Maternal & Child Community
infant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

infant

i have a month old infant boy. Who constantly cries, and cant sleep during the day or at night. Hes always ill temepered. Im worried that it might be serious, but i dont know im a new mother. i also suspect that he may have a slight case of colic.
Could you explain what could be wrong and what i should do.
  • im not sure (5 replies):
    Hi i have a 2 month old baby.. andshe is complety health...[more]
  • colic (3 replies):
    My son is a colic baby cries 3 hrs from 5pm till 8pm any...[more]
  • Chromosome Deletion? (4 replies):
    My 6mth old grandson has cried ALOT since he was born. ...[more]
  • colic (5 replies):
    Hi my baby is 2 weeks old and is having colic. Is there ...[more]
  • BABY CRY (3 replies):
    Hi ladies i just wanted to know what could be the reason...[more]
It may very well be colic or simply be is temperment as you have stated. My now 5yr old was very easy going and hardly every cried as an infant. However my now 2yr old was sick when he was first born (had jandice and was put on phototherapy)...cried all the time and was never happy unless he was in my arms..This didnt cease until he was almost 5months..A few things that did help with my 2 yr old was making sure he was nice a bundled up, burfing him often and dancing with him (that always put him to sleep). If you have tried everything, I suggest you take him to see his pediatrician....Take care.

Machelle'
It could be colic, but without knowing more its hard to say what it might be. Babies cry a lot in the beginning, it's their only way of telling you what they want. If it really concerns you take him to the ped. They are used to new moms coming in a lot. Mom usually knows when something isnt right. IOf your gut tells you somethings wrong, go find out.
Hello, oh you poor thing, I went through the same thing 12 years ago with my daughter. And you know what I did, may sound kind of wierd but I went and bought the mothers heart beat tape and put my daughter right in front of the speaker, turned it up a bit, not too loud but enough. I also wrapped her up real tight in a recieving blanket. She would fall fast asleep. Oh another thing I tried was. This is even wierder. I would put her in her car seat and put her in the bathroom and run the shower. That also worked for a while. Lets see the other one I tried was the washing machine, putting her on top while it was running, the sound and vibration worked sometimes.

But as the ladies said, a mother usually knows when something is just not right, and yes peds are always welcome to new moms.

And last but not least is calling grandma, she gave the best advise to me, it may have been an old wives tale sometimes but some of the things actually worked. Good luck hon and congratulations on your new lil one.

God Bless
Christine
Hi I'm sorry to hear you are having a rough time. I went through the same thing with my first, it was pure torchure. He cried all the time unless he was in my arms. He was colic also had exeama(can't spell). Check him all over for rashes, feel his belly-does it feel hard? Take him and have him checked to be on the safe side. Good luck.
are you breast feeding, if not maybe the formula has to much iron and is causing the baby to be terribly colic....try switching formula to a low iron...

my babies would cry alot too, and I would also tightly wrap my baby in a receiving blanket and sit on the edge of my bed and bounce and sing softly, this would really work and soothe the baby,

also you can try bathing the baby before feeding then tightly wrap him while feeding asure he burps and he will probably doze off hopefully you can catch some ZZZZZZZZZZ too, good luck : )

24t
my baby had colic it was awful but try gas drops and i would play soft music and sing and slow dance with her it would calm her down and when that didnt work i would run the vacum. i know that sounds strange but it worked well .get bottles that are for less air its hard but just think it only last three months if it is colic. now my baby is three and the happiest kid around i joke and say she cried it all out as a baby. good luck i hope it gets better