Maternal & Child Community
miscarriage and progesterone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

miscarriage and progesterone

hello again.  Been doing tons of reading since my miscarriage.  I have had two in two months (one really early and one at 4 1/2 weeks.  My progesterone levels were good, but was told by several people that I might want to try to use some next time even though the levels were okay at the time of testing.  Do the levels fluctuate during pregnancy?  Can they be normal at one time (when i was tested) and low at another?  What if your levels are fine and you use some to be on the safe side?  Is that safe?  I want to try anything to be sure that the next time stays, but dont want to take any unnecessary risks either.  My cycles have always been perfectly normal and I ovulate at around two weeks consistently (well, before the miscarriages).  

We have decided to not wait and go ahead and try again after two weeks, as it seems to be the only thing that keeps me going right now.  I am obviously fertile (pregnant twice with only trying for 4 months), but I will do anything to prevent this from happening again.  I know many people have several of them, but petrified that it will happen a third time.  I am now also worried about my diet (somewhat healthy, but not perfect by any means) and my stressful career.  I hear mixed messages.  Some say that diet/stress has an impact but wont cause a miscarriage and others say that it can cause a miscarriage.

I have no reason to believe that there is something wrong with me, but you cant help to think that way when this happens.  Should I just scratch it off to mother nature or get more proactive?  Just confused with information overload.
hi,
while everyone is different, here is my experience with progesterone. i had 2 miscarriages(one due to low progesterone) i got pregnant this time about 3 weeks after my lasy one. yes progesterone levels fluctuate and even though mine was great my first few weeks it dropped a little but was still in the safe range, due to that they put me on progesterone suppl. and i am currently 14 weeks pregnant. i have already had an u/s done abd i heard a heartbeat of 155. i know you outcome could be different but there are alot of women on here who have had numerous missc. and when they were put on prog. that time was a success. so i hope this helps a little bit. i am very sorry for your losses, trust me i know how it feels as well as many women on here. i wish you all the luck in the world and i will keep u in my prayers.
I'm not sure how the levels work, I actually didn't get checked on any of that.  I lost my baby at 8 weeks due to chromosone problem trisomy.  I am trying again but will wait after 2 cycles like my doctor said.  Its been a month since my miscarriage and I can tell you my body and my head are still not normal even though my hormones are back at 0.  I would listen to what your doctor says about when you should try again.  I am for peace of mind.  Good Luck!
I'm new here and it's nice to hear others in the same boat. I have had 3 mc very early on and was put on progesterone. The reason I was told was that my body produces it only for so long and then it drops off and brings on menses which terminates the pregnancy. I have now been on prometrium from day 9 - 28 to extend the luteal phase and ensure proper implantation (and will continue on it with positive pregnancy test).
If your progesterone was okay at 4 weeks along, then it's probably not the problem. Did they also check your hcg levels? Hcg is one thing that they cannot supplement with medication. I don't think it would hurt to take progesterone, but some doctors say that it can prolong pregancies that will terminate, anway. Have you asked your Dr. what tests will be done the next time you get pg, or if any need to be done before then? You might want to wait a little while before TTC again- sometimes we need to give ourselves time to heal physically and emotionally. I'm sure it will all work out for you. Good luck.
I had one m/c and my sister had two. With my sis they put her on baby aspirin and progesterone and she had a healthy girl). When I had my m/c I told my doc I wanted baby aspirin and progesterone and because of my age at the time (38) he agreed. He said that if you don't need the progesterone, it can't hurt you. Well I took it for the first 15 weeks (he said to stop at 13 but I finished the bottle). I started it two days after I ovulated so that I'd be on it if there was conception which there was. I now have a healthy 14 week boy. Best of luck to you.
Debra
I have had two miscarriages and after the second one I saw a specialist.  He gave my husband and I many options to see if I had what they call "bad luck" or if something was possibly wrong with me.  In both pregnancies my progesterone was super high. So we ruled out that issue.  It turns out I have two blood mutations.  He prescribed baby aspirin to me and vitamin B. These two meds are commonly prescribed and are very easy "fixes."  After taking both of those daily for a month I had more bloodwork done to see if they were working.  They were and the doctor said I will probably have a successful pregnancy next time.  There are many many drugs that can help prevent miscarriage.  I reccommend talking to a doctor to help find out if something could be causing you to miscarry(maybe something other than low progesterone). Good luck.
so sorry for your losses. I experienced one miscarriage and was completely devastated. I can't imagine going through 2.

