Maternal & Child Community
infant throwing up?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

infant throwing up?

My Juliana 6 wks is throwing up.Has been spitting up here & there,but recently noticed she's been throwing up with force.On my bed,clothes,her clothes,the ground & have to change her often.She's never fussy & only cries when hungry.I give her formula,she eats 4 oz every 3-4 hrs.She burps & passes gas regularly,but sometimes does not burp & passes gas instead.Am I over feeding her? Does she have to much gas? Should I take her to pedi.? Or change her formula? I will give her one more day,but call her dr. tomorrow.Thanks Adriana
I think you should take her to a dr as it could be a symptom of pyloric stenosis (thickening of the stomach muscle that leads to the bowel). The problem with leaving a baby that is throwing up on a regular basis is that she will become dehydrated. I certainly dont mean to scare you but the sooner you get it sorted out the better.
Good luck and i hope she is feeling better soon.
I agree with Jay, but it could also just be her formula, maybe she is lactose intollerant?
Sound's like lactose intollerance or milk allergy (my baby did the same thing at 4 still doing tests they think she has Reflux) The pyloric stenosis jay mensioned can be seen with a normal scan (pregnancy) my doghter went for one on Saterday.  Good luck
I was thinking the same thing as Jay, pyloric stenosis...
Is she gaining weight?  Does she appear to be in pain?  How many times a day is she throwing up?  Is is after every feed?

My gut instinct is that this is probably normal baby indigestion, however I would take her to the doc just to make sure and so you can put your mind at ease.

Babies seem to throw up a lot.  It can be very alarming.  Most of the time it is perfectly harmless.  If she is gaining weight, it is probably just gas.  And maybe she is eating too quickly.
Sounds like acid reflux as well as intoolerance of milk based formula.  Ryan is 12w old and he has acid reflux and the formula would come up but he would sallow it down before it come out and cry in pain.  I have him on acid reflux meds and he has did a 180.  He is on a special formula - NOT SOY - hypoallegic(sp).  Nasis it is so hard to go through this because it was about the same age Ryan went through it.  I would go to the Pedi. and ask him about reflux.  I really think it is Reflux which is know to cause throwing "up with a force."  
My baby is drinking nearly 3 oz and sometimes 4 oz every 3 hours ... At times she only drinks 2.  She's only 3 weeks old... I wonder if she is eating too much?  She also vomits sometimes and a couple of times it has been with force.  Last night she vomited all over me and herself... we both had to bathe.  I decided I woudl be calling her doc if it happens again.  We seem to be burping better today though and even after drinking nearly 3 ounces at 4 am and then 4 ounces for her morning feeding at 8:30 she hasnt vomited.  She's over on her play mat workign those little arms and legs.  I think you are right to be concerned and I would go ahead and call the doc if I were you... I know that if my baby vomits like that again, i will be.
Thanks girls,I will be making an appt. for today.She is much better today.I fed her this morning & noticed grumbling in her stomach,which I knew was gas.I burped her..which let out a burp so big she even got scared..lol.I have lowered her oz to 2-3 for now & will wait for her to teel me she's hungry.I was going by schedule,which I think was over feeding her?

anxiousmomtobe?
Yes she is gaining weight.She was 6p 12 oz & is now 9p.She's not in pain.Only when burped.She only throws up maybe twice a day & spits up every once in a while.I have feed her 3 times today & no vomiting....yet.
Im so glad she's better today, thats great news.
Sometimes babies do this, and there is nothing wrong.

-She isn't fussy
-She is passing gas, and burping
-She does have wet and dirty diapers (plenty)
-She is adequately gaining weight

Sounds to me that you just have a spitter.  It happens.  I don't think there is anything 'wrong' with your daughter.  Buy cloth diapers, they make excellent burp rags for babies like this.  Good luck***
I agree with Pixi, the only time you need to consider meds is when the baby isn't gaining weight or is in obvious and continous pain. All three of my boys were spitters and i mean copious amounts of of it, but they grew very well. I fell into the GERD trap with my first, giving him zantac and reglan, only to find he outgrew it on his own at 6 months as did my next 2 without meds.
My son was a spitter/vomiter.   There was nothing wrong with him.  He had no allergies or reflux.  
I wouldn't worry as long as she is gaining weight.  I think you are doing the right thing giving her an ounce less with feeding.  Her little tummy probably can't handle so much at a time.
I had spitters too. I noticed that they would spit up less if I held them upright after feeding for about thirty minutes. What kind of bottle are you using? Sometimes using a vent air of that Dr brand (someone help me with the name) could cut down on a little bit of the air that Juliana is getting (even thought she is a good burper). Just a thought.

I would ask about it when I'd take them in for check-ups and the dr said as long as the baby was gaining weight and not in pain, then it was okay. He didn't like giving babies the zantac unless it was absolutely necessary.
i suspect you were over-feeding her. at 6 weeks, you shouldn't be feeding her by schedule. my dd is 8 weeks old, and we only follow her cues. sometimes she'll eat only 1 oz in 3 hours (when very sleepy), and other times she's eaten over 10 oz in a span of 3 hours (keeps asking for more every 1/2 hr). she actually started to gain more rapidly when we started to follow her demands- seems she knows better than us when she needs to eat and how much. she started out at 4 1/2 pounds when we brought her home, and now, 8 weeks later, she's over 10 pounds. at first, i'd get nervous if she didn't eat much at a feeding. it's hard to give up that control. now i know she makes up for it at other times!
It sounds like she is going to be just fine.  If it was allergies or acid reflux she would be complaining a lot more.  I know Nadia is a greedy little girl and sometimes nurses so fast that she will have a big spit up.  Usually all over me, and usually right down betwee my boobs.

Her weight gain sounds great.
Have to kids and anxious may be right.  I forgot to metion that my son was very fussy and you could tell he was in pain.  My son was 9lbs at 9w he is now 12 and is 12w old.  He eats 4-6oz every three hours or so.  If it is reflux she would be very fussy.  
My son at 3weeks was eating 2-3oz every two to three hours
I agree with the others, call the nurse and ask her about it.  Could be a normal baby thing, could be the formula, could be reflux...The one red flag you have going up is the force of the vomit.  My son would spit up and it would run down the first week or so.  They said it was a baby thing.  When it got forecul and started shooting out with force, they looked into it more and he has really bad acid reflux.  He did the same forceful vomiting in the hospital his first night and they had to rinse out his stomach and switch from a milk based formula to soy.  Helped a little, but they ended up putting him on Nutramigen.  He goes in wevery few weeks and they check him out, they increase his medication then too.  I always know when he's outgrowing it as he begins the projectile vomiting again.  Talk to the Dr., but don't be alarmed, it happens.