Maternal & Child Community
lots of discharge (35 weeks)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

lots of discharge (35 weeks)

i am 35 weeks along now and the day before yesterday i had a big amount of discharge when i wiped myself, (stringy/snotty like) is this normal to have this much discharge towards the end, it's been 4 years since i had my last child, i don't really remember this happening with my last 2 pregnancies then again it has been a while. my due date is november 20th, my origional due date was october 29th but i went for my u/s and they told me i wasn't due till nov.20th, sometimes the discharge is clear and other times it is like yellow, i know i don't have an infection cause iv'e already been tested for that.i am concerned that the baby may come sooner, i went to the dr almost 3 weeks ago now and i was supposed to be 32 weeks along, but the dr said by my size and the baby i looked as if i was 35 weeks along, then i went to the dr last friday and all's he said was that i was 34 weeks along, i am getting frustrated because it's a different story every time and i have been given so many dates to go by.
can anyone please give me some advice?
thanks  jen
It is really hard when they keep changing due dates like that.

Usually, the first dates they give you,  IF BASED ON A FIRST TRIMESTER ultrasound, are the most accurate.  Especially if they correlate well with your LMP.  

Sometimes they will only do an ultrasound at about 16 weeks, and if it disagrees with your Last Menstrual Period by more than 7 days, they go by THAT ultrasound.  If the discrepancy is less than 7 days, they go with the dates from your LMP.  

Ultrasounds given later in pregnancy (after 32 weeks) can vary by as much at 10-14 days.  So most docs don't alter your due date by a single ultrasound given late in pregnancy, unless you didn't have an early one and your dates are in question.

Measuring your tummy can be off just due to maternal weight, so don't put to much stock in that.

Ask your doctor next time, "What is my official due date now"?  If it was changed based on your last (late pregnancy) ultrasound, ask "WHY was my due date changed"?  Tell him you have heard that late ultrasounds may not be as accurate, and question him until you are sure you understand why.  Don't ever let a doctor rush you out of the office until you have your questions answered.

Truth be told, once you are 35 weeks, it really doesn't matter a whole lot what your due date is.  The baby will come when it is ready.  It becomes an issue again if you are overdue.
thank you for your advice!
my last menstral period started on the 25th of january and ended on the 31st if that helps any!i went to the dr in march because i was late he told me i was 9 and a half weeks along, then at my 20th week i went in for an ultrasound and the ultrasound technition told me i was only 16 weeks along.
so it started off the due date was october 29th then november 23rd now it's november 20th but obviously it will come when it is ready!
any more comments are welcome
     thanks   jen
    I'm not an expert lol if I were I wouldn't always ask for advice but to me it sounds like maybe lose of your mucus plug but it could be just discharge I had a bunch of discharge but also I just resently lost my mucus plug and it was just what you have discribed but I guess just ask your doctor Christie gives good advice so she is great source to go to lol well good luck..
Hi there Preg...

Is the doctor able to determine how developed your lil' one is?

They say delivery before 37 weeks is considered premature, but with your situation it's kinda hard to tell when that is, huh?

I would call the doctor (or hospital if you get nowhere w/ the doc) and explain what's going on and that you don't really know how far along you are.

Let us know how it goes. :)

-Heather
hello,
i took my son to the dr today and asked him if he figured it would be sooner(end of oct)he said he is going by the u/s and the size so in other words he is leaning on november 20th, i don't have my appointment for prenatal until tomorrow so we will see what he says with the size of the baby and all. i also asked him about the discharge and he said that it was mucous! i have had about 5 or 6 braxton kicks contractions today also, my back has been very sore the last month, the soreness does not go away it is day and night, but i noticed the last two days at times it hurts alot more than usual almost like a burning sensation.
i will let you know how the dr goes tomorrow.
jen
hello
went to dr he says the more pregnancies you have it is more likely that you will lose your mucous plug early, again he says the discharge sounds alot like mucous, also he measured me and i measure at 35 so he is still pushing towards nov 20 so that's fine it will come when it comes.
jen