Maternal & Child Community
loose ligaments, joints pop out of place, shaking of hands and legs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I have a 13yr old  girl who is suffering from loose ligaments, joints that pop out of place( hips, shoulders,ect). Her legs and hands shake uncontrolable from time to time.  She has twitches in her facial areas and suffers from migraines and liteheadedness.  She has been removed from all activity due to the risk of injury. She is becoming quite scared because she will begin to shake during class and cannot stop.  This has been going on for over a year and we are not seeing any improvement if anything she is getting worse.  She has only be tested for reuhmatoid(?) arthritis and came back negative because of her intense joint pain.  Her headaches will put her down for a day or two. She is also beginning to develop a mild case of scoliosis.  Her father is quite tall and she has grown quite alot in the last year but now that her growth spurt has slown down her symtoms (symptoms) have gotten worse.  I am at a loss as to which direction and what kind of a doctor for her to see.  She also thinks that she is jumbling her words or mixing things up when she trys to say things, they come out wrong?  We are switching DRs  because we have already had to pay thousands of dollars out of pocket just for her to be seen  by a ortho. He has asked for her to be screened for other disorders? but her pediatrian has said no to it. thank you very much.
I would say you need to get her screened for a variety of problems.  She may have something very simple that could be corrected with medicine or something more severe.  I know my aunt went to see a specialist and they could not diagnosis her problems--she went to her home town doctor and he did a simple blood test that showed what disease she has.  Sometimes the home town doctor who is not a specialist will listen a little more and try to diagnosis the actual concern no the overall picture.  Also I would have you or your daughter start a journal of all the things happening to her and what she is eating she could have a adverse reaction to food or medicine.  At the very least it is all documented.  Good Luck and my prayers are with you.
OMG, that sounds so horrible. I am so sorry. I would definatley switch Doc's asap. Take her to a nuerologist, they can do a brian scan and make sure everything is functioning properly in that area. It sounds to me like her signals are getting crossed. Take her to the ER, if you have to, to get a referal if you gen prac won't do it. She will be in my prayers.
There are other autoimmune disorders besides Rheumatoid Arthritis that can cause joint pain. Lupus is the first that comes to mind because of some of the symptoms seeming to be neurological. This can sometimes be an early indicator of Lupus. MS is another autoimmune disease that can cause some of these problems. It is more common in women of childbearing age, is is not unheard of in young teens. Lupus can be diagnosed by medical history, and a panel of blood tests often referred to as the "Lupus Panel". Many of these tests can also lead a Dr. in the right direction for other autoimmune diseases. MS is usually diagnosed by an MRI. A Pediatric Rheumatologist is your best bet. Some autoimmune diseases also overlap, and can be hard to diagnose. Most of them are treatable, and life span these days is average if the disease is treated properly. Good luck, and let us know what you find out.
Go to a neurologist and someone who is a specialist in poor muscular symptoms.  Just like the last post it may be nothing but timing means everything!! Good luck!
Sorry, I forgot something. Hss your daughter been tested for Lyme disease? These are common syptoms (symptoms) and this disease if often misdiagnosed. Perhaps you should get her tested. Keep us posted.
Im Haley and im 15 years old and i have the same problems so when you figure out what is wrong with her please notify me by my e-mail.

haley_stapler***@****
I think it may seem worse than it is.. although i wouldn't quote me on that.
BUt it does sound similar to a problem i have. I'm 16 and i was diagnosed with a condition (name i cant remember) which is a problem with estrogen (cant remember what) but it affects your joints and they can ache and pop out regularly.. also the headaches. I have twitches often to so im assuming they are connected.
I have help with joint pain and the dislocation with regular physiotherapy and painkillers.
aparantly it should sort itself out by the time hormones have caled down at around 21..
hope that helps!
You may wish to contact a geneticist.  There is a category of diseases that include Marfan Syndrome and Ehler's-Danlos syndrome that are characterized by loose ligaments, sometimes with extreme pain.  My daughter's symptoms started when she was about 13 and have been progressive.  She's 33 now and still working--just barely.  Heart problems can be involved, so this needs to be checked out. Hope that gives you some place to look. We went through about 30 doctors before diagnosis.  I feel your pain.
Ima 42 yr old women I have had 9 positive ANA
s, fibromyalgia, raynauds, joints inflamed in my hands w/ redness (finger joints turning in different directions) toes turning inward as well. Pain in many of my joints. Sever back pain.. bone fusion in lower spine(born w/ it). Bone spur in my neck. My neck has no curve, its straight as a board, they say.. thumb locks up and pops out of place (hurts omg that hurts) now my jaw has pop out,  pain is unbearable.. all blood work is normal but ANA.. Had mono.. as a teenager twice.. my doc is lost... he knows I have some type of connective tissue disease. I'm tired of not knowing what is wrong w/ me.. please someone help this has been going on dice I was 18 and progressively getting worse.!!
I'm 18 now and I'm suffering from the same symptoms. I had been to almost all types of docs and has undergone a number of tests. The brain MRI has been normal and most other blood tests seem to be normal. The doctors have been suspecting the following disorders: some inherited connective tissue disorders ie. Ehlers Danlos or marfan syndrome, Benign joint hypermobility syndrome , Familial mediterranean fever, rheumatoid/ osteoarthritis, hypotonic muscles etc.. Along with the other symptoms i get fever out of nowhere. My body will have very high temperature at some areas and the other areas will be ice cold. I had a variety of vision problems as well where the doctors had diagnosed various conditions: Myopia, hypermetropia, astigmatism, Starghadts disease, Amblyopia, diplopia etc.. I do have sever joint pains and dislocations. I still have not been diagnosed the exact disorder.. the docs seem to be confused. And it is getting worse.. Hope it gets better for you and me...!
My 15 y/o is being screened for EDS, she also has POTS sympyoms! Sounds a lot like your daughters same symptoms!