as far as stress and diet go... I believe stress and diet can play a huge part in conceiving and the overall outcome of pregnancy. there are studies that both support and dismiss this, however. that said- changing your diet and exercising sure can't hurt anything and you will only feel better. :o)

Hello, I am also sorry for your losses.  I also have had 2 miscarriages in 3 months.  The first one they didn't check my progesterone levels.  The second time I asked them to and I was only at a 3.  During the first trimester you need to me at a range of 9-47 second trimester 17-147 and third 55-200.  (http://www.justmommies.com/articles/progesterone-pregnancy.shtml)
My doc. told me that obviously I can get pregnant I just can't keep them. She explained to me that progesterone is like velcro the egg and sperm stick to the wall of progesterone and mine is not sticky so it's dropping.  I started the prog. cream 12 days ago.  There are some side effect to the meds.  at least for me.  Dizziness, drowsiness, and moodiness.  Kind of like when you are preg.  I would def. talk to your doc. about it and get you started on it right away!!  I got off the pill in Nov. of 2004 so we have been trying to have a baby for almost a year.  It's such an emotional roller coaster and I am getting so impatient.
Everyone I know who is preg. planned their pregnancy and got preg. right away, it just doesn't seem fair.  I just found out on Sat. that my husbands sister is preg. and they have only been married for 6 weeks (they planned it).  I was really upset.  I am happy for her, but I want a baby so badly!!!  
  Anyway, talk to your doc. about it and start it right away.  It will make you sticky and it causes the uterus to thicken and prepare for pregnancy.  Good Luck Keep me posted and I will do the same.
Brook
What does the baby asprin do?  How can that help?  I also heard to take vit. B6, what can that do?  Thanks.
The baby aspirin acts as a blood thinner. Since some m/c's are caused by tiny blood clots in the placenta, aspirin can help prevent that from happening. Baby aspirin is recommended, because it's a lower dose. B6 is said to help women who have luteal phase deficiency. I don't know how it works, but it is supposed to help lenghten the luteal phase.
my first RE said baby aspirine
my new one said "it is not for everyone so be cautious"  he referred me to some articles that linked the baby aspirine to making the uterous too thin  for the embryo to stick.  I did not take it this time and am 26 weeks.  last time I did take it and had a miscarriage.
All three tries I was on prgesterone.  This time was true progesterone powder suppositoies (not prometrium)  and after bleeding projesterone injections too.
best of luck
Hi--my name is Kim.  I miscarried on July 27th - (7 wks, 3 days).  Went to Dr. because I was bleeding-they saw heartbeat and said that the baby measured 6 wks. I went back to the Dr. the next day(still bleeding) and the baby measured 6 wks, 1 day-it had grown-saw heartbeat that day. Dr. checked progesterone, it dropped to 5.8--HCG levels were good (1700).  Dr. put me on progesterone supplement (prometrium-pill form). It was too late, miscarried that night (july 27th).  
I had a period on Aug. 12th-found out 9/5, pregnant again-4 wks.  Dr. sent me to fertility spec. (2nd miscarriage) he checked me for everything (Rh neg., blood clotting disorder, abnormal antibodies) everything checked out fine.  Went to fertility dr on 9/6 he tested my HCG - 49 and my progesterone was 22.4, went back 2 days later 9/8 HCG - 149 (tripled) but my progesterone dropped to 18.6 (not low) but he put me on progesterone supplement, this time, vaginal cream-200mg 2 x day.
i truly believed that i miscarried because of low progesterone.  So ladies, if you are bleeding, spotting or have had one miscarriage or more, ask them to check your progesterone levels.....  i am 32 years old--no children, yet.
hi
i am new and i have never spoken to anyone nor writen anything
i miscarried twins in october of 2004
i was not devistated at all since i was shocked that i was pregnant i had a baby that was only 2 months old and i had another at the time that was 2 years old so the thought of having another two was just very scarey for me i cryed when i first found out but i was fine

