Maternal & Child Community
i am pregnant but when the did the ultrasound they didnt see anything a...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

i am pregnant but when the did the ultrasound they didnt see anything and they think im 5 weeks

i went and got a test that showed positive.they said i was 5 weeks but when i went to the doctor i had a pudge so they thought i was more.then they did a vaginal ultrasound and they didnt see anything.is this bad?
what did they base 5 weeks on? the blood test? your lmp? i think hcg varies so much from women to women and pregnancy to pregnancy, that it is impossible to determine how far along you are based on that. If they based it on your LMP, it's possible you ovulated late. did they say what the next step is? i would imagine they want more blood tests, and another u/s in a few weeks. (by the way, by a pudge are you referring to belly or is it a term for something else that i am unfamiliar with?) until then, it's hard to say what's going on with you.  could be ectopic, could be a missed miscarriage or chemical pregnancy. OR, you could be fine, and you're just too early to be seeing something.
I was almost 7 weeks before they could see my baby.  So don't fret too much about not finding the baby on the 5 week u/s.  Set up another u/s for 2-3 weeks and you should be doing better.
I was also almost 6 weeks and had cramping ended up in the ER, went for ultrasound, nothing found, they told me I was having a miscarriage (again) and so I went home waiting to bleed. Didn't bleed, went for blood work a few days later and my HCg levels were way up. Went for another ultrasound at 11 weeks, there was a baby in there sucking its thumb.  My best friend is an US tech and she was a little bewildered why they didn't see anything at 6 weeks, but it is only as good as the tech gets, besides everybody is built different. So don't worry until you have another ultrasound later. I am now 16 weeks and "healthy" pregnancy..  Good luck!