Maternal & Child Community
letting baby spend the night....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

letting baby spend the night....

the dh and i want to go out for valentines day (we haven't had a mommy/daddy night in a LONG LONG LONG time) and i was wondering how old is old enough to let the boys spend the night at grandmas?

i already get super paranoid and call a million times when i'm gone even when gregs with them. *sigh* i don't know if i can handle letting them spend the night anywhere but with me.
Sure why not?
I would let my kids spend the night as long as they are weaned.. Grandma knows how to take care of them.
they both drink formula (the weren't boo-bie boys for long). i know my mom would absolutely LOVE to have them spend the night (there isn't a day that  goes by that i don't hear...even when she say them the day before...why won't you let me see my grandsons!!!! bring them over!!!!) i just wasn't sure if 6 months was to early....maybe it's just me not wanting them to "grow up".
We went let ours stay at my mom's house LONG before that (out of necessity, though).... As long as your mom is physically capable of handling them and is prepared to handle them...go for it!  

Do yourself a favor, check in once when you get to where you are going.  Then tell mom to call you if there's a problem and just keep a phone near.  DON'T worry about them, they'll be fine.  Your mom will call if there's a problem.  Call the next morning just to make sure and then let it go again until you get home.  She will call if there's a problem.

It gets easier each time you go.  The first time I left my 2 dd's at my mom's for 10 days I nearly freaked...that was too long.  However, a night or two here and there is a nice break for mommy and daddy time (or to sleep as we do in our house).

Enjoy yourself.  
I tend to trust my parents and my inlaws, I know that they'd rather die than something _anything_ to happen to their grandbabies.  
The boys will be fine.  They might miss you but then they might get used to spending time with close family.
i let my mom take him when he was less than a month she would just come to get him, now its hard since he cries and hes 14 months old but he spend the night there last week and he was fine. as long as ur mom has them u shouldnt worry i think that is how all of us ladies think.
I say do it-  I would give anything to have family here that I could get just one date night with my DH!!!  I do have inlaws here, but I have to BEG to get even babysitting out of them!  6 months is old enough- I think...  you need a night to yourself, and as posters said before-  grandma knows how to take care of them!  my mom takes my brothers girls everyother sat night for over night!  I hate my brother!  :)
My dd has stayed with my mom since probably she was born. We lived with her for a while and even when i moved out I'd let allie stay there on saturday nights, when my mom wasnt working and she was only 4-5 months then.
i think i'm gonna do it! i'm gonna give them to my mom over night. i know she's love it and she is more then capable of taking care of them. thanks for the encouragment ladies!!!
hey i love it my daughter was even breastfed and i let her go to her grandma's for a night when she was six months old so i could celebrate my birthday and she was great! remember their grandma has already had children!! so everything will be fine!! and calling never hurts i did alot too lol
You survived her didn't ya? Looks like you turned out ok. I say, let them stay :o)

Stacy
Go ahead and have them sleep over :) It'll give grandma and the kids have nice quality time together and you'll have a good time too. It's okay to call and check on them, but don't let it take over your special time with your husband. Have fun!