i found out i was pregnant again around a week ago
i was five weeks pregnant and i woke up in the middle of the night (my husband was on call at the hospital) and my thighs were cramping and i went to the bathroom and i was bleeding like a regular piriod

i know i have two kids and i am so happy with them and they are still babies. now one and three years old but i am just afraid
i want a big family and i feel like theres something wrong with me

i feel alone
all my siblings have no problems
and my husband says its better not to tell anyone about it
but this time i feel so sad and depressed
I have been through 2 miscarriages within the past 2 years. Each one has been a complete shock. It has helped the healing process when I do talk about it to close friends and family.
I have found there is thin line between grieving and crossing over into depression. I have learnt from experience after losing my mom at a young age that it is not healthy to not grieve and talk about your loss. I go back to my dr. on wednesday to get some more blood work. I heard from a lady at my church that she had low progesterone levels and she has had 3 miscarriages in the last year and half.
Hello Everyone, I find all your stories very sad and very wonderful! This is my first time on. I have had one missed m/c. It was determined at our 12week scan, the embryo died at 7weeks 3 days, I had no bleeding or pain there were no signs of m/c and had many symptoms of pregnancy so needless to say, completely shocked. it was devastating!It took us 14 months to get pregnant again! we are about 6weeks PG now and I am soooo scared and excited. I had low progestrone 16.9 and was just about to start Clomid we thankfully fell PG before I started the drug. I am taking progestrone supositories now and I have heard of taking Aspirin but never baby aspirin, I find this very interesting. Should I try this on my own or go see my doctor? Thank you so much for all your comments, it really makes me feel like I am not alone in my worries. I will be 40 this week, I hope and pray we don't have another missed m/c. Has anyone travelled while in their first trimester? I have two weddings I must attend and I am a little worried about flying.
well i am 5 weeks. i woke up yesterday, went to the bathroom and wiped and notice i was bleeding. it wasn't spotting it was me bleeding. so i went to the emergency room and the doc examined me. he did an u/s and said he didn't see nothing but at i'm just leaving my fourth week going into my fifth. he tested my level of hormones and it was ninety somthing he said it should be higher like in the 150. i don't feel the er doc should be seeing pregnant women. well today i went to my ob and he ran the same test and told me he wasn't sure yet if i had miscarried or not. he told me to come back wedn. to get the level checked again. my doc also said that the er doc should not have told me i miscarried because it isn't unknown yet. so i'm scared and worried. did i mention if i have a miscarry this will be the third. i lost my first at 16 wks. and the second at 18 wks. can someone please talk to me. give me hope. i'm really praying.
I am 4 weeks, 3 days pregnant and was just told I have a low progesterin level (14.5) and my doctor is starting me on Prometrium.  My HCG level is 88. Doesn't this seem unusually low for 4 weeks?  I have had two previous miscarriages, one in 2000 and one in 2003.  My son was born in 2001, so this is my 4th pregnancy. Obviously I'm very nervous -- I'll have another blood draw tomorrow to recheck my levels. The waiting is excrutiating...
i am 5 weeks and i started bleeding suday i went to the emergency room to get checked out they drew blood and did a vaginal u/s. they said my levels were low which was 90. the doc then told me i was miscarring. Monday i went to the he did the same thing but he said it was too early to tell so he drew my blood again. today is wendesday i went back for my result he said the level was low which was 73. i am waiting for him to contact me tomorrow to let me know my result. i think i may ask him to do another exam. before he finalizes his desicion.
Hi I am new to this and after reading everyone comments on progesterone levels I have a few questions that maybe can be answered.  I have had 7 pregancies all but 1 ended in miscarrige I was told that i have too may male hormones then female hormones thus my hgc levels dont rise so i lose the baby at 5 to 6 weeks as they can imbeed themselves in my womb as it is to hard.  Is this the some as having low progesterone levels or is this a different thing completely.  I am currently reading a book on natural approaches to infertility and am going to start taking some natural herbs for low progesterone levels but I dont want to be doing that if this will not help my hgc levels to rise.  And the doctors can not tell me why I happened to have one successful pregancy he is just my mircale baby.  

