Maternal & Child Community
miscarriage risk after you see heartbeat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Does anyone know what the miscarriage risk is after you see heartbeat on ultrasound? I am 6 weeks pg and at 5weeks 5 days they did an ultraound and saw the hr at 120 bpm. I am just worried b/c I just had a m/c last month and got pg again before I had a period. Also, my hcg levels are really high for my weeks( 5 weeks and 5 days it was 42,000) and my Dr is sending me to maternal fteal medicine high risk Dr to see what they think about the levels. Does anyone know what they do at those appts? And what the risk of m/c is after heartbeat is seen? Thanks!
Not to alarm you but i had my first prenatal appt on 12/23 when my baby was 8 weeks 5 days old.  the midwife gave me an ultrasound and baby looked GREAT (her words).  Baby was floating around my uterus and had a strong heart beat.  11 days later on 1/3/06 i had a routine ultrasound to check baby's EDD and I learned my baby died.  I was 10 weeks 2 days pregnant  So, word to the wise.. anything can happen at any time.  I hope you have a  healthy 9 months.. with a great strong baby.  I didnt mean to be a bummer..
My doctor told me that the risk of miscarriage after a heartbeat is seen is about 10%.
I had some spotting 2 weeks ago after BD, ( im 13 weeks now) and the nurse said when i questioned her that after the heartbeat is found, your MC chances go way down....
so it is a milestone...:)  however, keep your dr. informed about all your symptoms and what is going on.  i dont know about the levels...my probs were always with premature ruptured membranes....an altogether different worry.
good luck to you and a healthy 9 mo.  ;)
eeek!!! you had spotting after bd???  i did too at 7wks.  no cramping or anything after that.  i dont mean to intrude on privacy, but would you go into some detail about what happened.  my dh seems to think there wasnt much blood.  i on the other hand freaked out and thought for sure it was a miscarriage.  that was 4 days ago.  i seem to be fine but would love to hear about someone else who is fine.  especially since i had m/c last time at this same time.
I'm 8 wks 4d preg. and had a transvaginal ultrasound yesterday. Since a good heartbeat was seen, my doc said that the chances for miscarriage once you've seen a heartbeat are 7%. Once you reach 10 weeks, it goes down a little more. When you reach 12 weeks, your chances of miscarriage is 1 or 2%. Good Luck!
it was like 2 spots, 7 hours after BD.  no cramping.  but i've never bled after bd before.  after a ferning test, but not bd.  it scared me.  i didn't tell dh.  :(  sometimes i keep everything in....not a good thing.  i hope yours was light too...let me know!
:)
mine was worse than that.  dh had it on him and i had it when i wiped.  some light pink spotting here and there for the next few hours.  he still thinks that it wasnt that much but i feel like it was too much.  keeping my fingers crossed, and my legs and my toes and everything that crosses.
when i called my nurse the next day in a panic, the first thing she asked was if my dh and i had had bd.  I was embarassed, but i was like yes, but the wierd thing was, it was early in the morning, and the spots came later that evening.  took me by surprise.  but it must be a little common, as it was the first thing out of her mouth.
thanks for sharing.  i dont think mine was like that.  we had blood instantly.  we opted not to have any testing done, especially since we have been through this before.  we are sitting and waiting.  best wishes for you.
It's great that you saw a strong heart beat really early on but it is still really early. I would say if you see a really strong h/b at 9-10 weeks then your chances of m/c drop dramatically. Could you be further along than you think? The high hcg couple with such a strong h/b suggests maybe the baby's older than you think??? Or is that impossible based on your m/c dates? Usually if you're lucky enough to see a h/b at 5 weeks it's in the 90s. Best of luck and keep us posted.
it is really after the hearbeat is heard with a doppler that the chance of m/c gets much lower so about 10 weeks.
All of the information I have seen says it drops to under 5% once the heartbeat has been seen/heard during the first trimester, after the 12th week, it drops to less than 3%. While it can and does happen, it is very rare. I knwo it never helps when someone tells you to relax, but try to. Stress isn't good for you or baby ; )

Andi
My HCG was off the charts too at 5w3d (24,000).  Doc stopped checking HCG because there is a conditionout there that is not common that can cause some women to have elevated HCG.  You're so lucky they saw a HB at 5w, they did not see one for me and my scan is scheduled for 7w5d... so we'll see.
6wks, 1day, not sure if little one is still there.  Have had bleeding.  I had a vaginal u/s on tues.  They saw the heartbeat but said it was weak and slow.  I called back to get the reading of bpm and they said their machine was not sophisticated enough.  (again ladies in the office, making me very livid again).  This was a fertility spec. office I was at that cost us $370.00, because med insur. would not cover it.  It gave me chills to read about the percentage dropping after hearing the heartbeat, but I have very low hcg levels also.  Still hoping and praying for all of us:)
It is hard to be positive even when you see a heartbeat because of course things acn go wrong at any stage. But it is more encouraging than not seeing one.  I am 6wks and have had some bleeding a scan showed a strong hb but after 2 m/c I daren't get my hopes up. sorry if i sound negative i suppose outlooks are usually based on previous experience. if youve had positive exp then you will be pos and vice versa. good luck to you allxx
I had an ultrasound at 5 wks, 6 days and the baby had a 106 bpm. Because I've miscarried in the past, my doc also nice enough to give me another transvag us at 8wks, 3 days for my peace of mind. I just heard the heartbeat (doppler) today at 11wks, 2 days and everything is great! My doc said that if you see a heartbeat and it's strong, you have a 93% chance that you won't miscarry.
