Maternal & Child Community
is a couple glasses of wine safe during breastfeeding??..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

hi,i have a small baby and was hoping to have a glass  of wine this evening but was worried it may harm my baby??is the odd glass ok??
I found this on the internet.  I hope it helps.  If it does discourage you from drinking I do hope you do NOT stop breastfeeding just so you can have a drink.  Good Luck.

Breastfeeding
OK, the mother has gone through 9 months of carrying the child, and numerous days of labor and post-labor recovery. Now can she have some wine?

The jury is still out on alcohol and breastfeeding.

According to La Leche, one of the premiere groups when it comes to breastfeeding information:

"Alcohol peaks 30-60 minutes after consumption, 60-90 minutes when taken with food (Lawton 1985). Alcohol passes freely out of a mother's milk and her system. It takes a 120 pound woman about two to three hours to eliminate from her body the alcohol in one serving of beer or wine (Shulte 1995). However, the more alcohol that is consumed, the longer it takes for it to be eliminated. It takes up to 13 hours for a 120 pound woman to eliminate the alcohol from one high-alcohol drink. The effects of alcohol on the breastfeeding baby are directly related to the amount the mother consumes."
What are the results of this alcohol consumption on the baby? In their Leader Notes, La Leche points out that these results are mixed. If the alcohol clears from the mother's system before breastfeeding, there is no result on the child. However, alchol in the mother's system affects the odor of the milk, causing the child to be more interested in nursing, but also causing the child to consume less milk.

The CTW site, by the creators of Sesame Street and other such shows, is tolerant of the practice. They say,

"It is true that alcohol passes into the mother's breast milk, but an occasional drink will have little effect on a nursing infant, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. However, ingesting larger amounts of alcohol can affect breast milk and make an infant sleepy or drowsy."
"If a breastfeeding mother does drink alcohol, she should limit her intake to one glass of wine, beer, or liquor a day, and wait at least two hours before nursing. Keep in mind that women should not drink alcohol during pregnancy, because no safe amount has been determined as of yet."

So the basic line is - don't drink at all during pregnancy. It's simply too dangerous. Drink if you must during labor, and drink sparingly if at all during breastfeeding, being sure to give yourself enough time after drinking to clear your system before your baby nurses. The care you take during this year or two of your own life can have beneficial effects on the entire life of your child!

I'm not sure but you could always do the pump and dump method.  You pump after you drink and then dump the milk so that way you don't have to worry about the alcohol in your breastmilk.
I had a 1/2 of a glass of wine when my daughter was 2 weeks old and was so dizzy, I had to stop.  So I don't know about you but you probably wnn't be able to drink enuf to even worry about it.  If your baby sleeps long during the night, then  drink the wine late and pump and dump in the morning.  Keep some milk frozen just in case there is nothing left for the baby.  OH and have fun!

steph
When I was breastfeeding my daughter, I did the pump and dump after drinking half a glass of wine one night. I had called my la leche league nearby and they told me to wait an hour after drinking, pump as much as I could and dump it down the drain and to drink LOTS of water after the glass of wine.
I breastfed my son for a year.... and yes, I occassionally had a glass of wine or a beer. My dr. told me it was ok. If it makes you feel even safer, try to plan your drinks right after nursing so that it'll be over an hour before you nurse again. Alcohol goes into your blood, not your milk from what I've heard.
"Pump and Dump" is an old wives tale. It doesn't actually work. I have a 6 week old baby and I drink a glass of wine every once in a while. I makes sure that I have pumped and saved a full amount of breastmilk for one feeding before I drink. I then feed my baby from the breast and then drink my glass of wine once he's done. That gives me at least 4 or 5 hours to make sure the alcohol has left my body (sometimes 6 or more hours depending on the time of day). I also drink water along with the wine to ensure that I don't dehydrate. My system seems to work well. It leaves me plenty of time to enjoy my glass of wine without the worry of exposing the alcohol to my sweet baby boy.