Thank you for reading this and I hope that I have made sense.

aj
aj, ask your Dr. about progestrone supositories, they are kind of messy but it was explained to me as I have low progestrone levels aswell, that It is like the velcro that helps the fetus remain in the uterus and thus helps to maintain a pregnancy. I have had one missed miscarriage and am 8 weeks preg now, I pray every day that this will help my husband and I have our dream child!!!! tomorrow, we are having an early ultrasound and I am so scared! I wish I could be excited, but my heart is too guarded now. wish us luck, I will let u know.
Hi..I am 5 weeks 3 days and have been on an emotional rollercoaster.  when I was 4 weeks, 6 days, I notice scant brown spotting.  Next day I had a Vaginal U/S which showed a yolk sac, but measured 5 days off (which could be due to conception date).  They ran routine blood work (prog and HCG). Got results yesterday which showed lowed proges (6.2) and HCG of 975.  Reran 2 days later which showed my prog was down to 4 but my HCG was 1500 (not quite doubled).  Doc indicates that this preg is doomed and I will miscarry and toprepare myself. They do not want to prescribe Prog supp as that will delay the miscarriage. ANy thoughts. I am 35 and this is my first and I am devestated.  I still feel pregant (although light scant brown spotting persists), any advice?
Hi- This is the first I'm writing on this website. I just had a m/c yesturday 10/14/05. I was 6 weeks 3 days when I m/c. The doctor said my progestrone level was too low and I was bleeding alot and this is probably why I m/c. Does anyone know if we can take the medication to produce progestrone before getting pregnant or is it best to take it after you know your pregnant?

If I couldn't produce progestrone the first time will I have the same problem next time too?

This is my first m/c and I am totally confused.

Thanks for your help and support.

Gulli,
  Here's an interesting comment by Mark Perloe, MD (he is the medical director of Georgia Reproductive Specialists in Atlanta and director of reproductive endocrinology/infertility at Atlanta Medical Centeron) on answering a question about having low progesterone and wanting to know what to do about it:

"Unfortunately, many women are led down this wrong path, receive the wrong treatment and ultimately suffer another miscarriage. Their physicians incorrectly decide that low progesterone -- the "pregnancy hormone" of which you speak -- was the culprit and promise that things will go better the next time if only you take enough progesterone. Research shows us that falling or low progesterone levels are a sign of a bad pregnancy and NOT the cause of pregnancy failure.
So first, you did not miscarry because the progesterone level was low. Let's blow this myth away and try to figure out why you have miscarried."

According to the latest research, using progesterone supplimentation will only prolong a doomed pregnancy...  I just had a miscarriage on Tuesday myself-- my progesterone level was only 2.5, and I was at 6 weeks. :-(  I'm in the same boat as you are....
cherie
Hi cherie,

I am sorry for your lost- I am having a hard time understanding all this. What you said is something completely different from what the doctor said. I believe that what you are saying is true. It makes sense. Does this mean that next time I get pregnant I might not have problems with producing progestrone? I have tried to do some reasearch on online and I can't find much on what happen to me. My doctor is not helpful at all. I just want to learn more about this so the next time I get pregnant I would be alittle more educated. Thank you so much for your help. I truly appreciate it.

Gulli
Hiya again Gulli,
   From what my doctor said, even though I had a low 2.5 level, this was the result of a failing pregnancy-- not the cause.  He tells me that next time I can have a perfectly normal pregnancy, and no problems with my progesterone level.  Unless you have a rare problem with your luteal phase, etc, you shouldn't need to use the supplimentation either.  It is a HIGHLY debated issue, but I have also heard that there's now been some new studies showing that too much added progesterone can cause insulin problems, as well as habituation of the body to the progesterone and causing a surge of estrogen.
   I am just as confused and worried as you, as it was my first pregnancy and MC.  I am desperate to do anything to prevent the loss of my next pregnancy.  But, I also don't want to harm myself/baby by being too proactive.  (My doctor said that if everyone needed supplimental progesterone, and if it really did prevent miscarriages, everyone would be advised to take it like they do prenatal vitamins/folic acid.)
   Here's more from Dr.Mark Perloe:
"Progesterone levels can vary from laboratory to laboratory. The level can also vary from morning to afternoon and even drop 50 percent after a meal. Unfortunately, most physicians are not aware of this fact and do not advise their patients to check levels early in the morning and while fasting. Any level over about 2 or 3ng/ml likely indicates ovulation. A fasting a.m. blood progesterone level over 10ng/ml in our lab indicates normal follicular development and ovulation. There is no specific value necessary to "maintain" a pregnancy. In fact, I have had patients with enzyme defects who had levels of 2ng/ml who have carried without a problem.
This brings us to your next question. Rarely is progesterone supplementation of any value. A low progesterone level seen during pregnancy is a sign of a failing pregnancy, not its cause. Progesterone replacement for "luteal phase defect" does not correct the problems with the developing follicle. Ovulation treatment is necessary to fix this problem. There are NO studies that show that adding more progesterone can save a pregnancy. This is a myth that has been foisted on many women by well-meaning physicians who are not aware of the latest research in this area."

