melted bottle
tub
i boiled my avent parts (pump parts and water) and discovered that a portion of the cap and a tiny part of the bottle has melted. i threw these 2 items away... then i threw away the water and reboiled using fresh water. is it ok to use the rest of the parts that are not ruined in the pot? i also did not realise that the bottle had melted until about 2days later so i used it to store breast milk. called avent and they said it's ok. would baby have consumed the plastics? thanks! i'm worried.
I don't know, I think I would toss the parts to be sure. If it melted some parts, there may be a chance it weakened the integrity of the remaining pieces.
my mom always told me never to boil bottles.just wash them in hot soapy water like the rest of your dishes,boiling baby bottles will give your baby thrush,something to do with immunity to germs,i cannot remember exactly(its been 15 yrs) i will ask her today and let you know.i too used to boil my bottles and my son kept getting thrush and mom said it was because of boiling bottles.
CYW
when sterilizing i was told by a home nurse not to boil...you boil the water alone for 3-5 minutes then wait take it off the hot element and put the parts in, cover 2 mins and take them out cover..let dry...thats how i've been doing it..besides here in canada both zellers and walmart are taking their avents off the shelves, avent bottles were quite pricy and they now have a 8 bottle pack for 17.99 versus the 49.99 or so...with the plastic issues in bottles avent is one of the worst kinds of bottles to use...you MAY use the bottles if you are NOT BOILING them or boiling them to heat the milk or microwaving...just a thought...

Every bottle made with a number 7 is **** and is leaking chemicals into the baby's milk...my dad's only been saying that forever....he is the foreman/manager at my hometown and works at a dump/recycle plant...he said number 7 is a great plastic to avoid...1,2, and 4 i believe are okay..We use the drop in bottles and the bags are a number 4 however the actual bottle is a number 7 BUT with what the pediatrician said..it is safe because the milk is not coming into contact with the actual bottle...

here is a great site:)

http://www.healthobservatory.org/library.cfm?refid=77083
thanks for the good advice..where on the bottle does it say the number?
Should be in the recycling triangle on the bottom.
CYW
yeah like andi said but unfortunately not all bottles have them:S i think it should be against the law lol