Maternal & Child Community
infant head size

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

infant head size

I just left my doctors office for my sons' 4 month wellness examine. They have scheduled an ultrasound for his head because they are concerned about it size. His 18.5 pounds 28 inches long and his head measures 46cm. The doctor did not really explain why they were doing this other than to check his ventricles. My family has a history of large heads. I am 6 feet 2 inches tall and wear a size 8 hat. My father has an even larger head than mine. All this being said should I be concerned or has he just inheritated this from my family. Also the doctor wrote on the script to the lab something about mega-something. I could not rear his hand writing sorry.
Thank you,
Scott
Your baby is about the same size as my little guy was, BIG BABY!  I would suggest you ask more questions to find out in more detail every little thing.  I am sure it will be nothing major.  My little guy was in the 100th percentile on length and weight, but in the 30th on head circum.  He has a small head according to the charts.  Every baby is different.  Try not to worry!
Could be heredity!
My husband has a big head and so does Cody
Sometimes though babies body size is smaller then they tend to "grow" into themselves

Let them run the tests (not going to hurt) and try not to worry (yeah right)
my son had a big head too...so big he got stuck coming out!!! but he grew into it. he looked funny for a while, but his doc never said anything about it. she said as long as he was developing normally, he his body would catch up tp his head. and it did. just try not to worry about it too much. ;)
My stepson and nephew both had to see neurologiosts because their head size was off the char4ts.  Both my husband, my brother in law and my father in law have unusually large heads.  My poor stepson was hardly able to hold it up.  It is definitely hereditary.  Both had to be checked for two disorders associated with "abnormal" head sizes, but both were just fine.  My stepson is now 8 and has grown into his head just fine....my nephew who is four is getting there.  Good luck buying shirts in the future though.
I have a set of twin grand-daughters that are 6 months old.  They were born at 37 weeks and weigh about 12.5 pounds each.  The doctor said that she wanted to re-examine their head circum. in about a month because it measured 39cm and she thought that to be on the small size.  I was wondering if any one has been told this by their pediatrician and if so what would that possibly mean.  I asked her but she kinda brushed it off as it is no concern just want to make sure that we make sure that they get up to the normal size.  If anyone has any comments I would greatly appreciate your responces.

Thanks in advance.
my baby was referal to children hospital to neurologyst because apareance small head is 5 month old and have 39 cm or 15 1/4 circumference the specialist send to an mri to make shure about the head size she was difficulties at birth but everyting else loock normal to her she is awake and seem to know very well her family members am so worry about the head I just make an appoinment to mri .
SMALL HEAD can anyone help me! my baby is 9 month old and head size 41.3cm. when he was born his head was 33 cm. he has had ultrasound, x-rays, blood tests and all came back normal.he is reaching his milestones but the doctors want to check up on him every 6 months. i am so scared and being obsessed with his development. has anyone had the similiar situation and everything been fine??? please email me ***@****. thankyou
My baby just had its 6 month check-up and his head size is in the 3 percentile and we've been recommended to go get a CT, xray, etc.  We have an appointment tomorrow and my wife and I are extremely worried and nervous.  Can anyone update me in advance about what to expect?  

Thank you -

My baby is 7 months old and he is almost 21 pounds and his head is 47 cm.  He looks proportioned to his body because he is just all around big.  We had an ultrasound done on his head to see if there was anything unusual or if there was any fluid present.  The ultrasound came out negative.  We were sent to many places to see what was going on but nothing was found.  Turns out he just has a big head!  It's definitely genetic, my husband was big like him when he was a baby.  Though it's really great that the doctors look into these things, sometimes they can get you really worried for no reason.  I was so scared for so long and everything is fine!  I see now, when looking at his chart, that his head is definitely slowing down in growth.