Maternal & Child Community
hydrocodone and being pregnant.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

hydrocodone and being pregnant.

can anybody tell me what is the possibilties in taking hydrocodone (Lortab) and being pregnant?what are the chances in delievering a heathly baby if stopped taking this medicine at 8 months?Was taking a high does but cut back to only (1-2) 7.5mgs a day.Was taking up to (4-5) 10.650mgs a day.I know some people that their doctors gave them this medicine for headaches and very bad pain problems.I had a very bad back injury and now being pregnant it is worse I also have very bad headaches every now and then.I had this medicine before i got pregnant and had refills that is why i still have it.Alot of people tell me it will not do anyhting as lng as i stopped at least a month or so before baby was born but i know anything and everything has a chance of harming the baby.I just need to hear from others that went throught it.I know that this is not as bad as drinking and doing cocaine I dont like to compare myself to anybody but I take this for pain not to just take it I know a girl that drank and done cocaine throught her whole pregnancy and her baby has been checked and the doctors say everything is fine and she is heathly Im sure there is going to be problems when she gets older but I want to know if I am looking at those problems as well?The doctors tells you that you can take tylonal and that is 500mgs a pill and with my pain I need 2 at a time I even had to take up to 6 in one day with the headaches in all the doctors said that was fine.But dont you think if (1-2) Hydrocodone help my pain with only 500mgs rather thatn all then tylonals?Only 7mgs of hydrocodone Please let me no
I was taking the high does before I got pregnant.Cut back as soon as I found out at 4 weeks.tweety28
I am not sure about taking it for that length of time, but my Dr. gave it to me to take for headaches from 14-18 weeks. He said that I could take 2 every 4-6 hours but I only took one per day and it was the lowest mg. You should check with your Dr. Good Luck!
Shannon
edd 4/14/04
Before I found out I was pregnant I had had bad sinus infection.  I was on strong antibodics and also had IV therapy to get rid on the infection.  (About 5 weeks at the time) After I found out I was preg. I asked my dr. and he said that they could not tell if the baby was affected.  He also said that if they had know I was preg they would have put me on other meds.  I don't know if this is what caused me to lose my son, but I would talk to the doctor before taking an antibodics.
Well Im not sure what that medication is and hope you find your answer but am also hoping if someone can tell me if I take oral antibiotics for a throat infection streptococcus what will it do to a cycle while ttc and if fertilazation occurs does it have any effects?
First off, from the responses to this question, I do not believe that most people know what Hydrocodone is.  Hydrocodone is a presription NARCOTIC used for moderate to severe pain.  It is always combined with another OTC drug (as it is a combination drug) such as Ibruprofen, Acetaminophen, cortisone, etc.  This drug works by binding to opioid receptors in the brain and spinal cord, and acetaminophen decreases the formation of prostaglandins, therefore reducing pain.  Moreover, it is a CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE and exceeding the recommended dose or taking this medicine for longer than prescribed may be habit-forming.  

Let me say that it isn't the amount of mg of the drug you are taking but WHAT IT IS that you are taking that matters.  You see, Tylenol is ACETAMINOPHEN which has been tested as relatively safe during pregnancy.  Lortab (which is brand name Hydrocodone) is BOTH ACETAMINOPHEN and an ADDED NARCOTIC.  IT IS CONTRAINDICATED DURING ANY STAGE OF PREGNANCY.  

I understand that you care deeply about your baby.  We all know of people that did horrible things during their pregnancies such as your friend who used cocaine and alcohol ... let me tell you... she is simply lucky.  And, as you stated, we have no idea the long term effects her actions have had on her baby.

I implore you to speak to your doctor about managing your pain safely while pregnant.  You should NEVER take prescription, or for that matter OTC drugs without consulting your doctor.  Your OB needs to know that you have been taking your old prescription so that he/she may advise you how to correctly ween yourself from this potentially dangerous drug.

Good luck and my prayers are with you.

