Maternal & Child Community
hydrops

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

hydrops

I would like to know what the latest findings are for babies diagnosed with hydrops.   My daughter is 20 weeks
pregnant and just learned yesterday that her baby has fluid around the heart, abdomin (abdomen), and lymph nodes on the
neck.   She has been advised to terminate the pregancy this week as they told her the baby is dying and poses a
risk for her to continue carrying it.  I believe they may be doing more tests today.  (Nov. 3-09)
I am very sad and not sure if I should suggest anything.   She is in California and I am in Texas.   Very
hard right now.
Tags: hydrops, Baby
I copied this for you, from the Univ. of Virgina's High Risk Pregnancy website:  It may answer a few of your questions.
--------------------------------------------

What is hydrops fetalis?

Hydrops fetalis is a severe, life-threatening problem of severe edema (swelling) in the fetus and newborn. It is also called hydrops. There are two types of hydrops:

* immune - results when the mother's immune system causes breakdown of red blood cells in the fetus. This is the most dangerous problem of blood group incompatibility between the mother and baby.

* non-immune - the most common type; can result when diseases or complications interfere with the baby's ability to manage fluid.

What causes hydrops fetalis?

Hydrops develops when too much fluid leaves the bloodstream and goes into the tissues. Many different diseases and complications can cause hydrops, including the following:

* Immune hydrops may develop because of Rh disease in the mother. When an Rh negative mother has an Rh positive baby, the mother's immune system sees the baby's Rh positive red blood cells as "foreign." When the mother's antibodies attack the foreign red blood cells, they are broken down and destroyed, resulting in anemia. Hydrops can develop as the baby's organs are unable to compensate for the anemia. The heart begins to fail and large amounts of fluid build up in the baby's tissues and organs.

* Non-immune hydrops includes all other diseases or complications that may interfere with the baby's ability to manage fluid. There is no one mechanism to explain non-immune hydrops. Some of the diseases or complications that are often associated with hydrops include the following:

o severe anemias
          o congenital infections (infections present at birth)
          o heart or lung defects
          o chromosomal abnormalities and birth defects
          o liver disease

Who is affected by hydrops fetalis?

Immune hydrops is not as common as it used to be since the widespread use of Rh immunoglobulin treatment for Rh negative women. Non-immune hydrops occurs rarely. Premature babies with hydrops are at increased risk. The incidence of hydrops can vary between populations.
Why is hydrops fetalis a concern?

The severe edema that occurs with hydrops can overtake the baby's organ systems. About half of unborn babies with hydrops do not survive. Risks are also high for babies born with hydrops, with survival often depending on the cause and treatment.
What are the symptoms of hydrops fetalis?

The following are the most common symptoms of hydrops fetalis. However, each baby may experience symptoms differently.

During pregnancy, symptoms may include:

* large amounts of amniotic fluid

* thickened placenta

* ultrasound of the fetus shows enlarged liver, spleen, or heart, and fluid buildup in the fetus' abdomen

After birth, symptoms may include:

* pale coloring
    * severe edema overall, especially in the baby's abdomen
    * enlarged liver and spleen
    * respiratory distress (difficulty breathing)

The symptoms of hydrops fetalis may resemble other conditions or medical problems. Always consult your baby's physician for a diagnosis.
How is hydrops fetalis diagnosed?

In addition to a complete medical history and physical examination, diagnostic procedures for hydrops fetalis may include:

* ultrasound - a diagnostic imaging technique which uses high-frequency sound waves and a computer to create images of blood vessels, tissues, and organs. Ultrasounds are used to view internal organs as they function, and to assess blood flow through various vessels.

* fetal blood sampling - done by placing a needle through the mother's uterus and into a blood vessel of the fetus or the umbilical cord.

* amniocentesis - withdrawing some of the amniotic fluid for testing.

Treatment for hydrops fetalis:

Specific treatment for hydrops fetalis will be determined by your baby's physician based on:

* your baby's gestational age, overall health, and medical history
    * extent of the disease
    * your baby's tolerance for specific medications, procedures, or therapies
    * expectations for the course of the disease
    * your opinion or preference

Treatment of hydrops depends on the cause. During pregnancy, hydrops may be treatable only in certain situations. Management of hydrops in newborn babies may include:

* help for respiratory distress using supplemental oxygen or a mechanical breathing machine

* removal of excessive fluid from spaces around the lungs and abdomen using a needle

* medications to help the kidneys remove excess fluid
hi, i dont know what your current status is now. the best advice that I can give you if the fetus is still alive, is to find out the root cause by amnio. some is treatable and some is not. I have been researching this as I am 31 weeks pregnant and will learn the root cause.
thought they say the earlier it is found the less likely the fetus will survive. make sure the doctors inform you of everything, base cause and all your options.
good luck, pls keep us updated.
christina

there is a wonderful support group on facebook to connect with other mothers with their babies whove had hydrops.
christina
Hi i am 24 weeks pregnant today.... and was told 4 weeks ago that my baby has hydrops and they have no clue what is the cause of it ..... they say that i could go to the dr. this week and the heartbeat be gone so i am super paronoid about it but at the same time im looking at like there is only one person that can say weither my baby is gonna die and its not the drs.....ive told my drs. that i want to deliver as soon as i can cuz the longer my baby is is inside me the less of a chance he has to live... but if he is out they can moniter him 24/7 plus drain the fluid from him