Maternal & Child Community
low hcg levels at five weeks? could it be a blighted ovum?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

hi. I am 5wks 1 day pregnant as of today and my hcg level is measuring at 5,000.  I was wondering if this was normal.  I had my first transvaginial ultrasound yesterday and i measured 5 weeks but we could see no baby.  We spotted what may have looked like the baby but my doctor was unsure so she said it would be best to reschedule about two weeks from now.  To make sure everything was still progressing as planned i had to get more blood drawn.  My results are back and she says my hcg level is 5,000 and should be 20,000 or higher.  I have heard of women having low hcg level and still deliver healthy babies.  But is my hcg level really too low?  She said it could be a blighted ovum.  What are normal numbers for five weeks?  I dont want to give up, but is this really a case where doctor knows best?  I found out i was pregnant on Tuesday sept 19.  My hcg level that day was 10. I experienced some cramping and my doctor ordered a series of blood test. That thursday sept 21, it was 36, saturday sept 23, 110.monday sept 25, it was 288, friday sept 29 it was 970.  Now october 12 it is 5000. numerous times i have had blood drawn to ensure everything was going right.  Based on the numbers does everything seem normal.  someone please help me im stressed out wondering if my baby is okay.  I still have pregnacy symptoms, really sore breast, nauseated, a bit moody, and tired.  So should i really be worried?
As many women have stated in previous posts--five weeks is really too early to see a baby and a heartbeat.  I would have your doctor schedule you out even a bit farther like two and half weeks--give that baby more time to develop.  Good luck and sticky baby dust to you
hi i would just like to say that my wife and i have been doing ivf for a year and wer finnaly preggo but we to have been going insane with hcg levels,her levels are at 1200 and she is 6 weeks and shes falls into the category or normal,if you look on websites the #'d vary insanley from 23 dpo it goes from 100 to 20,00 its crazy,your #'to me look excellant im not a doctor,but what what they told my wife and what i read it looks fine,i wish you tons of luck and i hope everything goes smooth!!
i was preg 9/9 and that was at 5weeks and those levels were only 492 and in two weeks they were only 1300 and it turned out to be an eptopic so your levels sound really good the number it the first test can vary what the docs really look for is for them to go up the way they should
I do not understand some doctors because when i was 5wks my levels were just under 1100.  My doctor said that was just fine!
At 5 weeks it is impossible to diagnose a blighted ovum. You can't even start to see a heartbeat on the u/s until at very least 6 weeks, sometimes longer. My hcg level was about 4,000 at 6 weeks and a few days, so I think you're in teh right place as far as numbers. Its actually nothing to do with teh number itself, but in teh early weeks it is all in the amounts doubling about 48 hours. Yours look fine. I definitely wouldn't worry so much. Wait for a few weeks and get another u/s. I'm guessing you'll be fine.
I don't think doc is referring to the overall number but rather to your series and what should have happened between 9/29 and 10/12, if you were doubling every 2 days. We just gave up on hcg's by 3rd pregnancy because they are so hard to read/deal with--I didn't allow any to be done so I can't tell you what I was. I waited til  7 weeks 5dys to go in, get an u/s and see hb. After that they don't mess with numbers anymore. I'm glad I did, although I was braced for the worst too (after 2 m/c's).
I agree about the HCG #'s and driving yourself crazy...at around 6-7 weeks rely more on the U/S to set your mind at ease...I know the waiting is hard...going through that myself right now...Good luck!
I had an HCG of 6900 at 6 weeks, MD could not see fetus in the uterus on US.  He assumed an ectopic, did another HCG which increased 50% in less than 24 hours, then treated with methotrexate.  After two courses of methotrexate (two weeks later), HCG had climbed to 12000, went to have emergency surgery and found everything right where it was supposed to be -in the uterus. It was the size of 6.5 weeks. I wish I had demanded that they check again as I have since read that low HCGs do not necessarily mean there is a problem.