Kathryn
It isn't always contraindicated in pregnancy.  Kathryn's insight is well-intended but not well-informed.  Before pregnancy I never experienced migraines, rarely did I even have headaches for that matter, and a few weeks into both my pregnancies experienced MONSTER MIGRAINES that caused me to end up in the emergency room where a shot of demerol with phenergan was given.  I was very nervous about allowing the shot but the hospital told me that the high bp and stress from migraine was worse and that demerol has been safely used in pregnancies for years.  SO they prescribed me Tylenol 3 for the migraines.  I researched it heavily because all my relatives who found out about the prescription made me feel like a horrible mother.  What I learned is that with codeine there is no clearly proven negative side effect except in long-term use at term.

Nonetheless, along came one of my RN friends to FREAK out and tell me that OMG THAT COULD CAUSE BIRTH DEFECTS.  So, shaking, I went to my doctor and asked about it.  Both doctors I spoke to told me that untreated migraines are bad for mother and baby and under no circumstances should a woman feel that suffering through them is the right choice rather than take a medication her doctor deems safe.  Further, she told me that codeine and hydrocodone (which she had ended up prescribing b/c the codeine was worthless for the migraines) have been safely used in thousands and thousands of pregnancies under a doctor's supervision and that my primary concern should be avoiding addiction since my migraines are almost daily.

I have two other girlfriends who experienced terrible hormone migraines during pregnancy; one was prescribed fioricet and the other was prescribed hydrocodone.  Both warned me not to mention I was being treated to anyone because everyone thinks they know better than the doctor when it comes to a pregnant uterus; for example, my uncle warned me against taking a business trip because I would have to fly even though I would only be 12 weeks along.  He told me it was irresponsible because "Why take any chances?"  That's what everyone says.  But there are no unnecessary risks in doing what one's doctor has given the okay on.

So don't feel you have to suffer.  Your doctor should treat you for your pain.

