Maternal & Child Community
low blood count

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

low blood count

I'm pregnant and I was told today by one of my doctors that my blood count was low. She also stated that I might need a blood transfusion.  I've never had blood transfusion in my life. This is a high risk pregnacy and my 4th pregnacy as well. None of the others were successful.  I have Systemic Lupus-Anticoagulation. My question is what causes low blood counts and why have I lost blood?  My doctor said my blood count was 34 before I became pregnant and now it's 28.2 - Also, what risks would I be taking if I had this transfusion? I'm a little scared. If you could please give some insight on this I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

princess1
my mother used to loose blood...she had ulcers so she was digesting her blood, and unable to reproduce it fast enough to help her.
i wouldn't think there would be any risks in having a blood transfusion. depending on how many units they give you, will depend on how long it takes to do the transfusion.
they hook you up with a couple different IV's and then start the process. it takes about 1-2 hours per unit of blood. now a days the screening process is so tight for donated blood that the blood itself is not a worry.
i would worry more if you didn't get the blood and deprived your self and the baby of oxygen and important nutrients.
i beleive 48 is a normal adult blood count(i think, my mother never had a normal count)
the first time my mom had to have a transfusion she went to the hospital to have it done and the lady at the desk didn't beleive my mom that it was her that was to be checked in, she had to show i.d.(because i often sign up for that type of thing volentarily)  anyway her count was only 14, little did we know that apparently she should have been on a girny.
don't worry and write all your questions down, it helps to remind you what to ask the doctor when you go in next.
~nanci