Maternal & Child Community
how to tell the difference between implantation bleeding and breakthrou...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

how to tell the difference between implantation bleeding and breakthrough bleed

How do you tell the difference between implantation bleeding and breakthrough bleeding? I ovulate early (based on last pregnancies and shorter than 28 day cycles). I had my last real period 15 days ago. A couple days ago I started spotting brown which was only visible when wiping. Then it turned to actual spotting - could see a little on a panty liner - now it is a little heavier but still not a real period - just something between spotting and a light bleed. But it isn't like my normal periods. So I"m wondering if it follows the pattern of implantation bleeding, or if it is ovulation bleeding (something I've never had before) or if I"m just all out of whack hormonally speaking. Which would be wierd timing fo this to happen since I've been normal and now I've been ttc for 2 months and now this. Ugh - it is enough to drive you nuts, isn't it?
I could be wrong but I don't think you would know which it is until able to take a hpt and if it was positive it might be considered implantation bleeding.  Remember though - implantation bleeding is rare and it is very common to have irregular periods or in between bleeding.  Good luck!
I am having some type of bleeding...brownish discharge and is turning light pink with light small tissue-like stuff falling. Nothing that requires a pad but I did go to the ER last night. They said one of two things could have happened since there was no gestational sac viewed in the ultrasound:

1) My bloodwork and unine showed positive pregnancy but still could be too early in the pregnancy to see a sac on the ultrasound...

2) I've already miscarried.

I've already been to see three different doctors. The first one said I was 12 to 14 weeks (by measuring my uterus), the second said I was 8 weeks (measuring uterus), and the third said 4 to 6 weeks (blood and measuring uterus). Can this be a miscarriage or is there still hope that my baby is ok??? Has this happened to anyone before???
Well, pretty sure it is neither at this point. Last night it definitely became heavier - looking more like a normal period now - except it came just 2 wks after my last one. I have an annual PAP scheduled for the end of next month. Hopefully things will normal out here and I'll be prego by the PAP appt. But it is discouraging that all of the plumbing was working fine until TTC - now all of a sudden 2 periods in the same month?! I don't think it is a MC because I tested last month and this month to be sure - and negative.  By the way - Dollar Tree has tests and they measure 25mlU/ml which I think is pretty darn sensitive. They aren't as convenient or fancy - but my Doc's office says they work just the same as any other.  FYI for you impatient TTCs like me - if you waste 5 tests - that's $5 and not $60.
  i had conisation two times and have no child of late after unprotected sex bright red bleeding without clots and light same time i have periods is this implantation bleeding? IF SO WHEN CAN I TAKE PREGNANCY TEST?