Maternal & Child Community
husband may have flu...anyone have/had the flu while pregnant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I think my husband may have the flu...he has the symptoms esp. the body aches. What if I get it? Will it harm the baby? I'm 21 weeks pregnant. I go to the dr. this afternoon for reg appt. should I mention my concerns? Anyone out there had the flu while pregnant? What was your experience. Thanks
I'm afraid that a fever could harm the baby. I'm not sure about the flu, though. Just try to avoid a lot of contats with DH untill he's fine, wash your hands more often than usual, don't drink from the same cup and don't eat from the same plate. If he's sneezing stay away from him. Just for safety reasons. I'm sure you'll be fine. You're half way already!!!
I had a really bad case of the flu right before I m/c in January. But you are MUCH further along than I was (I was only 5-6 weeks). I know my doctor told me to avoid the flu at all costs but many women have the flu while pg and the babies are fine. Call your doctor to see what signs you have to look out for. I know you need to keep fevers down because a high temp can hurt the baby. Good luck.
Thanks everyone! The flu is going around early where I live..Upshur county texas. My DH has some signs but I'm not sure..no fever...he can't get off work to go to the dr. till tomorrow so he can't get a flu test till then. Will ask my dr about flu shot this afternoon. The flu is early this yr. Hope I don't have to worry about it. It is getting close to that time of yr. thanks for sharing your experiences.
I had a terrible flu with my first pregnancy. I was about 6 months along. I think you feel 10 times worse with the flu pregnant becuase there is not much you can take to help! i ran a fever of 103 for a good 2 days with the shakes and aches. Doctor said to just keep hydrated and take tylenol and baby was well protected. baby was just fine!!!
when I was 18 weeks pregnant with our 2nd daughter I was very ill with the flu and became very dehydrated since I couldn't keep any fluids in me at all.  Anything I drank hit my stomach and came right back up.  I ended up at the hospital on IV to replenish my fluids.  
Good news is the baby was fine and she is a healthy, active 17month old now.  
I too am pregnant so congratulations to you and let's hope we stay healthy this flu season.  Good Luck