Hope this helps!
cherie

Progesterone treatment should be reserved for women who have undergone ovulation treatment with injectable medications, those who underwent IVF or egg donation, or those who are suspected of having an immune basis for recurrent pregnancy loss. For these cases, several forms of supplementation are available. Progesterone creams can vary in strength and absorption from brand to brand. The use of progesterone troches or suppositories is a very cost-effective alternative to injections or Crinone vaginal cream (which is very expensive). "
I had 2 miscarriages last year @ 8 weeks and didn't find out until 12 weeks the first time @ the ultrasound. Both times I had large painful ovarian cysts and had laproscopic surgery after my 2nd D&E. The corpus luteum grew to 5 cm... has anyone else had cysts w/ miscarriages? I am seeing a new OB and he suggests to try a progesterone supplement. I'm scared to death to try again. I have one healthy 12 year old that I had when I was 18yrs old.Now I'm 30 and happily married to an amazing man w/ no children of his own and this is heartbreaking.Genetic testing shows nothing and hcg levels incredible.
I was tested early( before my period was even due) for pregnancy and the result was positive.  This was after my first miscarrage (miscarriage) last month.  So, they wanted to test my HGC levels, which last Wednesday was 125, Friday was 118, and this past Monday was 95.  They say it is not a viable pregnancy, although I have no bleeding, no cramping, nothing unusual.  No Pain.  i hate this waiting.  Every time I go to the bathroom I check for blood. Will I miscarry?  They say most likely.  I have hope, although very little.  I do believe in miracles.  Is it possible that the numbers will turn and go the other way?  I will re-test on monday.
Im not liking the internet because I hear one thing that brings me hope, but then just the opposite crushes my dreams of being a mom once again.  I have had 3 miscarriages so far, all spaced out over a 6 year period, #1 being when I was 21. It seems that from the moment I had the positive preg test I began bleeding.  I was in the ER every other night, getting my HCG levels drawn, I guess the doctors were entertained by seeing them drop, until finally an ultrasound at 11 weeks showed that the baby's heart had finally quit beating. They let it go, no testing.  Then pregnancy #2-I found out at only 4 weeks along and at 5 weeks I bled for 1 day and then this one too was over. Another unexplained loss. The doctor this time actually said that it was my fault and that maybe I should have a planned one next time, in a stable marriage like it's supposed to be, and now I should take advantage and get off of cigarettes, alcohol, and illegal drugs.  I have not smoked for over 10 years, nor did I have an ETOH problem, AND I have never done anything more than experiment with pot when I was in junior high.  Needless to say I skipped over the grieving part and was just pissed.  Three months later-pregnant again. Still at 10 weeks, I had no bleeding, and little cramping that the dr said was normal. A day before what was supposed to be my 3 month dr visit, I felt very nervous.  I went to an agency that offers free preg tests, education, advise, and ultrasounds for all women but especially those that are considering abortion (they say that mother actually seeing baby on ultrasound has saved a few.)  I was given an ultrasound that showed the little one floating upside down from the cord, and having no heartbeat.I have an earlier ultrasound picture of what appears to be a perfectly formed miniature human.  The heartbeat was approx. 130.=normal.  They stil did no testing.  Now,  my new due date is JULY 5, 2006. My fiance and I are so excited because I have actually found a doctor that has special training in detecting/treating most female problems thru charting cycles.  I did this in the past on my own, and upon evaluation, the dr said I have the luteal something deficiency.  Problem is I didn't have insurance at the time so it couldn't be treated.  Now, I have insurance, and just found out I'm 5 weeks preg. and just got my 1st set of twice-weekly prog. inj.  They have to do 1 shot in each hip-EACH time, two times a week.  My HCG levels are actually normal for a change.  I have no bleeding a very minor cramping.  My preg symptoms are the most annoying I have ever had(a good sign I hear).  Then different sites of the internet say that it is too late once you are pregnant and it doesn't matter anyway.  Well, I think you girls will agree, but IT DOES MATTER.  Everything matters when you're expecting.  We that care, will do whatever we can, whether proven to help or not, as long as it cannot hurt, to help prevent losing another child. My children were fine, thriving, until suddenly it seems my body didn't want to take care of them anymore.  If I could trade myself in for a new model, I WOULD.  But I can't so I will do everything else, covered by insurance or not.  Thanks for reading all this-when it seems no one else cares......
hi
i had a second miscarriage in september
i posted a comment then as well