Hi. Here is my history.....My DH and I have been trying to have a baby since Nov, 2002. I got preg for the 1st time in May, 2004 after SEVERAL rounds of clomid and miscarried at 6 weeks. I continued on Clomid and got preg the 2nd time in Oct, 2004 and miscarried at 5 weeks. I had a D&C in Jan, 2005 because Dr. thought he saw polyps on my HSG test. There was nothing....had a D&C for nothing. He increased my Clomid to 150mg Days 3-7. I got preg in Aug, 2005 and miscarried at 6 weeks again. This time he started me on PRogesterone Supps and low dose aspirin but they didn't seem to help. Got pregnant again in Oct, 2005 and miscarried at 7 weeks and saw nothing in the uterus at my 7 week US. Dr thought it was ectopic and wanted me to take methotrexate shot to abort pregnancy. Miscarried on my own the day before I was scheduled to take the injection at 7-1/2 weeks. In December, we had an accident because I was supposed to be seeing a fert specialist around the 1st of Feb and I got pregnant without any medication. On Jan 17th when my cycle was late I got a BFP on a home test and called the Dr right away to have my blood work done. My hcg was 76.5 and progesterone was 12. He right away told me to use 2 50mg prog supps a day. A week later my progesterone had dropped to 8.8. He then started me on PRogesterone in Oil injections (once/day) and Lovenox injections (once/day). We saw the baby and the fluttering heartbeat last Wednesday, Feb 8th and were so excited and thought this was it after 5 unexplained m/cs we finally did it. We just had a 2nd US yesterday Wed, Feb 15th and the Dr couldn't find anything in my uterus but only looked via transvaginal US for a few seconds and right away said he thought it was another m/c. Has anyone ever seen a heartbeat one week and then a week later saw nothing? I have no cramps, or bleeding and have had no bleeding since my last period. I don't know what to think anymore. I am hoping that he was not thorough in his US yesterday because our appt was so late in the day.....Is there still hope? Please respond! I am on pins and needles worrying about this one. This would be my first baby and 6th pregnancy since May of 2004.  I am currently 8 weeks, 5 days.  1st US was done 7 weeks, 4 days and 2nd US was done 8 weeks, 4 days.  LMP was Dec 17th.
oh.  I( read the last post and I feel dreadful for you.  It's a difficult time.  I cannot answer your specific question, except to say that I'm so sorry, it is unlikely that your baby is still alive, but it could happen.  I am assuming that by tans-vag ultrasound, you mean one of those lo-res portable machines.  When you are deciding if you can trust your doctors assessment, you might consider the following.  I was once told at an early pregnancy assessment clinic at 10 weeks that on portable ultrasound and signs that I appeared to by 10 weeks pregnant with a single healthy foetus, and that I shouldn;t be alarmed that the small machine hadn't picked up a heartbeat.  I was referred for a full U/S the same morning, which found that the baby had died many weeks previous.  Basically, the portable ultrasound does not provide a definative answer.    I had a miscarriage specialist for my last pregnancy and I found that helped tremendously.  He was someone who believed in running tests and finding reasons, most imprtantly I trusted him.  If your doctor is not someone that you trust, they are not the person to be doing this with.  It is probably worth asking around for a miscarriage management clinic or specialist doctor - there are also some good books out there (try amazon), but they are unlikely to be completely up to date as treatments have come and gone in fads.  Giving progesterone shots is - as far as I know - out of fashion unless there is a specific condition being treated.  My thoughts are really with you and I hope you have a lot of support.  In answer to an earlier question, my specialist felt that the chance of miscarriage was below 2% if a heartbeat was demonstrated at 10 weeks.  By this stage, the chance of miscarriage due to foetal genetic problems is low, because much of the developement is complete.  Obviously, foetal heatbeat doesn't reduce the (small) chance of miscarrriage due to maternal factors.  My 10 wk U/S is nextr week, and I have stopped sleeping.  I'm a wreck, but hanging in there.
HI read your comment and I wanted to say that I think you need to see a Reproductive Endocrinologist.  I have used the SIRM Institute and they are wonderful.  I don't know what area you are from but they have locations on the East and West Coast.  If you go to www.haveababy.com you can post a question on the discussion board and a doctor will answer your question.  They are wonderful and they do an incredible job of finding out the problems you may be having.  I would check out their website and maybe ask a question on their boards.
We had our 3rd sono yesterday and there was a sac but no embryo and no heartbeat.  I stopped my injections and am waiting to m/c on my own.
I am so sorry to hear about your loss.  Those progesteron injections are rough, though.  I've been doing them for 5 weeks now and I can barely walk.  When you feel healed emotionally and physically I really hope you find a good dr. who can help you.  Again I really recommend the SIRM Institute.  My prayers are with you.
had two miscarriages . first one on 15 May 2006 at 6 weeks. second one in 28 April 2007 at 13 weeks. got preg with clomid. have access wight due to plycistic ovaries. very depressed. does nay one know a good doc in india or srilanka?thanks
Hi there, Ive had some light brown bleeding for 2 days now, nothing much, just when I wipe (Sorry if tmi)

Well today I went for a scan - they found a heartbeat and baby measured perfect for my days, 6 weeks and 4 days,  she said the yolk sac was smooth which meant that it wasnt damaged in any way...

So what are my chances? Any ideas? Ive had 3 previous miscarriages and have had a healthy baby since then. I had a good feeling about this one, lots of symptoms etc... and just a general good feeling!!
