Maternal & Child Community
miscarriage mishaps

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

miscarriage mishaps

yesterday was my 1st appt at 10 wks from my last period but the u/s showed only 6 wk development & no heartbeat. the midwife immediately gave me my options for following through with a miscarriage but i'm feeling uneasy about this. i only had blood work done once over a month ago & will be traveling out of the state soon. my hcg is pos, my pregnancy symptoms have only been fatigue & there is no bleeding or cramping. shouldn't my body be telling me something? i'm curious to know if there is anyone who experienced a month difference in conception calculations or went through a u/s that was just not accurate. i want to wait this out but how much longer should i?
It is safe enough  to wait until you are sure, or at the least, to wait a week or two for another ultrasound to see if there has been any growth or change in the embryo.  

Just watch for symptoms that would indicate a problem or an infection -- either bleeding excessively (filling more than a maxipad an hour) or getting dizzy, or a fever -- and as long as you don't have those, you are safe to wait until time has told you more.  

It is not unusual to have a gap of time between the finding of no heartbeat and the passing of tissue in a miscarriage -- it can take a while for the placenta to give up.  But if it is also possible there was something screwy in your estimate of the length of the pregnancy, you might still have the chance of better news at your next ultrasound.  

In any case, I would not go for a D&C without another ultrasound so you are certain.
I am in the same situation as you!! accept my blood positive test was on Nov. 10 (3395)... on Dec 3rd I had an ob visit he and the nurse were unable to see nothing more than an empty sac..order blood test level was at 28000...according to liture with in hormone levels, however not doubling as expected by the doctor....I still feel pregnant...and I have an u/s on Friday I find myself praying every day...but I don't know...I do not want a d/c.....good luck I hope your baby makes it...
thank you...like u said i am for sure waiting till my body/time tells me more but it sure is hard not knowing one way or the other
how far along are u? u will know more at this u/s but if bad news comes make sure u know & understand your options. i will probably opt for the natural course of action but i have been told that usually a d&c can be necessary anyway to be certain all is clear which makes it less likely for problems to arise next time. there is also medication that can take care of it too. BUT, like me, u need more info so don't give up yet & don't be afraid to load questions on your dr. and remember, what may not happen this time is usually for good reason but miracles happen too....good luck!