now i am 4 weeks and 2 days pregnant
my blood test results came out to

70 hcg
and 15.1 progesterone

my doc gave me this huge range as normal
but i just feel so scared that it is going to happen again
are these normal results
Hi I'm new here I was looking for some info and stumbled on to this site.
First i want to say my heart goes out to all of you who have lost a baby. I lost 6 between the age of 36 and 40. I then became a grandma to 3 and said well the Lord must want me to be done! Well then I started having pre-menopause signs and started hebs Bklac and Blue Cohash siberian ginseng root Primrose (super),,Flax oil donqui and a few others and at last wild yam cream...Well I got sick and said that I felt preg. So went to see mid wife and sure enough I was preg again..With tears in my eyes I went home only to once again start bleeding for the first time in a year..I called and she said use wild yam as much as possiable..I DID!!! at 5 months I had to see a regular ob The mid wife felt I was very high risk.So I did and he said you have a little girl who is very healthy I said well what about the blood do you want to test my progestrone leavels? He said No your good to go the blood was trapped between the placenta and the uterus..I was so stressed...

I just want to say i know that God has a big plan for my daughter Eliya Joy who was born 2 weeks late and very healthy because all odds said she shoud not be here.I know that with alot of prayer and PROGESTRONE CREAM that is why I was able to keep her...Thank 's God..

Well she will be one on the 21st and I'm trying for a boy in the morning and I pray that with progestrone cream I will get a son and he to will make it. At 46 I know that most would say I'm nuts however Eliyas older sister is 19. I would just like for her to grow up with someone close to her.

Be a believer and stay on bed rest and do not give up.
I had 6 normal pregnancys befor the start of my miscarraiges.And it does not matter wither you have never had children or like me it was 7,8,9,10,11,12 pregnancy it still is so devestating!!I will always love each one of them and look forward to seeing them in heaven.

Now i pray that Eliya can have a baby brother..I will be praying for all of you and I think it does work and it helps..
I just had my second miscarriage last week.  61/2 weeks along.  First one was 12 weeks.  I have one daughter.  My Dr. doesn't think there are any chromosomal or progesterone issues since I already had one successful pregnancy.  He said he would put me on progesterone next time just in case.

I have two questions:
1.  I want to use natural progesterone cream.  Does anyone have any experience using natural progesterone?  I'm concerned about the effects of synthetic hormones on me and my baby.
2.  My first pregnancy happened one month after I went off the pill.  (That was the successful one).  Could the hormones from the pill have "boosted" my progesterone enough to enable me to carry full term?  I haven't been on the pill since I have been married.  Just wondering if it has an effect.