I went for an ultrasound Tuesday July 24th, 2007 and had a strong heartrate of 171bpm. My doctor told me at a previous appointment that I would of been 9 weeks 3 days but the ultrasound showed that the baby measured to be around 8 weeks 5 days. I've been worrying myself sick about this pregnancy because this is my first and I'm not sure what to expect. I've had some pretty bad "cramping" in the past few weeks but not like a menstrual cramp, I haven't has any bleeding except for the occasional spooting early on but I'm worrying myself sick thinking that I'll have a miscarriage. I find myself on the computer quite often trying to find anyone out there is having the same or similar problems so I thought I'd post a comment and see if i got any results. Thanks for reading. Megan
Its normal to be a few days off.  Your only 5 days behind.  Cramping is normal.  I spotted and cramped with this pregnancy till 10 weeks.  I'm getting ready to meet him soon.  Once you see the h/b your chances do decrease.  Don't worry until you have a reason to.  
I'm about 13 weeks 2 days previously had a m/c 1 Aug last year at 12 weeks 3 days (suspected blighted ovum). So obviously I am stressing still.......terrified that my appt next week to find the heartbeat etc will tell me my baby has died or that I have another blighted ovum. Does anybody know the chances of this happening at my stage? Would I have miscarried by now? No spotting, cramps (except mild backache etc). Pregnancy symptoms still strong.
miscarriage risk after seeing heartbeat is 5% and 1% after you have finished the first trimester. Maternal-fetal medicine doctors specialize in pregnancy complications, maternal medical or genetic hx, and fetal abnormailites.
Hi everyone, I am 9 weeks pregnant to the day and in my 7th week i had an ultrasound which showed a heartbeat of 158. They say that the baby looks good and it measured exactly what it should have. The only thing is that since about 4 weeks in I have had spotting off an on about once or twice a week of brown/pink bd. We could the spot on the ultrasound. I wonder if someone could let me know if this is normal? The spotting has me freaked beacuse they put me on modified bed rest because of it. This is my first pregnancy and I really hope that everything will be okay. Is 158 a good heart rate for my 7 week 4 day ultrasound?
I had miscarriage at 6wks in Dec 15, 2007 did not see heartbeat. Pregnant again Jan 2, 2008 with no period. I am 6 wks 2 days, went to doctor yesterday and saw heartbeat. Doctor has me on prometrium 200 mg due to low progesterone. Back in Dec my progesterone was at 5, was on prometrium but started taking it too late and pregnancy failed. With this pregnancy progesterone level was 18 initially before dr put me back on prometrium. However, 2 weeks after taking prometrium I started spotting between brown and pink blood, nothing heavy, but been consistent for past week. Dr. said cervix was closed and all test results came back favorable. Dr said don't have exact explanation for breakthrough bleeding but as long as it is not fresh bright red blood followed by cramping and clotting then not much to worry about, but will keep watch to make sure. I am schedule for another U/S on next 2/21 and 2/26. Will keep you posted and keep you in prayer
i got pregnant of june last year and had a miscarriage at 7 weeks. I tried to get pregnant for a while and then my doctor put me on clomid. the 1st two months i didnt get pg even though the 2nd month i did ovulate. i just took  a test three days ago and got an immediate positive and i wasn't due for my period until the next day. i took 4 pregnancy tests over the course of 2 days and each line was darker. could this indicate a strong pregnancy?
i am seeing a high risk doctor they moniter you a lot im on blood thinners so i have to go alot. im 4 weeks still no bby heart beat and i was spotting a few days ago then it stopped but i kep getting cramps like its that time of the month and some days its bad so just wondering if any one has advice first baby for us and i had a misscarriage before but i never made it this far and im scared to lose the baby we tried for 2 years and nothing till now
I saw my baby's heartbeat for the first time at 7.5 weeks but the baby was only measuring 6 weeks, which worried me, but my doctor said the measurements weren't always precise. Then a week later on a Thursday, I started spotting...it was light at first with some cramping. I went to the emergency room where the doctor said everything looked fine - the baby's heartbeat was still strong and I should stay on bed rest through the weekend...so I did.

But I never really stopped bleeding...Then on Sunday the bleeding got worse and I went back to the ER where the doctor said the baby was STILL doing great and that it could go either way. He'd seen women bleed for weeks and go on to deliver healthy babies and he'd also seen women miscarry after bleeding so much. All I could do was wait...

By Tuesday when things weren't better I knew losing the baby was inevitable. It happened Tuesday night after a lot of cramping and pain. Fortunately, I was able to take the tissue in for genetic testing which was a godsend...two weeks later we found out that the baby was a girl...but she had an extra set of chromosomes due to a problem with the egg splitting at conception or due to two sperm fertilizing the egg at the same time (very rare). She would never have lived past being born -- we felt a HUGE relief knowing that even though she had a strong heartbeat up until the end, my body or god knew that she wouldn't make it on the outside. It was a blessing it happened at 10 weeks and not later in the pregnancy.

I thought for sure the fact that she had a heartbeat until the end meant that it was something that was wrong with me....but when in reality it was her. I'm now pregnant again (almost 12 weeks) and I have a ton of anxiety about losing the baby. But so far so good and what gives me strength is knowing that most of the time miscarriage happens because the baby is not viable. Good luck to everyone - lots of baby dust :-)
I had two miscariages last year, both at about 6 1/2 weeks.  It was very difficult, but my dh and I decided to try again at the beginning of this year and we got pregnant in one try in January.  Mr Dr. put me on Progesterone (Premetrium) right at 4 weeks.  We had our first u/s at 6 weeks and were so thrilled to see a heartbeat!  We had never made it that far before and we really felt that it was a sign that everything woud be OK this time.  I had a 2nd u/s today and the baby had stopped developing, no heartbeat.  I am devestated and do not understand how this can happen a 3rd time.  We have both been tested extensively and they have found nothing wrong.  I just don't get this.  It does not seem fair.  And now I have to decide about a d&c, I can't even think straight.  My Dr. gave me valium.  I just want to escape all of this.  And I am realising that I may never have a baby and I do not undertand why.  I was so scared to get my hopes up this time, but that heartbeat seemed to be a good sign.  Now I have to tell everyone what happened - again!  I feel like such a failure and this is the hardest thing I have ever gone through.  Thank you to all of you for listenning to my story.
