Maternal & Child Community
low hcg means miscarriage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

low hcg means miscarriage?

i had a blood test 21/7/2006 hcg level was 41. dr told me i was between 3 nad 4 weeks pregnant but she thinks the levels are too low and she asked me if i bled,i said no.she told me to wait and see if i bleed,if not i should come back to her after 4 weeks. stunned as i was,i got a second opinion. dr no:2 said she sees nothing wrong and i should just wait.
now i seem to worry with every little cramp. last week i had lower back ache and it felt like stretching pains,since yesterday,it feels more like af pains and back ache is mostly gone. could something be wrong or am i imagining?
and the other thing i wonder,can the cold make ur body aches/pregnancy aches more painful during pregnancy? my mil has been telling me to wear socks cos the cold can make my womb cold?!?
Your first doctor was amiss in not doing a second test in 48 hours.  It is not the absolute number that matters but the amount the number is rising.  Ask the new doctor (don't go back to the first one) if you can get two beta hCG tests run in 48 hours.  I would guess you are doing just fine.  (Your first number was NOT low for that early in pregnancy.)  Annie
I don't think that is all that low for 3-4 weeks preg.  According to charts you can get on the internet, 17 I think is low for 3-4 weeks but that doesn't necessarily mean it is a m/c.  I'm really glad you got a second opinion but I also think you should get two samples taken 48 hours apart for peace of mind.  Good Luck!
My first test was 40-something, ad I was cd 27. My regular Dr. thought that was low, but I got 2 more tests the next week, and it was rising quickly. I am now 14 weeks.
The af-style pains are normal.  The uterus is growing, just the way as when it fills with endometrial lining before an af.  

Where did your MIL get that tale about the socks?  There is not a direct connection between the foot and the uterus, just a connection with cold feet and feeling cold in general.  But it is not specifically more harmful to the uterus than any other body part.  We are not talking hypothermia here.  (Are you in the Southern Hemisphere?  Everyone in the US and Britain on this forum are griping about the extreme heat.)  I think it's just your MIL's way of trying to tell you what to do.
im frm south africa.i miscarried this morning
I am so very sorry to hear it.  I wish you the best in a tough time.
Hi there.  This is my first post and I don't really know most of the acronyms used on this site, so I guess I'll have to write most things out.  Please forgive me!

I am 24 weeks, with placenta previa.  I don't think your hcg level means you'll have a mc.  Just try to relax and not stress out.  I know, easier said than done, but stressing over something you cannot control, that may not be bad anyway, is worse for you and the baby.  

I had a LOT of pain in the beginning that felt similar to cramps.  Turns out it is my round ligaments stretching as my uterus grows, which is a GREAT thing!!  Please don't worry about that.  My baby is also very very low and his head rests on my ligaments, which causes more pain than usual.  It's all good, though, and maybe this is what you're experiencing.

This is my first baby and I guess I never expected pregnancy to be a uncomfortable as it has been.  I had a lot of pains in the beginning... cramps, back ache, breast pain, vomiting, (even blood in my stool from tearing my esophogus).  I am just now feeling comfortable again.  So maybe all of the things that worry you are truly good things.  Good luck to you and your baby.  Try to think positive, your baby can feel you.  Take care! d.
I had started my period July 28th and when they did my blood work HCG levels they said where low but positive so went again two days then two days then two days and this last test came back 300. They are saying its low and i should prepare for the worse. I am so worried. NEVER had a miscarriage before and i got three great healthy kids!