Just wanted to say I am so sorry for all of us.  It is nice to have a place to go where everyone understands.  Thank you.
Hi, Like everyone else just stumbled on to this site. And like everyone, I go up and down in my quest to be pregnant. I'd pretty much given up (I'm 43 and tried for 7 years) and suddenly I read about natural progesterone and thought "hey maybe that's my salvation!) Reading these posts however give a varying idea of the usefulness of progesterone. I went yesterday to look at the prices of the creams and holy they were alot of money. There is a lot of people out there making a ton of money off of our misery that is for sure. So, is it a sign that maybe I should try something else....who knows. Good luck to all and I hope that things go well in your quests. I'm just not sure I'm up to the job anymore. Regards, Annie
Hi Dugald, I'm sorry I don't have specific advice for you as I unfortunately have never been pregnant and have no experience with prometrium. Hopefully somebody will post about it for you. I just want to say though that the medical profession in my personal opinion sometimes adds to the strain of waiting by doing all these damn tests! So, I am sending positive thought waves to you and hope that you have some nice visualization tapes or something to help keep your mind calm. It's a very difficult period for you but here's hoping it will go well and that there will be a baby at the end of it for you.
Annie
Hi Everyone,

I'm stumbled upon this site looking for information on Prometrium.  This is my 3rd pregnancy in 3 years (2 previous miscarriages at 8 weeks and 10 weeks).  I'm just found out that I'm pregnant again about 2-3 weeks (very early) with a HCG level of 37 (my OB/GYN said this is normal - I think it is low) anyway she is the expert.  We have started prometrium - 2 vaginal supp morning and night for the next 12 weeks and 1 baby asprin a day to increase blood flow to the reproductive organs) I have been seeing a chiropractor 3 times a week to ensure that my pelvis and hips are aligned - recommended by my OB/GYN.  I have an U/S scheduled in 3 weeks, another 1 4 weeks from that and if I make it a routine U/S at 20 weeks.  I am scared to death that I will miscarry again and everytime I go to the bathroom I fear that I will see blood.  During the first pregnancy, I didn't realize that I had miscarried until I had the u/s - technician said that there was no heartbeat.  The 2nd miscarriage was a blighted ovum - no embroyo in the yolk sac.??.
Any advice that anyone has to offer would be a blessing.  Good luck to everyone who is pregnant and to those who are still trying - don't give up.

I met with my OB/GYN again today and everything internally seems to be fine.  The cervix is closed and I don't have any cramping or bleeding (spotting).   Anyway she is starting me on a herb called red raspberry (you can buy it in capsules or powder form for tea). She said she just got back from a conference in Vegas about herb use during pregnancy.  It is also a fertility booster for men and women.   You can continue to use it during pregnancy as it is a uterine tonic and may help a women to have a easier labor because it strenghtens the uterus.  It also may prevent miscarriage and hemorrage during birth.  Anyway, thanks for the advice and I will keep you posted.  Also a good idea for the man in your life to take selenium as well - sperm booster.
Hi, I'm looking for natural progesterone and wondering where there might be a source for it?
thanks
That's wonderful news!! Sounds good. Hopefully you are taking it easy, drinking lots of raspberry tea and thinking baby thoughts!! I am doing lots of research on the area of herbs etc..and it is quite confusing. A tea seems OK. I have also heard about it in conjunction with fertility. There seems to be controversy about wild yams, and whether we can synthesise so-called natural progesterone from it. One study I read said not, and that it is misleading and that progesterone is not found in wild yam at all...although if you go into health food stores, wild yam is the ingredient in the "natural" progesterone cream, albeit in very small amounts. And it is also quite expensive. Although I was initially excited at it, I am now doubting it's properties. In any case, thanks for your tip of the tea and selenium. I have also found a study that says taking bee propsis improved pregnancy rates for 60% of those taking it against a group that didn't. Significant results. However, don't know the other factors involved. It made me want to try that as well!!
I am a bit scared in looking at all of this because I don't want to go back to a few years ago when I was so depressed about infertility. Talk to you soon. Annie
Hi Annie,

Well I got bad news yesterday.  I had an ultrasound and once again a blighted ovum (gestational sac present but no embroyo).  So they gave me an injection to help the cervix open naturally and hopefully I won't need another D&C.  Anyway I sure I will pull through this again.  Good luck in your ventures.

