Maternal & Child Community
how much should a 8 week old eat?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

how much should a 8 week old eat?

How much should a typical 8 week old eat?  My daughter was 10 lbs at her 4 week appointment.  She is currently eating only 15-19 ozs a day.  I thought I heard that an infant should eat 2-3 ozs for each lb.  Has anyone else heard this?  She is getting breast milk through a bottle.  I was told that when breast fed that they should have 4-5 soiled and 5-6 wet diapers a day.  I definitely get the 5-6 wet diapers but get only one soiled diaper a day.  Is she getting enough nutrition?  I will ask her pediatrician on Monday.  I would list like to get your thoughts.  Everyone was so supportive the whole 9 mos I was pg that I feel better with your thoughts/opinions.
Gosh my 9 month old son has 21 oz a day along with food, that does seem like a small amount to be having in one day, how much was your daughter born?
Is your daughter losing weight? or maintaining?
She was 9 lbs when born.  Only gaining 1 lb a month.  My 1st gaines 3 lbs a month at this time and my 2nd 2 lbs a month.  
While the stools will slow down, she should be eating on demand. Don't worry about ounces as that doesn't apply to breastfed babies anyway. Feed her when she is hungry and make sure when you are pumping that you are pumping long enough to draw out the hind milk. Some of the cheaper pumps aren't very adept at doing that, so you may need to rent a hospital grade one to keep your supply up and draw out the hindmilk.

At 9 weeks my babies all nursed fanatically. Anywhere from 10-12 feedings a day.
mine is only eating 4-5 times a day.  But all children are different.
My son was 9lb born too, I agree with andi maybe the hind milk isn't coming through, although I have been told if you pump from breast or put baby to it, baby gets all it needs in the first ten minutes.
thank you for that information
A baby is much more efficient than any pump, even the hospital grade pumps. While a baby who is well versed at nursing can empty the breast in 7-10 minutes, it usually take suntil they are much older.

Definitely nurse when possibile, save pumping for when absolutely necessary. Your baby will self regulate much btetter on the breats and won't get fooled by excess air getting into the bottle or missing out on the hind milk.
The advice I was given when I pumped for my first that was a baby fed solely on pumped breast milk should take between 24 and 30 oz per day from one month of age to six months of age but of course every child is different and weight gain should be a measure of if baby is feeding enough, is your doc concerned with her weight gain right now? Try small frequent feeds (I would say max 3 hours between feeds right now, 4 hours at night and 3 to 4 oz per feed). Andi is right; a good breastpump is an absolute must to get the hind milk, either rent a hospital grade or a double electric such as Ameda or Medala would be the only ones I would use, cheaper and manual ones only really express the fore milk, which is fine for an odd bottle feed here or there but not what you want if you are exclusivly pumping. Another tip to get that hind milk; when you pump and the milk flow stops keep pumping for a while longer, I know that if I carry on pumping for 5-10 minutes after the milk has apparantley stopped I will get another let down, which is then rich hind milk. If all else fails you may need to talk to your doc about supplementing with some formula for a while to help get her weight gain on track, I hope you don't have to do this though and that some of the ideas people give you today will help.
Best wishes.
As long as she seems satisfied, is gaining weight and wetting diapers as you stated, then everything should be just fine. You really can't put a number on breastmilk. Best wishes.
It sounds like the only concern is the number of soiled dipes rather than wet ones, and maybe this is just a baby making more efficient use of the food in breast milk so there aren't as many soiled ones.  Definitely let the rate of weight gained be your guide.  Good luck!