Maternal & Child Community
lifting during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

lifting during pregnancy

I have a 2 year old and she is about 25 pounds. This is our first month TTC for a second child. She likes to be held every once in a while. Should I not hold her as much? How much can you lift being pregnant?
Unless told otherwise, it is safe to lift your daughter. I am a high risk pg and have a herniated disk in my low back, but I still lift and carry both of my children (my 2 year old is 30 lbs, my 4 year old is 47-48 lbs) and I am 25 weeks pg. I had PTL issues with my first and was on bedrest, but didn't have any issues with my youngest and not have had any with this one, so my boys have lucked out : )

Andi
You can lift and carry them. I have heavy kids and I carry them around when I am pregnant and its never been a problem.
I think as long as there are no complications with your pg then 25 lbs shouldn't be a problem.  I had an abruption so i wasn't allowed to lift more than 10lbs.  But that's a case by case scenario.
I'm nearly 21 weeks pregnant and I've been lifting my girl the whole time shes 16 months 22lbs I always worried about lifting her but it hasnt been a problem I'll prob try and avoid it so much im my last trimester as she is just starting to get a bit heavy for me.
Anyone know what the limit should be on lifting. I've wondered because I lift my 24 lb and 35 lb girls all the time. I feel pretty comfortable with that, but visiting my grandma...she said "You have no bussiness lifting them!" But I don't know what really could happen?
If you haven't been dx with any issues (like previa, abruption, incompetent cervix) I don't know that there really is a limit. If you have children, you really can't avoid it unless you have someone else around all the time to tend to them. I mean think about it, they are already facing the fact that there is going to be a new baby in the house, losing some attention anyway, now we can't pick them up and comfort them when they need it? I don't think you will find a current doc who will tell you not to pick up your kids unless there is a specific problem.

If you are ever worried about it, rather than pikcing them up directly, sit down and have them come to you if possible. I have to do that from time to time when I throw my back out.

Andi
Yeah, especaily my grandma, she's crazy:) I wish I had heald my oldest more when I was pg with my second. I thought I should avoid it but we were both misserable. So now I hold them both whenever and love it, and since I feel capable I'm really not worried, just wondered what the deal was.
No offense, but grandma's usually don't know what they're takling about on these sorts of things. In their day pregnancy was treated more like an illness. Consider how older people refer to it as a "condition", like arthritis or something. It is safe to lift whatever you're comfortable with unless you're at risk of problems such as bleeding, or preterm labor.
If you have a normal, healthy pregnancy, you can lift whatever weight you are used to carrying when you werent pregnant.
MY WIFE GOT AN ULTRASOUND AND THEY FOUND A TEAR IN THE BABIES ABDOMIN (abdomen) RIGHT BELOW THE BELLY BUTTON AND SAID IT IS DUE TO HEAVY LIFTING.HAS ANYBODY HEARD OR HAS HAD THIS KIND OF PROBLEM LET ME KNOW.
Just so you know, one of my best friends relatives lost a baby @ 32 weeks pregnant by constantly picking up her 40lb 3 year old son....continuous heavy lifting strains your abdominal muscles, and can cause the placenta to be torn from the uterine wall.  I just tell my three year old that we would'nt want to hurt his baby sister, and he has never complained about me not carrying him. It's just not worth risking the loss of a baby.....
Melissa TX, 23 weeks pregnant.
I work at a nursing home as a cna, my first child i had at 27 weeks, so i consider myself a high risk pergnancy. I'm six weeks pregnant. My job requires alot of heavy lifting, i lift alot of adults weighing anywhere from 100 to 400 pounds even though sometimes i have assistance it still worries me. They won't let me go part time and they will not put me in another position, i'm thinking about putting in a 2weeks notice and finding a job elsewhere part time, considering  im also a full time student. Just some advice on if im making a good decision or not?
I am TTC and go walking with my daughter who is  10 months about 21lb every friday afternoon for about four miles, will this cause and damage to the foetus if it is there whilst trying to conceve?
No it wont, your body is used to being active and walking is considered to be very healthy and safe during pregnancy. Just make sure you take it easy if you feel yourself tiring. You may need to bring the walk down to a shorter distance once you do conceive and are further along. I am almost 29 weeks and I used to walk a lot, now I find that after a mile or so I start cramping. Good luck TTC and lots of Baby dust to you!!!
I am 37weeks pregnant now and lifting a 9 months baby weight 22lbs. I already feel a slight contractions and numbness. Do I am still allowed to lift the baby though I am so close to deliver my baby?
Olny your doctor can tell you what a good lifting limit is. Everyone is different. Like I can't lift more than 10-15 pounds while pregnant and my sister can lift up to 25 or 30. I have complications with pregnancies though and have a history of delivering early. My sister's one and only pregnancy went pretty well and was past her due date. It all just depends. A simple phone call to your doctor would be helpful. You won't have to go in or anything to get an answer to that.