Maternal & Child Community
induction of miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

induction of miscarriage

I was told that my gestatioanl sac was measuring small as was the fetal pole in my pregnancy.  The Doctor instructed me to return in two weeks for a follow-up ultrasound to see if these two factors caught up to the appropriate gestational age.....They had not and there was no longer a heartbeat detected.  The fetal only grew one week in a two week time span and the sac was still quite small.  I have since been given two fairly large doses of misopropol to induce a miscarriage but have had no success thus far.  I have large vascularities in my uterus and the Doctor wants to avoid a D/C as bleeding is a major risk in my case.  Does anyone have any experience with misopropol?  How long does it take to work and how many doses are typically required?  This is an unplesant situation to begin with made worse by two failed attempts at medical abortion.  The fetal pole is measuring 7w with no heartbeat.  If all were well it should be at approx 10 weeks.  Any info on this situation would be greatly appreciated.
No advice, I just wanted to tell you that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
You are in my thoughts. I'm going thru a similar experience but I am seriosuly consiering the D&C. I have a serious thyroid condition and the odds of my doing this naturally is not good. I don't like drugs or procedures but at this moment I'm thinking more about my daughter who needs me healthy. I'm a Pagan so I will certainly add you to my thoughts when lighting a candle tonight.

Brightest Blessings.....~kelly
I m/c at 8 weeks, fetal death around 6 weeks, and had seen a heart beat just before death that appeared normal.

My dr. gave me misoprostol (cyotec), and it took 2 rounds, and I bled for a total of 7 weeks.  It was very difficult.  I would be fine one day, and awaken the next with labor like cramps and bleed profusely.  If your dr. gives you another round, make sure that you insert them as high as you can.  It sounds dumb, but I had my husband do it.  I did the pills before bed, and did not get up until the next morning.  

It was a nightmare.  Granted, I got out of the D&C, and didn't have to postpone conception, but I bled for as long as two cycles.  I have 2 children, and it was so much worse than giving birth, as it is so long and drawn out.  

I hated it.  I'm sorry that you are experiencing this.  It took me so long to recover physically, that I don't know if I have ever confronted the emotional aspect of the miscarriage.  I am now pregnant again, which is 4 months since the start of the miscarriage.  If you have any more questions, let me know, I'll be around.  Take care, Jen
I took the drugs on Jan 13th and 14th.  I had already passed a lot of tissue but my HCG was still 1493 so they gave it to me.  The first night I had a lot of cramps because I did not take enough pain killers.  The next night I took the pain meds before I even put the pills in and I had no pain.  I bleed a fair bit for a week and since I have had spotting on and off.  My last HCG was 104 about 2.5 weeks ago.  I get it checked again next week and I'm hoping it is less then 5 so I can TTC.  I'm sorry for your loss and I hope things go okay.  Luck to you!!!
Believe it or not I saw something on the news about this the other night.  It was brief but they said that they were considering additional mandatory prenatal testing for thyroid function.  Apparently, individuals with lacking thyroid fuction are more likely to experience premature birth and miscarriage.  There is a protocol that can be followed in order to stop these problems if caught soon enough.  I know this is weak info. but it was just a little blurb on the local news regarding this topic.
Hi there. i saw that you mentioned that you have a thyroid condition. I am currently taking levothyroxine, I have a goiter. I've seen little informtion on thyroid problems and pregnancy. Can you shed a little light please? What are the risks, and could this be a reason for tow already failed pregnancies?
How long after your second dose did it take for the actual miscarriage to begin?  It has been 24 hours since my last dose and still nothing.  They are going to give me dose #3 tomorrow and if nothing occurs by Friday they are going to administer a 4th dose.  The object is to avoid D&C at all costs.  Do you know how long it could take before something happens?  I just want it to be over at this point!
Thanks for the info, I will definately talk to my doctor on Thursday!
My sister in law was given misopropol to induce miscarriage before her D&C after no heartbeat was detected.   I miscarried naturally a few months ago and now have been given this devil drug (misopropol) to "open up my cervix" for some infertility testing today (an HSG procedure).  One dose of that stuff put me into pretend labor and I am not even pregnant!   I was shaking all over, having contractions every minute, and about to throw up.   It was seriously as painful as my miscarriage.  There has to be an easier way.   If I were given this medicine to induce miscarriage, I would want to be at a hospital with some serious pain meds.  I will never take this stuff again.