Lori
I had a sono at 13 1/2 weeks and saw a strong heartbeat. 4 weeks later at 17 weeks I found out my son had died at 16 weeks 6 days. So, it can always happen and you might not know it. I had my labor induced and had to go through a full L/D. I don't mean to be a downer, but if I have learned ANYTHING in this terrible process it is that you have to appreciate every MINUTE that you are pregnant because it can end at any time. (Just a side not I had had 2 completely normal pregnancies before that).
I am currently 13 weeks now, and I will not relax until I have this baby home in a car seat.
I am now 11 w and 2 days pregnant, and already have a long story. At 9 weeks 2 days i was at a town event and started bleeding, bleeding so much that by the time i got to the hospital my pants were soaked in blood, i thought for sure the baby was gone. I had had 2 previous sonos at 5 weeks and again at 7 that both showed some kind of a fetal HB obviously with the one at 7 weeks better than the one at 5 weeks. Then again a sono at 9 weeks showed the HB again at a whole 180 and my hormone levels very high at 109,000. My cervix was still closed and what they found is a subchorionic hemhorrage and placenta previa. I have been of the sports off the sex and off anything strenuous for two weeks now with no bleeding and still pregnant as far as i know. So i do believe anything can happen and anything is possible. I have lost a previous baby at 11 weeks when i went in for a routine sono. I had had a previous sono at 7 weeks with a heartbeat and then the 11 week sono showed that the baby had died but my body wasnt expelling it!! so i had to have a D/C for fetal demise, but that was years ago before my second and third children were born, keep your head up!!!
I got pregnant in Feb 2009  and lost it in March of 2009, then I got pregnant in May 2009 and lost it in June 2009... Then I accidentally got pregnant this time before I had a period and am currently 6w4days preggers!! I went 8/3/09 for an Ultrasound n saw only the gestational sac, and then went back today and saw the fetal pole and the heartbeat!!! I am soo excited!! I am hoping that this baby makes it into this world because it ***** having a miscarriage... I am only 21 and its scary to think about.. My previous OB put me on progesterone supplements but then I moved and now the place I am going to says that they dont offer progesterone to patients for early pregnancy, that if the body doesn't provide it and I miscarry that basically isn't their problem. I still have enough progesterone to take for 6 more months but  I don't know if I should continue and if I do, how long I should continue the suppliments for.... because I have no way of knowing if my levels are up or down and if they are up if they are staying up and doing what they are supposed to do??? I am soo confused and this progesterone has helped me soo far because this is the first time we have ever gotten this far, and even though I am spotting with a light brown discharge, I still think this pregnancy is going to make it I just need some advice!! Any comments would help! Thanks!!!
Ashley from Alabama!
i had 2 mc this year too! the one was a dnc and the second naturally the second one i saw the heart beat in the morning lost it that night. anyways after my last mc i got preg right away w/o a period. i lost both babys at 6 weeks im now 18 weeks and 1 day. so hopefully u should be ok. good luck!
i had a miscarriage june 08, had u/s at 7weeks 5 days and had heartbeat (although dont know what rate, they didnt say, maybe it was low?) and then had light bleeding at 13weeks, where no heart rate was found with doppler so was schelduled for emergency scan on same day where we found out we'd misscarried at around 8 weeks. So it was under a week after seeing the heart beat!
This pregnancy we saw heart beat at 6weeks 4days, and heard it on the doppler at 10weeks 2days. i dont think there is any one answer for us all that have experienced a miscarriage. it seems to be so random and mostly unexplainable.
i am just holding out for next appt when we can hear heartbeat at 14weeks 2days. i might just relax a wee bit then.. but probably not!
hi

i also took progesterone suppositories in pregnancy 200mg (twice daily) with my 3 pregnancies that ended in success (had previously lost 3 babies), i was told to take them from the moment i knew i was pregnant, until the end of 1st trimester. if you are taking a similar dose then 3 months should hopefully be enough. hope this helps, good luck x
Thanks I'm doing well so far I'm 8w2days pregnant n that's exactly amount of progesterone I'm on hoping n praying all goes well ash
Feb 2009 i had gotten pregnant total surprise to me yet i was very excited.Sometime in the beginning of March or so i started cramping nothing real bad but just like it was the time of month.the only thing was it kept getting worse,after a week or so i was laid up on the couch in pain.maybe a day later bleeding started and i release like 10 blood clots
(sry tmi)so asap i make an apt to go to planned parenthood since i wasn't on any insurance.They did an indovaginal(sp) U/S and found a nice heart in the 140's and they said everything looked fine and just to relax and the bleeding sure calm down.Well the bleeding only got worse releasing more clots.so i went back to them and they said everything i was fine the hb was actually raising was in the 150's.they even gave me the picture they took of the baby.they said if i lose any clots with tissue attached that was most likely the baby.well that night literally i had released my final blood clot and it was infact the baby i went back to planned parenthood yet again and they did another ultrasound and they saw bleeding in my uterus and no baby or heartbeat.i was upset yet relieved at the same time because i knew myself i was ready for a baby at this time.i already have a 15 almost 16 month old daughter and im only 19.August 2009 i had gotten preg again another total surprise this time i was most excited because my b/f was going into the army so everything would have worked out.i took a pregnancy test sometime in the beginning of September and i got a positive result.over just this past weekend i wanna say Friday i started having a light brown spotting like discharge again sorry TMI well i thought everything was ok according to what i have read online.well Saturday night i started actually bleeding bright red blood but i only bleeded when i walked or stood up so i put myself on bed rest lol the bleeding at the time was only spotting.Last night Sunday October 4th i was losing clots like crazy i swear i lost 10 or 12 i surely thought i miscarried then.and i had horrible pains what felt exactly like back labor if any of you experienced that i know i did with my first daughter.well anyways it got so bad my boyfriend drove me to the ER and they did an indovaginal U/S and they saw some bleeding in my uterus and NO BABY.that when i knew i lost the baby.they were concerned maybe it was an etopic pregnancy  so they checked for that and it wasnt and they discharged me.my cramps got a whole lot better.well tonight literally maybe an hour ago i released prob the last clot and i know it was the baby i saw EVERYTHING the eyes the umbilical cord EVERYTHING.even little hands it rly scared me and i started crying i was 10wks 2 days preg.i still have light bleeding and almost no cramps.Has anyone ever experienced that before?im gonna do a follow up with planned parenthood sometime this week or next week to make sure everything is gone and i dont need a d&c done.Now i believe those cramps were actually labor i know i sound crazy but it feel just like it,and when i lost the baby i also had the urge to push so idk.
