Maternal & Child Community
leaking amniotic fluid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

leaking amniotic fluid

my cousin is 41/2 months pregnant and she is leaking amniotic fluid. can doctors stop this leakage?
Has this been diagnosed by a doctor?  (Sometimes urine leakage can seem an awfully lot like amniotic fluid leakage.)  She should be seen by a doctor if not, and soon.
I hope your friend went to see her doctor or at least called to see what they tell her. I hope everything goes well. She should definitely get checked!
Avatar n tn
research expectant care and don't listen to your Dr. when he or she tell's you that a D&E is your only option, there are plenty of option's.
Avatar n tn
oh and another thing I have found while researching this matter is that the bag can seal it's self.  There is also a procedure called amniopatch which is definately worth checking out.  Hope this info can help your cousin.
Amniopatch is thus far only used if the leakage of amniotic fluid was caused by needle insertion into the amniotic cavity from amniocentesis, CVS, or fetoscopy.  To my knowledge, it has not been used in PPROM from unknown causes.

It might be an experimental technique used in large, university settings.  I haven't been able to find much on its use since 2002, and then it seemed like a desperation method.

I've never personally seen it used, and I've worked in high risk OB for 30+ years.  Unfortunately, for the vast, vast majority, the options are expectant management, or pregnancy termination.  
i am 17 weeks pg i started losing amniotic fluid about a week and a half ago and the high risk dr they sent me to said that there was no medical way to stop the leakege is that true because i cant take the she is ok but now she isnt s*** any more it just hurts too much she is perfict but i am losing the fluid i just feel so so helpless