Good luck.
Well.... I have been taking hydrocodone (Norco 10/325)) for migraines durring my pregnancy. I would like to stop taking them. Is it healthy to go through withdrawl (withdrawal) while pregnant?? Will it hurt the baby? I am so upset, PLEASE Help!
I am 6 months pregnant and have been taking Vicodin for 3 months now.  I take anywhere from 1 to 5 a day, depending on the pain and number of headaches.  This has been prescribed to me by my OB.  A few months before I got pregnant, I was thrown out of a car and had a serious head injury (required almost 30 stitches).  This also caused nerve damage resulting in permanent loss of all smell and about 75% loss of taste.  I fought hard for those first 3 months of pregnancy and didn't take anything for the severe headaches and neck pain, but starting at about 13 weeks I couldn't stand it anymore.  My OB seems to be fine with prescribing this to me and my ultrasound looked fine.  I am trying to taper myself down gradually and will try to go without during my last few weeks of pregnancy.  Sometimes I feel as though my head is actually going to explode and I can't stand any noise or light, so it is going to be really hard.  I feel the same way that you do.  I have two children already and never took a thing while pregnant with them, but my health has changed extremely since then.  I pray day and night that this baby will be fine and that yours will also.  If anybody out there has been through this simililar situation, PLEASE TELL US YOUR STORIES AND GIVE US SOME INSIGHT ON WHAT TO EXPECT AT BIRTH!
I have been over on the babycenter board and there is a thread under chronic conditions for moms on pain meds.  It has been tremendously helpful.  Big hugs to you...my little Arthur is due in March and of all the things I worry about, thankfully hydro is the last.  I am more concerned about getting switched to Midrin next week (no real studies have been done).  Best wishes.  Hopefully I will catch you on the bbc.
hey i am a mommy to a 10 month old baby girl. i will say that i was in the partying stage when i was pregnant and didnt know that i was. i didnt find out that i was pregnant until i was like 2 months. i smoked cigarettes, i was drinking, BUT I DIDNT KNOW I WAS PREGNANT. i was taking birth control pills that only made me have 4 periods a year. so i didnt know, but as soon as i found out that i was pregnant i stop everything!!!!!  come to find out i have a beautiful daughter that is very healthey. i am not 14 weeks and 5 days pregnant with my second...yes a BIG suprise...and i have been having the worst headaches EVER! i take soooo much tylenol a day, its not even funny. i know that they say tylenol will "eat" out ur stomach---but i have no other choice.....i take well over 8 tylenol 500 mg or more a day....i am so worried. and i have been thinking about asking my doctor to prescribe me something for my headaches-----they are so terrible. i wear contacts and glasses, so i thought that is where they were coming from---but no i went home one night took my glasses off and turned the lights out and tv off---and was still in pain. if someone can please talk to me that would be just great!
Ibuprofen is the one that is hard on your tummy, and is not okay in pregnancy.  Tylenol is really bad to overdose on as it affects your liver and you will not notice any problems as it is damaging your liver.  Definitely talk to your Dr. and see if there's something they can give you to help.
I have a very healthy 16 month old baby boy and I took them during my pregnancy for severe back pain. He came out very happy and healthy as long as you take it as perscribed and dont over due it I dont think there is any harm in being out of pain yourself. It is unhealthy if you are in constant stree and are unable to relax due to pain of headaches. I am now 8 months pregnant and well and the same thing has happend, he is always moving and very healthy so I wouldnt strees yourself out to much girl! Good luck and best wishes
my doc has had me on hydrocodone 10/650mg 1 to 2 tablets every 4 to 6 hours for the last 6 1/2 years and i have had 2 children since then and both were just fine just as smart as my first child which i did not take the medication during pregnancy but there again my doc had put me on it and i only took as perscribed but still it was a lot of medication so its ok to take it if it is perscribed to you by your doc and he knows all of you history and conditions
Pain meds during pregnancy I feel is safer than constant pain.  With my first child 10 years ago, I did everything as the book said to do.  I took nothing, not even a tylenol, drank no caffeine, and no sugar.  At the term of my pregnancy, my child was stillborn.  With my second I was given hydrocodone for severe tooth and headaches.  I took 1-2 7.5 mg. per day for about 4 weeks straight and she came out healthy and smart.  I am now pregnant again, 16 weeks along and if I have severe pain I will take something rather than suffer like I did with the first one that died at birth.  My point is that just because you act as a saint mother to your unborn child does not mean he or she will be fine.  I believe constant pain puts more stress on the unborn child than a pain killer does.   That is, as long as it is not overdone.  Don't take it unless that is the only thing left to do to give some relief.
Lortab/Vicadin/Hydrocodone None of these are great for a headache.  They can actually induce a headache.  It's not a great med to take with preg. if I remember correctly its in the category of "if the benefit outways the risk" which for me NEVER did but that was my choice I'm not judging anyone I'm stating a fact for ME not anyone else.  I'm very judgement of/toward myself and MY decisions so if I sound that way please understand that I mean it as if I"M in the situation.  I never would and I have had severe back issues.  I suffered through it however it was my 4th child and I knew what was pregnancy induced pain etc.  Good Luck
Obviously you must not have been in any real pain. Like on a scale of 1 to 10, a 10.
If you knew, that is extremely unbearable;it can make a grown man cry like a baby unbearable. If you had ever experience any pain like that, you would know that it would be damaging to the mother and the baby. A doctor will tell you when in pain, (that is truely unbearable), it is more irresponsible to DEAL with it than to be treated, as the FETAL stress can cause a misscarriage, when compared to taking the medication in the second trimester, a strong pain releiver like hydrocodone, if taken as directed is much safer. But, it is important to wean down gradually to nothing before delivery, prefferably at 36 weeks.
