Maternal & Child Community
losing voice/sounds gruffy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

losing voice/sounds gruffy

for three months i've been losing my voice, not totally but it sounds wierd, low, scratchy sounding, deep.  no pain, discomfort, cold or anything else.  the only thing that changed around that same time is i went on vacation to p.v. mexico, and  
at around that same time we moved into a new bldg. for work. nothing out of the ordinary though.  the last thing, i'm running a new electronic air cleaner all the time, a new style that says it doesn't produce much ozone.  help please?
Avatar n tn
What comes to mind is allergies??? It could be environmental (molds with the air filter) or it could be foods...what have you changed lately??  You need to see an otolaryngologist (or ENT Doctor)  they will check you vocal folds, etc....
Good Luck!!! In the mean time...vocal rest is best, drink lots of water, and no clearing your throat....sniff and swallow...(sorry it's the Speech Pathologist in me!!)
I am a music teacher, so I was very concerned last Fall when the same thing started happening to my voice.  I would open my mouth to sing and nothing would come out.  My little ones thought it was funny, but it was rough on me!  I thought I was developing vocal nodules (callus-type growth on the cords).  My doctor immediately started questioning me about acid reflux, indigestion and the like.  I guess there is a silent form of acid reflux that produces these symptoms without the person being aware of the condition.  I skeptically began taking a daily does of Prevacid, and the problem resolved within a month.  I no longer take Prevacid-I have found that if I limit my consumption of overly spiced foods (at the time I was addicted to Slim Jim's, of all things!), my voice is fine.
are you pregnant? if so, pregnancy hormones can cause you to produce a lot of mucus- much more than normal. and if yours drains straight down the back of your throat, you may not even recognize that you have it. it could explain your voice.
I too had silent reflux. I am a singer, and I did not know what to do. It was also affecting the sound of my speaking voice. I take Prevacid every night, and my voice came back.
Allergies can also cause your voice to sound weird, and so can hormone changes.