yesterday was my 1st appt at 10 wks from my last period but the u/s showed only 6 wk development & no heartbeat. the midwife immediately gave me my options for following through with a miscarriage but i'm feeling uneasy about this. i only had blood work done once over a month ago & will be traveling out of the state soon. my hcg is pos, my pregnancy symptoms have only been fatigue & there is no bleeding or cramping. shouldn't my body be telling me something? i'm curious to know if there is anyone who experienced a month difference in conception calculations or went through a u/s that was just not accurate. i want to wait this out but how much longer should i?
It is safe enough to wait until you are sure, or at the least, to wait a week or two for another ultrasound to see if there has been any growth or change in the embryo.
Just watch for symptoms that would indicate a problem or an infection -- either bleeding excessively (filling more than a maxipad an hour) or getting dizzy, or a fever -- and as long as you don't have those, you are safe to wait until time has told you more.
It is not unusual to have a gap of time between the finding of no heartbeat and the passing of tissue in a miscarriage -- it can take a while for the placenta to give up. But if it is also possible there was something screwy in your estimate of the length of the pregnancy, you might still have the chance of better news at your next ultrasound.
In any case, I would not go for a D&C without another ultrasound so you are certain.
I am in the same situation as you!! accept my blood positive test was on Nov. 10 (3395)... on Dec 3rd I had an ob visit he and the nurse were unable to see nothing more than an empty sac..order blood test level was at 28000...according to liture with in hormone levels, however not doubling as expected by the doctor....I still feel pregnant...and I have an u/s on Friday I find myself praying every day...but I don't know...I do not want a d/c.....good luck I hope your baby makes it...
how far along are u? u will know more at this u/s but if bad news comes make sure u know & understand your options. i will probably opt for the natural course of action but i have been told that usually a d&c can be necessary anyway to be certain all is clear which makes it less likely for problems to arise next time. there is also medication that can take care of it too. BUT, like me, u need more info so don't give up yet & don't be afraid to load questions on your dr. and remember, what may not happen this time is usually for good reason but miracles happen too....good luck!
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.