Maternal & Child Community
is benefiber safe?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

is benefiber safe?

I am 8w pregnant & taking Zofran for nausea.  I've recently (past few days) become very constipated. Is it safe to take benefiber?
I'm pretty sure it is.  When i was pg, i suffered from very bad constipation.  My dr told me I could take fiber supplements like metamucil, and I think benefiber is the same thing or very similar.  You can also take stool softeners like colace.  They are expensive but they work.  
Another good thing to take and will help is colace. Try that as well. I took it with my last pregnancy.
Colace is safe and it works, but it may take a few days and doses. Benefiber should be fine, or any other plant derived fiber like Metamucil.

Ask your doctor about Anzemet. I took Zofran for awhile for HG and it worked for preventing vomiting but made me soooo sleepy and *severely* constipated. My doctor swtiched me to Anzemet and it worked great with no major side effects. It is expensive, but my insurance covered it and I think most do.

Best wishes - hope you feel better soon!!
benefiber is safe.
i recommend my prenatal- Primacare One. it contains a stool softener in it, colace i think, i went through my entire last pregnancy without one uncomfortable bowel movement.
I took Benefiber when pregnant.  Liked it much better than Colace, which gave me those desperate, sudden kind of poops.  Benefiber is gentle and gradual and just takes you from constipated to a normal kind of pattern with stools that are as usual or maybe just a tiny bit softer.  Of course, if nothing is working at all, you might need the kick that Colace has.  Sorry to be so explicit, but I really didn't like Colace.