I had a sonogram 10 days ago and saw a heartbeat (110 bpm).  Today I went in for an 8 week examine and found out that the fetus had died....no heartbeat.
honestly the stats don't mean anything. I saw a strong heart beat and then had a missed miscarriage at 10 weeks, I found out when I went in for an ultrasound at 11 weeks. You just never know and the waiting *****, but that's all you can do.
2 months ago I had a dnc due to a missed m/c. I hadnt gotten my period yet so I just happen to take a pg test,sure enough pregnant. I am scared out of my mind! They took blood my hcg was 75,000 had an ultrasound and the baby heart was beating good at 166. I found out I am seven weeks 2days. I am so scared to lose another baby but am trying to be positive because things are starting good with my hcg levels and baby has a strong heartbeat!
i recently had a fetal demise at 12 weeks by my lmp at 10 week i got u/s and it had a strong heart beat but this week i went for a check up after spoting and my baby did not have a heart beat and the dr said the baby had hydrocephulas i had a d&c and i would like to know if anybody has experience this before and what are my chances of having another pregnancy the same thank you
im 7 1/2 weeks pregnant, 2 weeks ago i had spotting and cramps my doctor put me on bed rest ! last week we did a ultra and we got a very low h/b of 111 is that normal for 7 weeks ??
Sorry for the ignorance, but what is BD? I Have had two miscarriages in the past year and a half, and I am 9 weeks preg. I had an ultrasound done at 8 weeks, and the heart rate was 157 beats per minute, very strong. I had a very very little spotting the other day and today, I'm freaking out now. No cramps though.
i dont want to alarm you in any way, but on 10th jan i went for a transvaginal u/s to find i had one fetal pole without a heartbeat and a fetal pole with a 'good strong heartbeat' ( their words ). i also had 2 empty gestational sacs and another sac with a yolk. (i had ivf and 2 eggs implanted). they said this was rare and wanted me back 10 days later for another u/s. of course i was hoping to see my babys' heartbeat there again and it wasn't. it dies the same day as my last u/s as it had not grown any in them 10 days. all i want to say is that it can happen to try and prepare you for the worst, i dont want to come across as uncaring because it is devastating as i sincerely know and am still going through the pain from monday. i hope you don't go through what i am going through now, as i wouldnt wish it on anybody, and that yours is good news. my thoughts are with you x
im 6 wks pregnant and and im 24 years old. i had a miscarriage at 7 wks  back when i was 18 years old. and i have hypothyroidism and wisdom teeth problems. should i be ok?
I had my first ultrasound 2 days after Christmas 12-27-2009 and found i was expecting identical twins. they both looked healthy and had heartrates at 150bpm. I was so excited to be expecting. but On 1-26-2010 everything changed.  I woke up with small amount of vaginal bleeding. i rushed to the emergency room, and learned that my twins died shortly after the ultrasound on 12-27. I would suggest if u have any bleeding at all go to your doctor or local emergency room asap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! u can never be too careful when it comes to your baby or in my case babies.
RIP Twins mommy Loves You so Much
I'm 8 weeks today, and had an u/s last Wednesday. Saw a good heartbeat but wasn't told what the heart rate was. I just keep getting paranoid because most of my symptoms have started to die down. I'm still a little nauseous and have really light cramping. Is this normal?
I really appreciate all the sharing I have found on this thread. I'm not sure if I'm posting in th eright place but I hope no one minds, I just really need to share.  I just went for my first US last Friday (1/29/10) and there was no heartbeat. Tech wouldn't tell me, just said that Dr. needed to call us. But I had a feeling itwasn't good because no one holds back on GOOD news.
I was about 9wks 3 days with my first pregnancy (I'm 39 yrs old) at the first US appt on 1/29/10. Dr called later Friday afternoon (Thank god he did not wait until Monday because I was upset by my experience of suspecting problems, being told nothing and then waiting.) He informed me that the baby died at sometime in Week 8. Ugh. It was an awful moment.  I just kept trying to figure out what could've happened. MY HCG and bloodwork was excellent only a few days earlier. He assured me that this usually happens because of a genetic issue and nothing we could've done. He recommended a D & C which I am getting tomorrow (Thurs 2/4). Luckily my husband is a real doll and has been there for me. This is just so awful. I heard of many women having healthy pregnancies later and that MCs are very common. That actually blew my mind. I had no idea and was shocked at my own arrogance that I told so many people I was pregnant before I saw a heartbeat. Luckily no one at work, etc., but my entire family knew. It's such a drag. I do want to say that sites and comments like the ones I've read here have HELPED ME SO MUCH. I feel like I'm not alone and I want to thank each and every one of you (even those that had better news then I did) for your time and sharing. Thanks a million.
