Maternal & Child Community
low estrogen levels in early pregnancy??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am 38, and have been trying ART because of slightly fluctuating hormones (progesterone, and FSH at times up to 11).

I just completed 2nd IVF, am on progesterone shots as standard protocol, but have NO estrogen.  My numbers are as follows:
day 28: hCG 30, E2<20, prog 37;
day 30: hCG 150, E2 90, prog 37;  
day 33: hCG 540, E2 20.7, prog 20;  
day 35: hCG 1500, E2<20, prog I don't remember;  

My RE just gave me low-does estrogen patch last night, to see if it will stimulate anything.

Is low/no E2 common at this point?  What causes it? Does it indicate a problem?  Would it cause defects at this stage?
I was not even aware of this until recently on this board.  After my m/c in Sept my dr checked HCG levels only as far as I know and when I got pg in Dec they checked HCG levels only and they were doubling.  It looks like yours are as well so I would say you have nothing to worry about right now but I am not sure.  Sorry.  I am sure you will get more feed back on this just because some of the other posts I have seen them talk about this.  Is your dr concerned if not you probably should not be right now either.  Good Luck.  Take Care
What are the symptoms of low estrogen and when/why would a doctor test?
Good questions stillhopeful-that's what I woudl like to know. Hcg I get and Prog I get but how does estrogen level play in?

Progesterone is important because:

It is secreted by the corpus luteum and by the placenta and is responsible for preparing the body for pregnancy and, if pregnancy occurs, maintaining it until birth.

Corpus luteum
--Progesterone secretion by the corpus luteum occurs after ovulation and continues the preparation of the endometrium for a possible pregnancy
--inhibits contraction of the uterus
--inhibits development of a new follicle
--If pregnancy does not occur, secretion wanes toward the end of the menstrual cycle, and menstruation begins.
Placenta
--If pregnancy does occur, the placenta begins to secrete progesterone which supplements that of the corpus luteum. In fact, by the fifth month of pregnancy, the placenta secretes sufficient progesterone by itself that the corpus luteum is no longer essential to maintain pregnancy.

Estrogen works in conjuction with progesterone.  I do believe if it is too high or too low, you would have difficulty conceiving and for sure sustaining a pregnancy if it's too low.  During early on in your pg, if your progesterone is low, they put you on supplements (patch, suppositories).  For some reason if your Corpus Luteum isn't functioning properly, a supplement will help until the placenta takes over.  

This doesn't always solve the problem and a m/c can happen.  My own personal view is that if your HCG is doubling like it is and just your progesterone is a little low, then the supplement should work. It's when the HCG doesn't double properly and you have low progesterone levels is when it is doubtful you will continue with the pregnancy.

Of course this is just information I've found from many sources and hours and hours of reading/researching.
I'm n ot sure the answers to any of this because it is all very confusing to me, but I wanted to recommend a book to you guys and I have recommended it before. It really goes into detail on what role each hormone plays as well as takes you through conception to birth.  It is called "A Child Is Born" I believe the author is Nielsson although by memory I could be wrong on the spelling.  It is an excellant truly amazing about pregnancy.
Just an FYI
Thanks for comments and ideas.  My RE does seem to be concerned about the low E2 right now, but is positive because hCG is rising well.

However, I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem.  Is is possible that, because I'm doing IVF, we're just overscrutinizing the hormones so early on?

More on Estrogen:
In a nutshell, It "builds tissue" and it "changes tissue" in some other way.

-It is responsible for the proliferation of the uterine endometrium. This increase in the depth and consistency of the uterine lining prepares it for implantation.
-Estrogen is a major factor in the increased size of the uterus and thickening of the uterine wall.
-Estrogen is responsible for an increased blood, lymphatics and nerve supply to the uterus, and throughout the body.  

-Estrogen also contributes to the increase in breast size
Another function of estrogen is change in the character of tissue.

-There is a change in composition of the blood.
-Estrogen, along with the hormone relaxin, relaxes pelvic joints and ligaments, and increases mobility of nipple tissue. In late pregnancy, fibers of the cervix are swollen and loosely connected to each other. This is the
I am 38 and doing my second IVF the first was success I had twins 6 years ago
things are different now and my estrogen levels are not increasing like they should
I have 5 eggs on my one and only ovary, my level is 20 after being on shots for 4 days my DR says I should be in the 150 range. I was never offered the patch??? do you know more about this?? I am at a stop point to go on due to my low estregen. I am trying to find out all I can on this to help me in the future. Your help would be greatly appriciated
My estrogen level was not climbing the way it ought to have during my first IVF cycle. It was low. On Day 6 it was only 206 when it should have been alot higher. So, we had to cancel the cycle. I took BCPs (birth control pills) for 20 prior to my cycling treatment. I suspect he felt that the BCPs surpressed me to much. Our next cycle we'll be doing more natural, only using the medication to help increase follicle numbers, but no BCP this time coming up.

Due to the estrogen levels not climbing, estrogen is needed regarding the health/quality of the follicles, we canceled it because we felt that the quality of the egg would not be good with a slow estrogen increase like that.