Maternal & Child Community
infant shivers? Seizure?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

infant shivers? Seizure?

My nearly 5 month old baby has had some strange quivers ever since birth. Every so ofton his head would tuck in and shake or jitter and he would make a sound like adults make when you have a chill up your back, his eyes go kinda kooky and this causes him to startle and do the Moro reflex, he dosent cry after but if he was playing before he will not go back to playing he just gets quiet and sucks his thumb. These tremors shakes or jitters only last a second if that and happen at different times of the day after he eats before he eats naked not naked laying down and not ect. He hasnt had them while sleeping. Found some info that suggests it is a common infant habit called jitters and gets misdiagnosed as a seizure ofton, just as common as the reflexes like moro. Has any other moms seen this?
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
172023_tn?1334675884
If you are concerned, try to video the "spells" and show them to your pediatrician.  Some babies do just make jerky movements like that, but there are also some concerning disorders that may present in the same way.  If the spells are not increasing, and otherwise your 5 month old is hitting developmental milestones appropriately, they are probably just funny jerks or twitches.

But check with your ped; that's the safest thing to do.  That way you won't have to worry.  Try to video them, if you don't have a camera, see if you can borrow one.  
Blank
My first son did this and it scared me the first time he did so.  I called the pediatrician and they had me keep a journal of it, when it happened how long, etc.  His just turned out to be jitters, but you can never be too sure with little ones, best to talk to your Dr. about it although it sounds like he's okay.  The above poster has a good idea in taping it if you can to show the Dr. too.  
Blank
177465_tn?1288242063
My niece (3) and nephew (1) have done this since birth. Their Mom does it too. We always just laughed at her. It looks like she's having a cold chill or something. Then both of her kids started doing it very soon after coming home from the hospital. It's nothing medically wrong...just something they do. Maybe it's the same with your little one!
Blank
164559_tn?1233711618
Great idea peek...

My son also did this, it turned out to be nothing but I was very scared.  He hated any sort of loud noise or quick movement as an infant.

Now at 3 he is all about loud noises and quiick movements.

I would take pics and talk with your doc.
Blank
Did you ever catch this on video?  Also, did you ever consult a pediatric neurologist about this behavior.  I am a mom of a 7 month old girl and she does this too.  At first the doctors said don't worry about it, but she is still doing it.  We did a eeg today, but will not know any results until next week.  We are suppose to be being referred to a ped. neurologist soon.  Please let me know if you have see a ped. neurologist about this condition.  I am worried sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blank
My 7 month old daughter is having head shivers every now and then.  It seems to happen when she is lying on the changing table and she is very excited with her legs and arms moving.  It has happened about 4x that I know of over the past few months and it only lasts a few seconds.  Of course I'm freaking out because some sites suggest epilepsy/seizures.  Just like other moms have......I will go see her doctor.  Dear god I hope it's nothing.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...