Take Care
Diane
Hi everyone,
   This is my first time to this site, I was looking for information on miscarrige and stumbled apon you all. I will tell you it brought tears to my eyes reading all your stories, I have had three miscarriges in two years all of them at around 8 weeks. All consecitive, and no childern. Getting pregnant was the easy part for me, every time we tryed, we were preg. in the first month. After my second miscarrige, with my third pregnancy, my obgyn put me on baby asprin and progesterone suposatories. After I miscarried that pregnancy I was refferd to a infertility specialist ( finally ) and I am  activily trying to prevent another one. I have been through many tests ( none of them fun, but all of them being worth it) and nothing came out positive, but my doctor seems to think that I am low on progesterone. When he told me that I asked "why ( if I am low on progesterone) wouldnt the suposatories I took with my last pregnancy have worked?" He said that taking suposatories after I was already pregnant wouldnt help because I was low on progesterone when I concived. He said that progesterone helps build the lining of your utrus ( so the egg can implant )  and helps make a helthy egg. So without enough progesterone during conception, your prgnancy was already doomed. So he put me on clomid (he says to help up my progesterone before conception) and he said once I am pregnant he will again put me on the suposatories and baby asprin cause it wont hurt anything. This is now my second month taking clomid. The first month I didnt ovulate ( which as I said before was never a problem in the past ) and now I am in my second month of taking clomid and I am on day 16 of my cycle and I havent ovulated yet. ( I have to test for ovulation days 12-20 in my cycle with a predictor kit )The doctor said if I dont ovulate again this month that oviously the clomid is making things worse not better, and we will try another drug. Anyway now I am really stressed because becoming pregnant wasnt a problem before ( that was the easy part) and now if it winds up taking forever to get prgnant and if this doesnt even help with the miscarriges it seems like I will never even have a baby. But what can you do? Nothing! All you can do is put all your trust in a stranger ( the doctor ) and wait. I feel so helpless because I can never find any information that fits my situation on the internet, and everything I do read contradicts it slef in the next column I read. I was wondering if any of you have herd of using clomid to prevent miscarrige, or if you have herd of clomid causing you to NOT ovulate. I am so confused and stressed. It is nice to be able to talk ( vent) to people who are going through the same thing. Thank you for any thoughts about my situation
i have polycystic ovaries and an underactive thyroid and have to have clomid to get pregnant but then miscarry(3 so far) the more i research the more dis heartened i get, does anyone have the same or know what will help?
I am bumping this old thread because I see that my RE, Dr. Mark Perloe, is quoted in it.

For my last two pregnancies, Dr. Perloe has prescribed progesterone on the form of Prometrium, on the premise that it can't hurt and could possibly help. It sounds as though he may have changed the position he took in 2005 that it was useless and could not save a pregnancy.

Of course, he has never stated to me that it definitely WILL save a low-progesterone pregnancy... only that it can't hurt and that *perhaps* it might help.

I have just passed week 6 of my fourth pregnancy and am hopeful that this is the one that will stick... I wouldn't wish three miscarriages on anyone and am sympathetic to those who have gone through recurrent pregnancy loss as well.

Best,
Julia
Hi Jeni - I had recurrent miscarriages (three) and when I went to the specialist was also diagnosed with PCOS. She put me on metformin, lots of folic acid, baby aspirin, a prenatal vitamin and prometrium.  Anyway, it was finally successful and we have a healthy, terrific 4-year old. Now we are TTC number two, but I miscarried back in Sept. at 6 weeks.  However I have to say that I was not on any medication at the time as we were not really trying. Then I got back on the above drugs and after two months I am now about 5 weeks pregnant so I am cautiously optimistic.    

The metformin I think is a godsend for PCOS - you did not mention in your post if you were taking that as well as the Clomid.  I never realized how critical insulin is for proper ovulation and egg development until all this started. My insulin levels were never that far out of whack like many of us with PCOS, but it did correct my cycle and ensure monthly ovulation. So don't get discouraged - it is harder with PCOS, but it can happen!
Please don't feel like something is wrong, miscariages happen to poeple of all ages, all walks of life...God can still bless you with a large family!  Love those babies you have, and just know that you did nothing to cause the loss of your two little ones!  Live a healthy lifestyle, and pray for God to for more babies...If you feels something is wrong, go ahead and have some tests done, but don't let this make you depressed! Your family needs you :) Sincerely Jennifer