Maternal & Child Community
immunization shots for or against?/OPEN FORUM if needed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I was just wondering what all you ladies think about immunizating your children? I keep up to date with it. But alot of women i know don't do it and they tell me not to do it. I guess i am just wondering what other women think and if they keep up to date with it... i would love some feedback... use this as an open forum if its needed
I got my son all his shots.  i will continue to do it with all my children as well.  I think its a good idea.
I believe they are definitely worth the risks. I make sure both my kids (3&1) are up to date. I couldn't imagine them getting something that could've been prevented.
i got mine when i was a kid so i guess it's safe to still do it now i would do it do mine (when i get them)...i agree for it still be done
You have to have all your immunizations before going to college so might as well get them while there young.  I didnt get a second part to an immunization when I was little and I had to get it before starting college.
I am all for immunization shots for the baby.
I keep my kids updated.   However I do know someone who's son has autism and the Dr's recommended he not receive most vaccines.  I can't remember why.
My ds gets shots, he has done great but I know all babies are diff.
I didn't realize til I became pg how thankful I was that my parents had gotten me all my shots, bc when you are pg they ask if you've had em or not & w/ alot of the shots you can have less concern w/ your pg since you are caught up. SO I think all moms w/ baby girls need to know this :)

I realize I have not had a bad exper. w/ imm shots so I'm sure if I would have I would think diff.
I couldn't imagine not getting them for my children. I realize there can be some risks involved. But I am all for them
I've been on the fence on this issue, and plan to do a lot of research before I make up my mind.  Here is a website with some info:

http://curezone.com/diseases/vaccination/default.asp

Also check out this link for info on toxins we come into contact with all the time (scary stuff): http://curezone.com/diseases/toxins/

hey harley girlie...:)::))) haven't seen you all day where are you hiding??....how's it going hon??? everythings cool???
I am around, not been posting as much. I needed a break from it. :) I am good and Quinn is excellent. We go on Sunday for my 24 week OB appt. My doctors office has Sunday appts so Daddy does not have to miss work. Thought that was pretty cool.
Wow, That is great they have weekend appointments! Must be one out of 10 that actually do that!
Wow, that is cool that they have weekend appointments so the DH's can go! Must be 1 out of 10 in the world that actually do that!
I know that in the state of MI--you have a choice on immunizing your child--but before they go to school.  I would wonder why people would want to put theire child through so much pain as having to get them done all at once.  spread out like they are is painful enough for the parents--why put more stress on yourself.  But they are now starting to recommend even more vaccines for HPT A and a second chicken px shot- and those are nto covered on insurance and they are now $80.00 a piece.  I don't know if I will do those till they become manadated.
where i live in ohio you have the option of immunizing your child.  if you choose not to you have to sign about a million forms stating your reasons (religious or not), and they still allow the child to attend school.
i myself agree with immunization, but i have chosen to do mine differently.  both of my children had all but the chicken pox and hepatitis vaccine when they were infants/toddlers.  my dd received her chicken pox and hepatitis before attending kindergarten.  my ds has not received them yet as he is only 20 months.  let me add that he is not in day care and stays home with my dh who is a stay at home dad.  my ds will receive his before attending kindergarten.  these are the two immunizations that scare me the most with side effects, and they are also two of the newer ones.  i would rather have them a little older when they receive them just in case.  
i am one, though, who believes each and every parent knows what is right for their child and may make their choices different than others.
hope everyone has a wonderful day.
hope everyone has a wonderful day.
I wrote a research paper on immunizations and risk for autism once, and annually go to the Center for Disease Control conferences with the docs from work... The biggest reason why they were initially linked together was because the symptoms of autism show up around the same time as the usual schedule for DTP and MMR. Well, MMR was ruled out definately, but there was a SMALL chance of DTP POSSIBLY being a contributing factor because they used to use a live virus petusis (live virus didn't prove to be an issue with the other strains). Even though research could not prove it in it's entirety, the CDC still had the vaccine changed to acellular (killed virus, not live), hence the name DTaP now, so there is absolutely no risk with it and autism. The CDC is a non-profit organization, they put out all of the literature and recommendations, and than each state decides for itself it's stipulations.
And as far as the mercury goes. It is in most vaccines as a perservative, but the amount is so minute, it can't hurt anybody. There are some kinds of fresh fish we eat that contain more mercury than what you can find in the standard vaccine.
I have a dumb question.
If you opt not to have your children immunized, can they go to public schools.

I know before they start school (and daycare for that matter) they have to show proof of immunizations.
So what happens if you don't do it?
You must have gotten the sme error as me- sorry for the double post everyone!
wow, the computer just went WACKY on me! Sorry for the triple post LOL!
Yeah, I did!
i think if you don't update your child with shots they cannot go to school at all. At least thats how it is where i am from (colorado). So if your child isn't up to date when they start school they are gonna get a lot of shots.
Thats what I was thinking. SO if you don't get immunized they have to home school then?
You do NOT have to immunize the children to send them to public schools. You DO have to sign a waiver in that case. The really big thing that caused the wave against immunization in the last decade or so was the inclusion of a preservative thimerosal, mercury, that was banned in most other countries (autism rates by country reflect this too). This has later been admitted to be a problem, and causing all sorts of developmental/neurological problems. There is widely available info on the web.  US has an incredibly aggressive vaccination program in which dr's offices are tracked as to compliance rates--this may be partially responsible for why they are so aggressive as to the need.  I had to fight off our ped to not get some of the ones that were particularly troublesome to us.