I just lost my baby on friday at 16 weeks.....went to the dr & the heart beat was gone!! Had to have an D&E due to the size of the baby being too big for a D&C.  I lost my baby Aidan last year at 20 weeks........same scenerio went to my 20 week sono & no heart beat baby died in utero.  I have no answers to why this keeps happening to us!! we are devastated, Thank God we have our miracle Chloe born in 2007, so we are counting our blessings & giving up.  If they could guarantee me it wouldn't happen again I would chance it but my body or heart can take any more losses.
I had a sonogram at 7 weeks and had a heartbeat of 135.  I started spotting on Friday night.  The blood was not red and it was just when I peed...so the nurse reassured me that all was probably fine.  Today is Wednesday...still spotting, but heavier...still brown, not red.  i pestered my way into my dr's office.  They did a sonogram...no heartbeat,  The baby died probably 2 weeks ago (8 weeks).  I am full od sadness and unbelievable guilt.  This forum is what made me feel like I needed to go to the dr. Thanks for all the info.  Now, I pray that this is not the last time I can get pregnant.  Thanks again.
i am currently 7 weeks and 4 days pregnant. i did a scan at 6 weeks 1 day and they could not detect a heartbeat although there was some flutter on the screen.  doctor told me to go back 3 days later and at that visit, while she was not that happy with the growth of the fetal pole, we saw a heartbeat (107 bpm) and a 5mm CRL.  this afternoon, i went to the doctor and they could not detect a heartbeat and CRL was around 7mm.  doctor said that i will need to decide whether i want to let it pass naturally or go for a d&c

my pregnancy symptoms had been lessening in the past few days (my appetite came back, my breasts were less sore)  so i suspected that something may be wrong.  but in terms of probabilities, i was in the high risk category: (i) over the age of 35 (ii) had 3 previous miscarriages and (iii) was bleeding in week 4 (bright red blood and clots) and spotting brown blood since then except 2 days ago when blood passed was red and there was a coin sized clot.  having said that, my one successful pregnancy, i also bled in the first trimester (and quite a lot).  

i just want to share my story as i have gotten some comfort in reading people's stories in my paranoia in the last 2 weeks by knowing i am not alone
Hi chilli2358. I am so sorry for your loss, both of them at 20 weeks. I don't know whether you've been tested for Factor V Leiden but it's a blood clotting gene that can increase risk of miscarriage and still birth in the second and third trimesters. I am Factor V Leiden Homozygous, which means I am 80 times ++ more likely to have a DVT in pregnancy and there's a high risk that the baby will miscarry due to clotting in the placenta. Ask your Dr to test you for that and other clotting factors. I'm 6 weeks and 3 days (with a strong heartbeat and good HCG levels) after suffering 2 miscarriages. I'm hopeful that under the care of numerous specialists the third time will be the charm.
hey, im 20 yrs and about 14 weeks pregnant...i played volleyball yesterday with the family and now Im worried about the baby. I wasnt diving and trying to move all around the court to hit the ball, like a pro would do. Just a hit there and a here...im really not that good. But i cant help to wonder about my baby.  I woke up the next day feeling normal...no mornnig sickness, no crampin, just had to pee really bad and was starving but thats normal when i just wake up...right? My doc appointment is a few days away shound i be scared? Should I prepared myself for the worst? What should I do, i wasnt even thinking I just wanted to have fun...but i was thinking of it as some good excersise for me and the baby. By the way this is my first pregnancy...
i was 14 weeks pregnant and had a miscarraige (miscarriage) yesterday they said the baby was the size of an 8 week baby i dont understand y the doctors sent me home and when at home i hemeraged and lost a lot of blood is this the doctors fault
I had a M/C at 13 weeks, Prior to that I went for my Dr. Appt and Heard the Heartbeat it was fine. Then went back in 2 weeks for my regular checkup and there was no heartbeat. I am not sure what happen between those 2 weeks. The Dr's didn't have any answers. Then I actually had to go in and have natural birth. I had the baby May 2, 2010. I am currently still bleeding. Now this week went for ulstrasound to see if they left any of the afterbirth in me. If so they will have to do a D & C. I do not understand why come they didn't do that after i had the baby. Consfused!  
hi,
im 7weeks 4days preg, went for my first u/s 2 days ago due to spotting, it showed everything fine and my baby had a heart beat..apart from my baby was only showing about 4mm and 5-6 weeks :/ i'm confused....... got home that night and started to have period like blood im scared and i've had previouse misscarages but didn't know how far i was, the bleeding hasn't stoped and i went to the a&e and they said they couldn't do anything which is a downer and i'm so upset it felt like some one ripped my heart out...
any one been through the same thing or is it just me ???
U have same pregnant period with me, I'm 7w3d, as far as I know, if u see bleeding, u visit the doctor, then u shouldnt move so much, just have a rest, dont do heavy work. this may keep ur pregant period safe
Im not sure if Im writting in the right spot, but here goes.
3rd m/c. 1st just after missed period, 2nd 1 week after missed period.
