Maternal & Child Community
is beef jerky safe for teething???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

is beef jerky safe for teething???

my son is seven and a half months old and is teething, and i was told to try beef jerky what do y'all think? is it safe? have you tried it?
Tags: teething
Seriously? No, I don't think it is a good idea.
where did you hear about this?  no its not safe,they are not ready for that kind of food plus it is horrible for them .  try a teething ring, crushed ice in a think washcloth, baby orajel.   im guessing it was an older grandma that said to try this, they have such odd remedies that just arent what id call healthy lol
yes, seriously i didn't think it was a good idea myself just wanted opinions. it was my sister's boyfriends mother she thinks she knows everything, i would be to afraid to even try beef jerky she said he'd love it. i would think it be harsh on their digestive system eeekkk! i also heard people even use corn on the cob once you remove the corn i think i'll stick with a teething ring :D thanks ladies
Hmmm.  I was very surprised recently reading the nutrition content of beef jerky - it's not bad.  My sons like beef jerky and I kept saying oh yuck that's like pork skins,  but no it isn't.  I was very surprised reading the label that it's not a bad snack.

There is virtually no way a teething baby is going to bite off big chunks of that and actually get much to eat.  They will gum it until it's soft and that's about it.

Casa,  I bet he would love it.  And I bet he would injest less than a piece about 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch in a long chewing session.

Casa,  have you looked it up on the net?  Jerky seems to be kind of a mainstream teething soother,  even on the "organic moms" websites.  Research it further if you're still interested.  I never ever would have thought of it,  but it seems like others who have good intentions and good information do this.
its high in protien but what about the nitrates rock?   i dont see why its even an option im rather surprised you are ok with this rock
I am still going with no for my answer, have you seen the sodium content on that stuff? Let alone the spices they use I imagine would wreak havoc on their mouths and tummy.

And a 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch chunk is perfect size for choking. I am an adult and have choked on it just sucking on a piece (I like the flavor, but not the texture when chewing it, odd I know). Not worth the risk. Let the hippy mommas have it ;-)

I would continue to go with something a little less risky.

Maybe I need to look into this further.  My husband is kind of a health nut and he advocates jerky over a lot of other snacks.

Perty and Andi - maybe I'm wrong. When I said a 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch chunk,  I meant the child would be able to suck out the ingredients from that chunk,  not actually  bite off and ingest that chunk and risk choking.  It's all I can do  to bite off a piece that size!

Maybe I need to rethink.
i don't know much about jerky, but my ped did say no beef until 12 months. he didn't want us to do any kind of meat until 9 months.
thank you rockrose i looked it up and i've decided to just stick to the teething rings and such, i do appreciate your comment :)
I have used beef jerky with my son for teething at four and half months old and he has never had an issue. He was getting four teeth at a time and it soothed and helped to break the skin so his teeth didn't have to work so hard to do it. By the time he was a year old he had all his teeth in and has never had a bit of trouble, It seems like it would be a choking hazard but they can't even pull the meat off. They get what little flavor their is from the unseasoned beef jerky and the rest stays completely intacted.
my baby is 5 months an she likes it it aint bad s lonq as she dont bite a peice off. no offence but its a mexican thing to give your baby beef jerkey for teethinq.
Well, I had never thought of that.  I guess the biting a piece off would be the fear.  You'd have to watch closely.  We had an issue with a teething biscuit in which my son gummed a piece of and then he almost choked.  Thank goodness for those infant cpr classes I had taken!  We stuck with gumming other non food items after that as it really scared me.  

But if you watch and keep taking it out and tearing pieces off that looked like they could be bitten through---  I guess it works for you.  
Ok, I better understand your post in the Parenting Toddlers forum now.  I gotta say, I still wouldn't do it.  I would be way to worried about choking, and there are so many other options out there that seem safer to me.  I guess I'd have to stick by my opinion that it's not a great idea.
Sodium content and spices?  That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Beef jerky is not hot- unless you get the jalapeno brand. I suppose you look at the fat content too? Babies need fat. Beef jerky isn't fattetning though. May baby girl is 15 months and loves beef jerky. She also loves ravioli. mac n cheese, green beans, carrots, all fruits, milk, pickles, bread and peanut butter, cream of wheat, waffles and more. Quit being so freakin anal.