Maternal & Child Community
im 30 weeks pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

im 30 weeks pregnant

im 30 weeks pregnant and my back hurts so bad.a fiend give me a vicoden and i need to know if it is safe to take one while pregnant.
Tags: pregnant
Its okay to take vicodin while pregnant however you may want to check with your doctor since he might be able to give you something else for you back aches. You don't want to take too many of them though since the baby could develop a dependancy before it is born.
Its considered safe.  Its a class "C" this class of drug is in the "grey area".  The most prescibed pain reliever in pregnancy are Vicoden, Lortab, and Pergocet.  Take it if you need it, if you don't HAVE to then don't.  Have you had it before??  If you have not then you should call a doctor or pharamcist I wouldnt' want you to have an alergic (allergic) reaction if this is a new drug you have never had experience with.  I have had two surgerys undergeneral anesthesia and been on pain meds during this pregnancy.. that how I know so much about it.  let me know if you have any more q's.  Hope you feel better soon, your almost there!
A class "C" drug is NOT considered safe!  As Mom2be530 said "it is in the grey area" - this means that the drug has been shown to damage the fetus of rats BUT no adequate studies have been done with the human fetus.  In other words, there is a possibility of negative effects.  Bare in mind, that even though you may hear many positive outcomes from people taking this drug during pregnancy, this does NOT reflect what will happen in your case.

Class "C" (and "D") drugs should ONLY be taken if the benefits outweigh the risks.  This is something to discuss w/ your doctor.  Furthermore, vicoden is a prescription drug - it is ILLEGAL for a friend to give you this medication and for you to take it.    So, your question becomes "should I take a drug that I obtained illegally, without my doctors consent, and may damage my baby?"  That is up to you.  However, I suggest you talk to your doctor about pain management options and device and plan together.

I was about to say the same thing - the friend should have never given this medication out.  That right there can get them thrown in jail.  I hate to see what happened if the drug did hurt the unborn fetus.  I would say ask your doctor for a prescription and not take other people's medicine.  Just my thoughts.
Most drugs are class "C", class "C"'s are often prescribed to pregnant women.  Most all of the drugs out there are in this class.  There are some class "A", even fewer class "B", most in "C", and the remainders under "D" are never prescribed to pregnant women.  Welbutrin- when it came out it was a class "B"- they lowered their standards to a class "C"- not because the FDA ordered it, but because that made them too much of a target.  There are other drugs that are the same.  

She did not ask if it was legal, she asked how to take it safely.  Apparently she was looking to use it, so I told her what she needed to know.  Is it better to have a pregnancy without drugs???  Yes.  Are their risks to consider?? Yes.  Should she talk with her doctor?? Yes.  But that wasn't her question at the time.
Does your doc know about this?
That's a very powerful drug! Did you try Tylenol first?
The question was whether vicoden is safe to take during pregnancy.  The short answer is NO - it is a Class C drug and the effects on the fetus are not yet known.

Drug classes are NOT defined, and based, on companies lowering their standards - they are based on scientific evidence and documented evidence.

I am fully aware that the original poster did not ask whether her taking a drug that was not prescribed to her was illegal or not.  However, in the event she was NOT aware of us, I felt it important to point this out due to possible legal ramifications.  What do you think would happen if she were to take something illegally and have an adverse reaction to that substance?  Also,since you have no idea of what other drugs the poster is on, or may be allergic too, simply stating the drug is safe or unsafe to take based on its classification alone is inappropriate.   As alaysha, Kellytexas,  jjerzeegirl, and myself have all suggested, the original poster should discuss the matter of pain management with her doctor.

Why dnt u try some hot water bag instead? I get this terrible backache sometimes specially when i walk about for longer hours...my midwife said she could give me a prescription but it'd be better if i cud avoid that altogether...and she also asked me to use a hot water bag instead...and it's much more effective...it takes some time but feels great....

whether u want to take the med or not but i'd advice u to talk to ur doc first...

and Mom2be530 u did say it's a safe drug when we dnt know whether it is safe or not...as spade22 rightly said that a class C drug hasn't been adequately tested on a human fetus...so u dnt know that yet!!!
No drug is safe to take without first discussing it with your doctor during pregnancy.  Even the list of over the counter drugs the doctor gave me that were considered ok to take I still made sure to clear it with my doctor first.  If I was feeling sick enough to take medication, then I felt that it was important to let my doctor know what was going on, just in case.  
nomatter what anyone says on here, or if it really will hurt your baby, if you take that pill, you will feel so guilty and will be worried sick, which could be the very least of your problems!  Talk to your doctor before you do anything.
whether its safe for you to take during your pregnancy, is only an answer your dr can give. i truly wouldnt recommend it. im 28w3d, and i too get bad back pains, but my dr clearly told me to only take tylenol. vicodin has many side effects, and its also a controlled substance. meaning it can be addictive, and your body can go through withdrawal when you stop depending on how long your on it. i would just discuss things with your dr, and way out a safer option.