Maternal & Child Community
menstrual cycle after pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

menstrual cycle after pregnancy

I recently gave birth on October 3. my husband and i have had unprotected sex since then. my cycle has not returned yet, and i am not sure if i should be concerned. i find that i am experiencing some discomfort in my stomach, and i am not sure if i should take a home pregnancy test or not.  will my cycle come or should i trust my instincts? i am just worried that i will find out that i am pregnant. i am not sure if we are ready for another newborn already! although it is a little late to worry about that if i prove to be right. please give me some advice!
thanks in advance
worried about pregnancy
You can definitely get pg again now.  You should take a hpt if you are worried.  You might want to think about getting on some bc pills if you are not pg now and not ready to be pg again.  Ortho Tricyclen Lo pills are safe to take if you are breastfeeding.

Good luck!!
i am on the pill.  i am not sure if it is that i am not ready to get pg again or if it is that i am not sure how i would break this to my husband.  thank you for your advice. i appreciate it
Yes, I'm sure it's a bit overwhelming.  :-)

So you're on the pill but your period is not coming when you take the placebo pills every 4 weeks?  Is that the issue?
Are you nursing????  I did not get periods back until my DS was 10 months old or so.  It was so NICE LOL!!!!!!  If you are NOT nursing you may want to talk to your dr.  Good luck to you.
Yes i take the pills every 4 weeks.  i am not nursing and i am experiencing abdominal pains.  i am just not sure how long it takes for your cycle to return after delivery, this was my first child.  i will be exstatic if i am in fact pregnant, but i do not know if it is too soon to worry about pregnancy. i have read articles concerning the return of the menses after birth and it says that you can ovulate before you get your cycle so i guess i am just curious if i should wait to see if it returns or if i should get the pregnancy test.  this is all just SO overwhelming.
Well, this is a very interesting question.  :-)  I would say that if you're taking the pill then you cannot be pg (if you're taking it correctly) however it is very weird that you are not bleeding while taking the placebo pills.  I think this definitely warrants a call to the doc.  I think you might want to take a hpt before calling because that will probably be their first suggestion.  

I quit nursing DS when I returned to work after maternity leave.  I don't remember exactly, but I think my period started within just a couple weeks after quitting nursing.  I would think you would have definitely started your period by now since you are not nursing.

Being pg again right now is probably not a health concern for you, unless you had some kind of pg complication with the first one.  Did you have a c-section?  But, just take this one step at a time and only worry about that if are indeed pg.

Get a test and definitely keep us posted!!  Good luck!
if u are on the pill i wouldnt worry too much, as long as u are taking them correctly. it will problalbly take a while for menses to return, even on the pill due to you recently giving birth. the feeling in ur stomach is prob ur menses coming now. But if u are concerned, it will probably be best for u to see ur doc and get a blood test. Periods returning varies for each woman, they might get it while nursing, usually after six months, or they may have to completey stop to get it, like myself. However for womem who only nurse for a short period 2 weeks to 3 months, usually get their period back within a month or less. i have nursed for 2 and a half years, i only stopped nursing a month ago and i have yet for AF to come! I think u are not preggo, but go see ur doc incase. Good luck and keep us posted. Lots of love. XXXX
I take Ortho Tri Cyclen (not lo).  I could not start taking them again until my cycle returned.  I did not have a cycle until 14 weeks after I gave birth.  I had that one because the doctor prescribed a hormone to jump start my cycle.
hi i had my tubes removed in 2003 had invitro the same year became pregnant had a little girl was going to start invitro again this year in oct started out taking the lupron and stopped missed my cycle took a home pregnancy test it was negative what are the chances of me being pregnant without any fallopian tubes
They put me on Ortho Tri Cycline after my son too, but I couldn't start taking the pill until my cycle returned.  Also since I had a c-section, my doctor advised me not to have sex until 6 weeks, I started my cycle the very next day after our first time BD post baby, right at 6 weeks.
Gave birth to my second child Nov.12th.  Have yet to stop bleeding.  Don't remember bleeding this long with my first.  Anyone remember how long it lasts?  Stopped breast feeding 2 wks ago.
i had my son 9 months ago tomorrow and my periods are soooo irregular  i had him via c section is my period supposed to be irreg???
If you are on the pill don't worry too much especially if you are nursing too.

After my DD back in 2004 it took almost 9 mos for my period to return.

At my 4 week post partum check I got the Depo shot, then continued with the shot until I realized I was in a panic every month since I wouldn't get a period.

Finally they switched me to a mini-pill since I still wanted to nurse and even then it took another month or two for my period to return.

I have always been a very regular 28day cycle so I was extremely concerned. .....however everything was good.....

Until a year later when I stopped nursing...never got off the mini pill and got pregnant again....

Take a test, put your mind at ease.

I'd double up on protection though...especially if you are on a mini-pill.  As I did get pregnant and was taking it religously.
I HAD A BABY GIRL IN 2004 THROUGH A DOUBLE C SECTION. SHE WAS A MONTH AND A HALF PREMATURE DUE TO AN ACCIDENT THAT I HAD IN JANUARY THAT YEAR.
I FIND A LOT OF DISCOMFORT DURING MY PERIODS IN MY ABDOMIN (abdomen). IT IS AS IF A KNIFE IS PENETRATING MY BELLY. PLEASE HELP ME BECAUSE I HAVE ALREADY BEEN TO THE HOSPITAL AND THEY SAY THAT THERE IS NO INSTRUMENTS INSIDE.
I am not on any birth control and have never taken it. My son is nearing his first bithday. I had him by C-section. My periods are VERY irregular. In fact i find that I skip a month here and there and in October I had 2 periods... What do I do?
hi i have a qustion. i gave birth on augaust 13 2008 i am breast feeding but my period came on january 2 ended on the 7th and its feb and i dont see any changes all i feel is the pain and the sentimental feelings we go thru when our period is close by.  what can be wrong? im not ready for another pregnancy.
had my periods when my son was 10 months old and ever since then i get my periods every day.maybe they can stop for a day or two.but they are not heavy.i just use a pantyliner.whta wrong with me?