My HCG Levels are 8000 I am around 5 weeks pregnant, I had an ectopic last year and am worried because 11 days ago they were 500 so I just want any advice or to see if people think its normal, they can see a pregnancy sac but no yolk help please x
I am just a lil confused....I was almost due for my period and I took an early preg test it was faint positive,I had some light cramping but no bleeding,I went into the hospital that day they said my hcg levels were 21, one week later I seen my doc and they did a preg test and again it was very faint...I had decided to go to the hospital a few days after that to get my levels checked again and they were 1670,they told me to check my levels again in 5 days so I did and they were 11,345 and they also did a u/s and seen a sac but nothing inside(according to my LMP) I should be just about 6 weeks but the u/s tech told me I am measuring 5 weeks and that I need to repeat the ultrasound in 10-14 days.I go see my doc tomorrow and hope that I can get more blood work to see how my levels are rising aswell. Anyone have a similar story?
hello my name is betsy and i just found out on 7/3/10 that i was pregnant. i want to my doctors appt on monday 7/5/10 and my hcg level was 126. i retested on thursday 7/8/10 and my hcg level is 431. im scared because the doctors keep telling me that my numbers are low. is my numbers normal????? do u think im doubling up good. please help i dont know what to think and its driving me crazy......
According to my calculations I should be 7 weeks on 7/24. My lmp was June 5.  I had my HCG tested on 7/14 they were 5000. I had an ultrasound on 7/22 and they did not see a pregnancy. I have had 3 previous etopics and one missed abortion. I have 2 healthy children. I also have a tilted uterus. I am really trying to be hopeful. My doctor wanted me to have a shot of Methrotrexate as she asumes with my past it is another Etopic, but I would like my levels to be tested again and if they are higher I would like another ultrasound. Should I be worried that they did not see a pregnancy this far along?
what ended up happening?  I'm at the start of 5 weeks and i'm 143... I was 54 2-days ago, so my doc said we are on track,,, we are all different?  I hope this is true.
i went through a missed abortion in December of 2010.  recently i found out i was pregnant.. on 4/21/11  hcg was 97, 4/23 209, 4/25 487 and 4/29 2119... i am also on progesterone oral 400mg daily.. my progesterone went from 8.4, to 17 to 69.7 and waiting on the newest results.. anyone have similar experiences and come out ok
6900 isnt even low for 6 weeks! was your doctor crazy? I had a tubal pregnancy and my levels were 350-790 between week 4 and week 8 and they kept going up and down but never went over 790. Finally after seeing doctor number 5 had surgery to have it removed from my tube... Usually with an ectopic your numbers wont increase the way they're supposed to and they'll fluctuate which is never supposed to happen in normal pregnancy.. What ended up happening with your pregnancy?
im 5weeks 4days my hcg level is 3140 my doctor says its low she want it to double about 4,000 atleast is it normal should i be very concerned she sent me for bloodwork and ultrasound in 2days im praying everything is normal and good.
im 5 weeks and on 08/29 my levels were 392 and my doc said they were kinda low so today 9/1 i went in for more blood work and im waiting for the results cus they said they should tiple which will only put me at 1176 and im worried about loosing it after loosing one in march.
I went to the doctor two days ago because of cramps...I found out that I was pregnant. My levels were at 500...I went today and they were at 856....should I worry
I had an ectopic in October of 2010.  I am now pregnant again and am 6 weeks.  My hcg levels were 10,600.  I hope that is a good sign.  I go in for an ultra sound on Wednesday morning....
Hi everyone i'm On the same page i'm 5 weeks pregnant And because of my hcg levels Dr. Want it to gime me the methotrexate i did not allowed him i he thinks is an ectopic but i had two And one miscarriage And i know what it feels And he got upset at me if God whants me to have my baby nothing is going to have And if he doesnt its going to come out On its own good look everyone And we need to Pray For each other
Im currently 6 weeks and started bleeding monday afternoon, went to the hospital 11/4 and was informed that my HCG leve was only at 720 which is extremely low and that I may be miscarring. I started cramping tue 11/5 and seen a little clot, Went back to the hosp Wed 11/6 and had my cervix checked and was informed that they are closed and my HCG level is 1100 or so, The Dr said that this is a good sign and wants to see me back into his office tomorrow to check me agian. Has this happened to anyone and they ended up with a normal pregnancy?, Thanks and good luck to everyone.
is hcg 7007 normal for 5 weeks and 4 days
Hello people iam very despert and axious because I just found out I'm 5 weeks and had an ectopic on 2010 I had and u/s when I was 4 weeks and 6 days and they told me they wouldn't be able to see anything on my uterus , but one thing they saw was like a cyst on my left ovary by the way my hcg level was at 69 I went to the doctor today to check if up and have to go again on friday , please any advice I'm very concern