I would just like to say that I suffer from lots of pain and have medical problems, you see I just found out that I am pergnant and this will be number 3 and my last for after this one I have to have surgary. I know what it is like to worry what the harms can be from taking hydrocodone while pergnant and went through it with my 2nd and now with my 3rd. My daughter is now almost 2 and she was born healthy and happy and very chubby at 8lbs 14oz and 19 in long there were no side affects and none reported to date. I agree if you need it its better to be stress free and comfy then putting your body through what is doesn't need at a time when you need it to be at its best. Listen to your doctor if they don't want you to do something then they will tell you and listen to yourself your body will always tell you what it needs. Don't sweat over it if you don't have to there is so much going on that you don't need to handle anymore than you should. It will all be OK and thats all you have to remember. Whats meant to be will be, take care of yourself and all should be well. Good Luck to all of you!!!
I used to suffer from migraine headaches and I was on (by Dr. Precriptions)  Hydrcodone 10mg, Valium 2mg, Bupap 50mg, cymbalta 60mg and many others that I had been on, I also took Ibuprophen as needed.  I started going down hill I woke up with a bad hangover effect every morning,  and I was not drinking for years I had suffered with sever migraines.  I lost precious time with my children and family.  It was so bad that everyone knew if I was going to or was having a migraine because my face would turn red as if I had an allergic reaction.  I was so sick I could not even stop vomiting with the headaches daily.  I found a Dr. in Houston I was admitted in the Hospital for 6 days and reversed the cycle and put me thru an extensive detox due to all the prescription meds.  I have been headache free for 2 1/2 months now.  I do take some meds but none are narcotics and I am by far not advertising for him.  I just want to share this information with people who suffered like me.  I am a new woman and my life has changed in so many ways.  I take each day when I wake up as a blessing and thank god each morning and I owe alot to this Doctor.  He takes most insurances when I went he was not a provider for Humana but I just took that leap and took out a loan hoping that this would work.  It worked.  I don't want to have headaches again.   I almost fear having one beacause it so great to wake up every morning pain free.  This Clinic is called The Houston Headache Clinic and the Hospital has a dedicated wing just for patients who suffer from migraine headaches and while in detox you do not suffer they are constantly checking on you and making sure you at a comfort level.  The doctor already has all the orders of any kind of syptom (symptom) so if it does happen they just order from the pharmacy and its taken care of.  For all you Ladies who have suffered from migraines your life can change tremendously.  I have a new life and like I said I was just so desperate that I was willing to try anything.  Look up his website and give him a call ask for Brenda she is the receptionist wonderful and understanding.   My name is Vilma I am just a patient who travels 4 1/2 hours to see this Doctor and he changed my life.
I am 5 months pregnant and worry everyday that the meds I take will hurt my baby...I now take Ambien every night and 2mg of Klonopin when anxiety takes over...I have bipolar disorder and stopped all medicine when I found out..I also was in a bad wreck over a year ago and have surgery on my neck and my back is in bad shape...I stopped all pain meds but since I am starting to "grow" my neck and back are killing me, my boobs are now a DDD...I am going to the Dr this week to see about taking my Hydo's again because the pain is bad..it was great reading what you all wrote and I will keep you posted.
I am a doctor and am appalled that others are even prescribing Hydrocodone to a pregnant female. Hydrocodone is a NARCOTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Why would you even risk it when you are pregnant???  You are the mother and here to protect your baby.  There are other things you can do.  Headaches and back pain are the easiest symptoms a chiropractor can treat and heal.  Maybe you should try a natural form of treatment while you are pregnant.
Im 14 weeks prego. The OB gave my 7.5 hydros because im in so much pain. I asked if it will make the baby slow or messed it up in anyway. He said no. The only thing they worry about is the baby getting hooked on it. Im scared to take them. But im  in pain. Just try not to take some much. One a day! Beginning of my pregnancy i was taking them for tooth acke which  wasnt giving by the DRS. I was very hooked and had withdrawns during pregnancy. It was hard but i wanted the baby to be okay. Now i only take it if they give it to me. Good Luck! Im on high risk anyways and having a hard time. Add me on FB and Ill talk to you about it better
I was in two bad car wrecks last year and had back surgery in Oct of last year and shoulder surgery in Dec. I was on lortab 10/650 three times a day. I found out in Jan I was pregnant. My pain management Dr let me take the meds til I was 20 weeks. I am suffering with migraInes bad and my ob prescribed fioricet. I also have anxiety problems and he prescribed aterax. I am 31 weeks pregnant now and still take these meds. Everything looks ok so far. I am worried if these meds will affect her.
your the kind of doctor id love to punch in the face.
If Hydrocodone is soooooo horrible during pregnancies to treat pain such as kidney stones, as well as other unbearable pains, why are they being prescribed by a large number of drs????? Also, how do u suggest these horrible pains be treated "naturally"?  I have had kidney stones since I was 15, (genetics) and I'm now 34 weeks pregnant with more stones in both kidneys.  Soooo.....do u suggest I am not a good mom by taking this pain med my Dr. Prescribed to me?  Have u ever had a kidney stone?  I am not trying to be ugly, just trying to understand your comment.  
I am 33 yrs old and been confined to a wheelchair, w/ Muscular Dystrophy and Scoliosis, since I was 15. I now have 3 beautiful, healthy children and I took Hydrocodone throughout all 3 of my pregnancies.