Maternal & Child Community
i think im pregnant but test shows up negative

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I've been having unprotected sex with my boyfriend dotted around the past 5 weeks, and i have skipped my period by one week and been having lower abdominal discomfort, its felt like my period was going to happen and it just hasn't. I've never skipped a period in my life, and so i gathered it meant i was pregnant. I went for a test at my local brook centre yesterday and they told me it was negative but the nurse said she believes i am pregnant and i have to go back in a week if my period still hasn't come on. I've been eating more, where as i dont usually eat alot, my bodies been craving lots of food, like i said i've been having alot of abdomnial discomfort and i've been getting headches and feeling quite faint at times too and naseus. I don't know when the right time to test is, i don't want to go through the hassle of the brook centre again and would rather use home tests, but i'm not sure when to use them as we've been having unprotected sex for 5 weeks, right up to last night and could have concieved at any time. Could someone give me advice on whether it sounds like i already could be? I'm so confused!
It is very possible you are pregnant but I don't understand about the abdominal discomfort. What kind of discomfort is it? The discomfort, missed period, nausea, headaches, and cravings could be a pregnancy but I am pregnant with my third baby and other than when I had a cyst on my ovary with my last, I didnt' have any abdominal discomfort. Maybe it would help if you described your discomfort. As for testing, there's no particular time I could tell you to take a test. Sometimes it can take quite a while for the hormone levels to show in your urine. I was four or five weeks along with this pregnancy before having a pos. test. The best bet at geting fast results would be a blood test.
like a dull ache along the bottom of my abnomen. Like a dull period pain, not something i cant handle or need painkillers for. Ive taken two pregnancy tests now, both negative but still no sign of period and its 11 days late.
I agree with bettyblack, you should go to a doctor, or if the brook centre you mentioned can do it, get a blood test done. You can estimate how far you would be by counting the weeks from the FIRST day of your last period. This isn't necessarily how far along you are as you ovulate on a different day, and it's only after the egg implants that the pregnancy hormone begins to show on a pregnancy test. I would wait until you are two weeks late just to be sure if you want to take an at home pregnancy test again, but a blood test should be able to tell you now.
Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
I have taken two home pregnancy tests since, and i am now almost three weeks late for my period. I'm still having the symptoms, except now i am even waking up in the night for cravings, urinating more often and i feel a really strange feeling in my stomach, not the discomfort anymore, just feels really weird and like somethings definitely there. The tests are still showing up negative but i know as a woman that i am. I'm going to get a blood test next week and see. If that comes back negative i dont know what it all could be!
I think I might be pregnet I havent had my "friend" sence the end of augest 2009 its now jan 5 2010. Ive had 3 home tests nagative and one doc test also nagative. Ive been having nausia for about 3 months as well as decressed apitite and strange cravings for food i dont like. I have also noticed Ive gone up a cup and a half in my bra size from a c to a large d small dd. the doc ofice near me charges for pregnancy tests so I really would rather not go there as $25 plus transportation is expencive. I dont know what to do any help/ advice would be apriciated.
hey i have also had 2 home pregnancy test show up negative but my belly is getting bigger my nipples are soar and im really tired all day also im nauses only sometimes though it just depends i dont know what to do
i have missed 3 periods right in a row and all the urine test are neg, and the doc said not to worry until im 6 months late ... ok im half way there but REALLY scared... my husband and I want to be pregnant but my doc is not being helpful
I think im pregnant but I have a negative test and I am over 16 days late for my period and i alos have an iud and alot of stress lately i dont know if that is the cause of it I really dont want to be pregnant because im to young please help me!