Maternal & Child Community
miscarrage at 12 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

miscarrage at 12 weeks

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has had this same situation. I am 12 weeks 3 days and went for an ultrasound yesterday.  They could not find a heartbeat and said that the fetus did not progress past 9 weeks.  I started to have brown spotting on Sunday but it is now Wednesday and it has stopped.  I don't seem to be showing any signs of passing this naturally.  I need to let the doctor know if I want to wait or schedule a D&E.  I'm having a hard time because I have no cramping and if the Ultra sound was correct I've already been carrying the baby around for 3 weeks.  Can anyone shed light on how long the natural process would take or if it's already been too long and I should schedule the D&E?
My husband and I are also thinking we should have another Ultra Sound just to make sure before we do anything.
Any comments would be great!

Thank you
They will do another ultrasound before a D&E, certainly if there is any chance of a mistake the first time and even if they are sure, if you insist.  This is only merciful to the mother.  Another way to confirm that this is what has happened is to have two beta hCG tests done 48 hours apart.  If your hCG levels are dropping, it is also an indication.

When I miscarried naturally, it took four weeks from knowing the babies had died to when they passed.  I would not wait that long again, since what happened later was that I had scar tissue from the long wait, and it impeded my subsequent ability to get pregnant.  In other words, a natural miscarriage should be better than a D&E, but if it doesn't happen in a certain amount of time, a D&E is better.  Either thing *can* cause scar tissue, the best is a natural miscarriage that doesn't take a long time to happen.  But given that yours hasn't gotten started, in your shoes I would not let the natural process go more than another week at most without going for a D&E.

I am sorry for your loss.
Thank you so much for the advice, it is very helpful at this difficult time!  I know I don't want to mess anything up that would make it more difficult to get pregnant the next time.
I have another ultra sound scheduled for tomorrow!
I hope the ultrasound helps you be sure of what is happening and gives you the certainty you need for further decision making.  All the best to you.