Maternal & Child Community
marijuana

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

marijuana

My boyfriend smokes marijuana and I am 23wks pregnant. Is there anyway that the marijuana can get to the baby during sex (ejaculation)?
As hard as I am really trying to bite my tongue let me just say....Passive Smoking!
Is this for real???  Anyone knows that you can inhail the marajuana by second hand smoke.  YES it can harm you baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi, I've read numerous books noting that thc passes to sperm. But I really doubt that it will do any harm to your baby, since it's in tiny amounts AND you have a mucous plug in your cervix right now.  The white discharge you normally have when you are not ovulating (when not prego) slows down the sperm, so imagine how strong a mucous plug is.  Even if a few of them do get in there, there is an amniotic sac and fluid that they cannot pass through.  The thing you should worry about is being around him when he's smoking...second hand smoke of any kind is never good for anyone, especially thriving babies.
She never said she was around him when he smokes, she only asked if it passed through the sperm.  I really hope she's not inhaling any second hand smoke, or smoking herself.
oh hell...here we go again. i have a feeling that these post will be going around for awhile.
Great choice for a baby daddy.  Congratulations!  
ha ha ha
have to agree Peek!
not to lecture but that money spent on pot could buy lots of diapers.   just a thought on your end.  
WOW.
ummm could you also be going under the name NEWMOMMY08???

LOL...i can't believe you girls, you are so funny...GOOD FOR YOU!

for the original post i say that I WILL SHUT UP!
Is EVERYBODY crazy in Colorado?
Wow i didnt even notice the colorado thing! good catch! Do you guys think that newmommy08 will be back posing as a different person with a whole new story? i had the craziest dream about this last night! than i drempt....SHE WAS A MAN!
I'm sure she (or he,lol) will. They usually don't give up that easily. I think the less attention we bring about this now, the better.
I was wondering that as well! the whole CO thing....
I'm sure the same trolls as lurking about as usual!
I just wanted to say that all of you are way too harsh.  Lots of people smoke marajuana socially, and there's a lot of evidence that it is less harmful for a person and for society than drinking.  Drinking is also more harmful than marajuana for a baby.  Obviously, a pregnant woman shouldn't smoke or drink, but lots of fathers drink when their wives are pregnant, and I don't think it's a big deal for the Dad to smoke occassionally while the Mom is pregnant.  All of you people should have a little perspective and not be so judgmental.
do your homework. this is a board full of girls struggling through losses and complications to get their babies here as safe and whole as possible. there is no arguement that will make any of us agree that pot is okay. no one said it was better than drinking. no one even mentioned drinking.

search marijuana on this site and you'l find several conversations to refer to and get some more actual  scientific facts regarding the effects. the question was answered a week ago. while conceiving it can affect the soon to be baby, but after that if she is only exposed to thc via her boyfriends semen, then it probably will not harm the baby.

Well its been at least a week since we've had a post like this.  I would go get the popcorn but I really need a nap.  Ayden has his days and nights confused and I practically fall asleep nursing him.  I will check in later!
i also agree with justadrienne, there is no concrete evidence that weed is that harmful. I personally think cigarettes are more harmful because your inhaling fermeldihyde etc which is used on balming dead people. There are totally different ingredients between the both.  Yes i now a father, in fact quite a few people have smoked weed and their babies turned out fine.  But what about the rest of the **** in the air you breath in everyday.
"balming dead people" hunh? since they have such dry skin? lol. sorry it was too easy.

yes there is scientific evidence and thousands and thousands of studies. actually Tulane University has an archive of over 12,500 studies to be exact about why you should not smoke pot. i guess webbed extremities are not a big deal to you, but for me that and the numerous other risks are a bit more important to me than a buzz.
***rolls eyes into the back of her head!
ARE YOU SERIOUSLY SUPPORTING smoking Marijuana while pregnant??  When it comes out, I hope she is going to continue to offer her baby a drag,....Gimme a break!  2nd post where you have showed support to this!  The funniest part is the original poster NEVER seems to return....
Did i say i supported it, NO, i am just telling that is no concrete evidence that weed is that harmful as you all are making it out to be.  And yes Fermeldihyde in cigarettes is what is used when embalming dead people .  You may want to look that up before you think of making a smartass remark
i just quoted you dear. and i told you where to find your concrete evidence. do you need to see the deformed suffering children and adults to wake up to the reality that a bunch of pseudoscientific jargon will not get you an okay to go do harmful things to the unborn? the facts are everywhere. google effects of marijuana on pregnancy, that'll get you started.

btw it is formaldehyde. just so you know if you choose to look that up
i think some people should be embalmed now........like on the 35+forum a girl asked about a pg friend getting the crack she smokes out of the babies system before birth.  its a shame some people werent aborted themselves.
My goodness, I think this speaks volumes about the dangers of smoking pot. Obviously it impares short term memory for the person who keeps asking this question must forget their username and the fact they asked this question last week, the week before, and the week before that. But they do seem to remember they are from somewhere in Colorado.

And if while my husband was drinking a beer it managed to leech its effects into me via the air, I would most certainly expect him to stop doing it around me while I was pg. Who on earth thinks it is okay to do this?

On a funny note, when I worked for this company a while back (8 years now, is that possible?!), we had a girl come in for a drug test and she was terrified, citing the very same concern about her boyfriend's pot laden sperm causing her to test positive on the urine test. Of course it was no surprise when her test came out positive anyway, as she wasn't just getting her exposure that way.

I really had hoped that was an isolated case of stupidity, apparently not.
I agree with justadrienne.  Stop being so judgmental.  She wants explanation, not criticism.  Anyways, I learned from class that the 5 most addictive substances are:
In order
1.Nicotine
2.Heroine
3.Alcohol
4.Sugar
5.Caffeine
Getting to the point. I'm not sure if marijuana would have a big effect on the baby, but I wouldn't take the risk.  Marijuana lowers sperm count.  It can lower your baby's IQ.  If your planning to have another baby with your bf.  I suggest you to tell him to stop smoking weed and wait for a year until he's pot-free before planning another one.