Maternal & Child Community
is mri safe during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

is mri safe during pregnancy

i have a friend who is 5 mths preg. she found out 2 years ago she has a fibroid cystic tumor on her liver the size of a cue ball. her ob sent her to have a specialist  do a check up on the tumor and they suggested that in august she have a MRI done to check growth of tumor since her body is producing more horomones that causes the tumor to grow.

my question is, how safe is a MRI during pregnancy?? she will be 7mths when they do this.
My husband just had an MRI last week...they wouldn't let me in the room if there was a chance I could be pregnant.  They told me that there wasn't any information saying that it was harmful but there wasn't really any saying it wasn't either...

Sorry I can't help more...just wanted to share with you what I was told.
MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan uses magnetic and radio waves, meaning that there is no exposure to Xrays or any other damaging forms of radiation. Typically not done in the first trimester as precaution, however, no evidence to suggest it being harmful if done then. IMHO, I think in your friend's case the benefit would outweigh the risk no matter what.
I've had similar experiences to andileigh. My daughter had to have not only an MRI but a CT scan. The CT scan was done when I was in early weeks of my pregnancy and the MRI was done just two weeks ago when I was 26 weeks along. I wasn't allowed to be near my daughter for either one because I was told the radiation used during CT scans are proven dangerous and they don't have enough information to consider MRI's safe during pregnancy.  

Personally I don't think it's worth the risk but I'm not your friends doctor or your friend for that matter. I don't understand why if it wasn't causing her any trouble why they wouldn't wait the last two months before checking how much it grew. I don't think there's anything they would do about it even if they discovered it grew. From what I understand surgery and drug therepies are very dangerous and would probably be delayed until after the birth anyway. Maybe you don't have all the information and the situation is more dangerous than she's told you. Maybe that's why they want to go ahead anyway KWIM? I have heard of women with way larger fibroid tumors (grapefruit to small melon size discovered during pregnancy due to ultrasounds) do just fine through pregnancy and wait until after birth to treat them, or they need no treatment at all.

I hope the rest of your friends pregnancy and delivery turn out ok and that that helps a little. Take what you read here though with a grain of salt. Eveyone especially medical professionals opinions vary greatly. Just try to be there for your friend, what a tough thing to go through on top of pregnancy.

Hmmmmm.....
is bloody true! they dont know themselfs, they better wait another 2 month as is definetely they wont do any surgery yet! i go for six sense, and i would avoind anything takes risk 4baby health. reacently they suggesting me mri for my head for migraine and headache, they said appintment must be after 20 weeks, so if is not harming why not now? why i have to wait another maybe 11 weeks, when i got headache now, and what will be after i dnt know. i will cancel it. thx i made up my mind