My son had really bad reactions to the DTP (it was live in the 90s) until the DTaP (acellular) became available. Many others did too.  The MMR vaccine (and all flu vaccines) are grown in eggs-- a problem too for us since he developed life-threatening egg allergies. We waive out on that. My daughter had high screeching crying after first Hib--dr. herself advised NEVER getting that shot again.

I would note too that the chicken pox vaccine has no studies that follow success through adolescence---they suspect now it provides only partial coverage and, if vaccinated, child may fall ill again (with serious adult side effects) after teens or so. Only tried and true way NOT to get chicken pox as an adult (when it is so dangerous) is to have it as a child.  If you can swing it before the age of 5, it's nice to actually have it, know you have full immunity.

I think we owe it to the children to at least research the background ourselves before we say yes/no (and not just read the 1st grade handout they give you in the dr's office). Remember it's a business venture too.
I am all for immunizations. Yes there is some controversy, especially surrounding autism. The theory is that some imunizations contain mercury and can cause autism is sensitive individuals. This has not been proven, but concerns some parents. I feel the the definite benefits are worth the possible risk.
Some state's schools will let you enroll non-immunized kids if you claim religious or philosophical reasons, or if you have a Dr.'s letter saying why your kid can't be immunized.
There has been NO definitive link between vaccinations and autism. It has studied and studied and studied and yet nothing certain has ever been determined. While PDD's do exist and are certainly real, they are the new "ADD/ADHD" of this generation. Every few years suddenly everyone's child has some new issue. 10-15 years ago it was ADD/ADHD, 5-10 years ago everyone's child was manic depressive, now everyone is panicked that their child has a PDD.

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/vacsafe/concerns/autism/autism-mmr.htm

Again, as with anything else how you raise your child is your business. However, I do believe that it can be quite risky for parents to rely on the rest of us to vaccinate our children while they let their's skate on through unvaccinated. We are slowly seeing recurrances of diseases we had nearly erradicated in the US.

And with regards to the chicken pox vaccine, it is appearing to be effective up to 8 years at which point a booster is recommended, just like with many other vaccinations. Given my horrific experience with chicken pox as a child, there is no way in hell I was going to risk my children suffering the same fate. On their first birthday they got that vaccination, along with all their other ones on time, every time.

Andi
i am pretty sure that in CO (where i live) it is 100% required for your child to be up to date before they can attend school... i don't think there are any exceptions...
I have a dumb question.

So what happens if you don't do it?
Colorado has both philosophical and religious exemption clauses. This means if parents are opposed b/c of their philosophical beliefs or religious beliefs then they do not have to immunize to attend public school.
oh i see, my neighbor has a lil boy whos 5 and he hasn't had any shots and the school she tried for told her she needs to get her son immunization shots and she still is against it so i kind of figured it was required
im all for it. one of the reasons i am pro is i live in a place with a lot of immigrants. there isnt a breakout of certain diseases but there are cases of tb and such. you have the right to not immun. your child but like everyone said you have to sign waivers and such. i know some that will not under any circumstances do immun. the risks are there for any shots but in comparison to the amount of children that recieve it it is small. what if you decide to travel abroad? i believe you would want to have the protection to visit some places.
my neighbor told me she doesn't do it b/c she has an older boy who is 5 and she got him his first set of shots and after that he started acting funny (her words) i mean of course afterwards your child is gonna be sick and crying and just not feeling good but to me thats worth it. I don't want my son getting sick or dying or getting something funky i coulda prevented...
Tell your neighbor to check out this site:  

http://www.909shot.com/state-site/state-exemptions.htm

It will explain to her how to get her kid in school without vaxing.

Personally, I think you can make a case for either side of the debate.  DH & I have been researching this quite a bit and we are going to delay our baby's vax. That is what we think will be best for us, and I completely respect whatever decision parents make about the vax issue.  Fortunately, we have a found a pediatrician that is completley respectful of our beleifs.  For me, that was the most stressful part of this!

Regarding the thimerosal debate (a preservative which is being or has been removed since the use of it in the 1990's), this from the FDA (that's the Food & Drug Admin.): (source: http://www.fda.gov/cber/vaccine/thimerosal.htm#saf)

"In its report of October 1, 2001, the IOM's Immunization Safety Review Committee concluded that the evidence was inadequate to either accept or reject a causal relationship between thimerosal exposure from childhood vaccines and the neurodevelopmental disorders of autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and speech or language delay. Additional studies were needed to establish or reject a causal relationship. The Committee did conclude that the hypothesis that exposure to thimerosal-containing vaccines could be associated with neurodevelopmental disorders was biologically plausible.

The Committee believed that the effort to remove thimerosal from vaccines was "a prudent measure in support of the public health goal to reduce mercury exposure of infants and children as much as possible." Furthermore, in this regard, the Committee urged that "full consideration be given to removing thimerosal from any biological product to which infants, children, and pregnant women are exposed."

They took it out because it was dangerous. My children were all vaccinated during the period it was used (the 90s mostly, some up to 2001). The drs always said "there's no real risk". They were wrong. It took YEARS for them to recognize this. I am very careful to investigate these issues on my own when it is a case that affects the children's health. I think  we need to be a pro-active health consumers.
I have gotten all my shots on a regular basis even through my pregnancies.  There are few shots that your are not "advised to get during your pregnancy, from a doctors view and they should usually let you know.  My aunt had turned down getting a  shot  during a pregnancy because of the fear of mercury  being exposed to the baby.,  But the chances and amount are so minimal compared to the pain and suffering that a  young baby goes through if they get pneumonia or something.