular feedings of breast milk or formula, so solid foods are just "extras" for now. There's no need to worry about how much solid food your baby is eating. Keep this time fun and relaxed, and you'll introduce your baby to the rewards of enjoying good food. "

for all of aap nutrition policies: http://www.aap.org/visit/nutrpolicies.htm

This is not a debate!!!
Please re-read my post for it is educating alternatives and not advising what to do but to talk with the babies pediatrician before taking anyone's advise.
Therefore, my post is accurate...I am educating based on my child's pediatrician, nutritionist and occupational therapist...

I do not post inaccurate information all my info is based on my child's experience with  his doctors and therapists. Our situations may differ but that doesn't mean inaccurate.