3rd... was at 10weeks.
wasnt expecting to fall with 3rd m/c at all. hadnt tried for years.
well we were over the moon. awsome surprise as i reached my 30th birthday.
a little brown spotting when my first missed period was due, only after intercourse, we decided to lay off that for a little while.
morning sickness a plenty. then at 10 weeks (just after missing 2nd period, feeling like this could be the little survivor) i had some brown spotting, went to docs next day, he checked my cervix and said it was still closed, a good sign.
that night the bleeding picked up to like a period.
2 days later, driving home, i was doubled over in pain. gushing blood, had to sit on 2 jackets to soak it up.
got home, had the biggest clot i have ever seen in my life, then another.
horrifying!!!
went to emeregncy.
had ultrasound (1st 1 for this pregnancy)
the u/s showed no baby, just the yolk sack but no heart beat.
they sent me home and said to see my doc in 1 week for a follow up, or come back if there was any major changes.
next day i blead and clotted... im talking like 20+ clots that day.
had hardly slept since it all started.
then the clots stopped.
non for 3 days, then a few small 1s here and there.
went to docs, had ultra sound,
was told there was remaing products from conception... lovely term that!!!
went to emergency 2 days later under docs advice for a d & c.
lucky for me, i know the head theatre nurse, so she pulled strings for me and made it a lot better experience than it would have been.
sent home 2 hours after op.
light bleeding now.
the purpose of my story....
if u r worried, dont self diagnose... dont think that these forums (as great and helpful as they are) will answer questions based on ur case... see ur doc... get a u/s do what it takes to put ur mind at ease. im only 3 days out of this op. still feeling it all rather raw to be honnest.
but the thing is, i am left wondering what have i done, i have 2 awsome kids, 13 and 11. had them young... damn glad i did now. as since my youngest i havent had a succesful pregnancy.
they told me they were send the remaining products off for testing. who knows what i might get back from it.
but what i do know is after seeing all that blood come out of me, i dont know if i could do it again. i mourn this unborn cherub that didnt get a chance, but now i look at the 2 that i am soooo lucky to have and think what if something went realy wrong with me because of all this.
i am affraid, i am sad, i am anxious now.
the hospital asked me if i had 'seen' the baby, i was distraught at this thourt and couldnt comprehend how any of the wonderful women on here could cope with that? i take my hat off to ur stories ladies. and to those that have kids, or are in the midst of a succesfull pregnancy congrats emensly.
to those that have only known loss. i wont ever know the feeling of not having a child, as i am blessed with 2. but i do know this, i know what i lost, i know what u have lost. and i feel for u all.
i pray for answers and healing for us all. in our individual ways we have suffered and come together here to share and grieve.
if i get anything helpful back from the lab i will post it. im doubtful tho.
i wish many blessings on u all
i have three children, 12, 6, 2 and I am currently 6 weeks pregnant. I'm very nervous because last December I had a miscarriage at 12 weeks. I had seen the heartbeat via ultrasound 3 times! everything seemed fine, I had morning sickness... all the signs of a healthy pregnancy... I went in for a routine U/S and there was no heartbeat and it appeared that the baby had died within two days prior to my visit. The next morning I had a D&C. They tested the tissues and said it was a female and "normal" which only raised more question... Just hoping for a better outcome this time!
Ok so here is my little story. My husband and I got pregnant in October of 2006. We were so excited! Went in for u/s and we were told everything looked great. Started bleeding January 2 of 2007 and went to the hospital. There had been no cramping or warning. Had the u/s done at the hospital and there was no heartbeat and the baby had detatched making them think I could miscarry naturally. I actually passed a clot and saw my baby later that day. After that I could not get pregnant! 4 years of clomid and no luck. We decided this year to begin treatment at an infertility clinic. I set up artificial insemenation for August of this year hoping for the best. I had to have a blood test done just before they started me on pills to force ovulate since I hadnt been. The nurse called and said she couldnt give me the pills. My heart dropped. I asked her why and she answered "because youre pregnant already!!!" I sat in  shock for a while. 4 years of heartache and now pregnant?Well later that week I started bleeding lightly and went to the e.r. prepared for the end. They did a u/s and I watched the screen hopelessly and then I saw it....a heartbeat. I was in disbelief. Could it really be? so Ive seen my baby heartbeat 4 times now. I am at week 9 today. My last u/s was the other day and they gave me pics of my baby waving the arms in the air. They also said all of my levels look perfect. I am so scared. I have a little cramping here and there and I just keep thinking " please God help me to not have to deal with another loss." I am hoping for the best. I am afraid.
Congratulations!! Wish you all the best....Try to relax and enjoy the feeling of being pregnant. I know it's easier to say than doing...I had my first IVF a week back...need to wait for another week before taking the test...Trying really hard to resist the temptation of doing a home preg test...
Jackie
I just M/C on Sept 8,2010.I had low back pain.I went to see my doctor went to the bathroom and it came out in the toilet. I was12weeks 3days..this is my third M/C one in June1999, Jan 2010 and Sept 2010.When i went to an U/S at 10weeks and 3 days the heartbeat was 157. I have a uterine fibriod so I think that had something due with my recurrent of M/C...also I had an abration in July 2002. So they are since my baby out for gential (genital) testing.I will no the result in two week. The doctor it maybe was a boy. Well wishes to everyone that half to go thru this.I'm going to try next years. I'm 32 years old.

