Maternal & Child Community
how much should a 7 week old eat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

how much should a 7 week old eat

my son is a horrible eater he cant ever find the nipple on the bottle and recently bee crying at one point in the feedig he drinks 2 oz n stops then i have to wake him up to  drink the other 3
It just depends on the baby.  I know my daughter ate a lot at 7 weeks, but she was a big baby.  2 oz is a little, he should eat at least 4 oz.  I dont know if there really is a set amount, but to stay healthy, I would think 4oz every 2 or 3 hrs. should be what he eats.  My daughter was eating like 8oz every 4hrs. and then she would puke a LOT of it back up, which meant she was getting too much.
yeah he drinks 4-5 oz but hes a very slow eater
i am sure that is normal.  if he doesnt start gaining weight, then i would start getting a little concerned.  good luck.
i had a lot of feeding issues with my dd. it took her an hour at least to eat 3 ounces. she would lose half of it dribbling. it was torture. we tried every nipple under the sun until we found one that worked for her. try different shaped nipples and different flows. dd needed a medium flow orthodontic nipple.

by the way, she didn't take 4 ounces til after 3 months. now at 5 months she still only takes up to 4 most feeds, occasionally more, occasionally less (although it's breast milk- i think babies take more if it's formula). every baby is different in the amount they take in a feed.
Welcome to the club! My daughter is the worst eater in earth! Giving her a bottle is always a nightmare. She is now 4 months old and only averages 4oz per feeding (6 - 7 bottles/day). Her doc is not concerned, as she is within the same percentile she was born. But as a mom, I can't help it but worry that she is not getting enough. I already tried all kinds of bottles in the market (not to mention formulas), but nothing seems to make a difference. Thank God she is very healthy. Never had a thing, even though we already even traveled abroad. I guess she is in fact getting the nutrition she needs. And I will just have to live with the fact that my baby won't be the chubby type!