hello, im jemma 20 married and from northampton. This is my 4th time iv been pregnant as i misscaraged with the last 3. im 13 weeks pregnant naw, i started bleeding at 5 weeks 3 day but stopped that night had a scan and every thing was fine with the baby, had my 12 week scan at 10 weeks 2 days everything was great. i then got to 12 weeks 3 days and i thought that was it i was in real bad pain between my bits and my bum and was bleeding really heavy went into hospital again had a scan next day and every thing was fine, babys heart was beating fine, size was perfect, but still no one has sed why this is happening im 13 weeks 1 day and dred everyday in case it happens again i cry most nights praying that god will keep our baby going alive safe and well, im so scared how hard can it be to be a mother and father, i love all my babys iv been pregnant with and wish i could have them back, im so scared itl happen again wot are the chances xxx thanks for listening jemma xxx
i had two consecutive m/c. first one at 10wks w/ very strong fetal heartbeat then just suddenly started bleeding. U/S showed no more heartbeat and baby died. My second pregnancy was blighted ovum. Started bleeding at 9wks and ultrasound showed empty gestational sac..im still scared to try for another pregnancy with all that trauma i went through. hopefully when i do get pregnant again it will be successful this time
My story is alittle different.  I start with saying it can be so easy to take a healthy pregnancy for granted...I did four times.  I have four beautiful daughters.  My biggest concern was that my first was breech and would not turn, so I had to have an emergency c-section with her once my water broke.  Tried to do a v-back with second daughter but to no avail.  Four c-sections later.  You are probably wondering why am I writing then, well life doesnt always go as planned.  I am a widow of four young daugthers.  Never did I believe that I would receive the "flag" for his duty. In trying to survive and rebuild our lives, a yournger man has stayed by my side when no one else has been there.  We married.  He has been wonderful to love my girls as his own,  WE want to have a child of our own together as well as adopt....taking care of the widows and the orphans.  We have been pregnant twice, both miscarriages. First one I lost around eight weeks with what appeared as an empty sac.  Then with this prehnancy the doc was being proactive with getting me in early.  We did an u/s at 6wks5days, first did a vaginal and couldnt see anything, then did over the belly and there was the baby.  He wanted more details so I went to radiology for another u/s and saw everything great, strong heartbeat, 128bpm.  We all have been so excited.  Morning sickness, breast tenderness, fatigue, had it all. Went in three weeks later and the baby stopped developing, no heartbeat. I am currently miscarrying as I write.  My husbanc doesnt live with me, another state, married another military guy, so I am dealing with this alone...with the exception of with my girls.  I keep trying to figure out is it me, him, being older, being with a new man, what?  Doc said to wait for a cycle then if we are up to it, try again.  With me having healthy prgnancies prior doesnt mean anything is "wrong".  It just taken us so much longer with heartache as we try to build a new dream.  I only get to see him about once a month, training. So that doesnt help with the baby planning.  Praying for a healthy new begining.  Enduring 46
I am in the same situation as many of you, not even 5 weeks pregnant (just found out) after 2 miscarriages, first unexplained, second one due to trisomy error (extra chromosome).  been seeing fertility dr. and now on progesterone suppository.  So scared, can't even tell hubby.  I want to try to wait until after 1st trimester.  I'm so scared that I"m freaking myself out ALL the time.  Anyone else??
hi everyone i am 7 weeks preg have been spotting on and off again,,,but my cervix r completly closed and my baby has 136 hb..this is my 4th pregancy my first 2 end in m/c my 3rd was born at 29 weeks gestation (perfectly fine) i have been very worried with this pregancy but,so far all is great even thou i was spotting which has stopped now since my dr put me on progesterone and baby asprin 81 mg..so heads up not all symptoms point toward m/c GOOD LUCK to all and a happy 9 months pregancy...
to everyone, thanks for posting your comments they are very helpful, thank you.

I discovered that I was pregnant with my first child 9 weeks ago. At 7 weeks I went in for u/s and obgyn said baby is doing great and I could see a strong heartbeat. Then two days later, I stay having flu-like symptoms and I dismissed it and hoping it will go away. But four days had passed symptoms didn't go away and I had to be transported to the hospital because my blood pressure drop, I was having chills and shortness of breath. A few days after my ordeal at the ER, my pregnancy symptoms starts disappearing. Morning sickness when away, nausea went away and migraines when away. I suspect something was wrong so I went to see my obgyn and had another u/s and discovered that the fetus has been dead for a week already.

I am so mad at myself and blaming myself for not taking care of my body. I should have gone to a doctor when I had the flu-like symptoms. Now that I had this m/c I start reading stuff online and discovered that infections and virus can cause a miscarriage. I had an infection and I dismissed it. I am the one to be blame for the baby's death. Hope everyone will be more responsible than me. I am just so pissed off at myself. Good luck to everyone and please take good care of yourself because if you don't feel good your baby will not feel good also.
I am 7 weeks and at 6 weeks had a transvaginal ultrasound that confirmed a healthy heart rate. However I had a second ultrasound today that confirmed the heart rate but it has dropped drastically. I had a miscarrage (miscarriage) a year ago in April,  the same situation with no bleeding either time. Make sure your doctor follows up with many ultrasounds to confirm status of the baby. Best of luck and wishes to you for a healthy pregnancy!  I see mfm tom. To see if I will miscarry again. Don't loose hope, I have a healthy 4 year old daughter whom I had no complications with.
Hello all, just want to share my experience with everyone. I had a mc in April. Second pregnancy and we have a healthy girl at 2.5. That pregnancy ended at about 7 weeks. We didn't have ultrasound yet as it was scheduled for the 8 weeks mark. I started to spot, very little, almost dried and very dark brown and only wiped. The spotting lasted about two days and turned a little redder but still fairly small amount. On Monday, I went in for a hcg blood test and the doctor called me that my level is only about 3-4 weeks. Sure enough, I miscarried that night. We got pregnant again in Aug. I went in for a blood test at 6.5 weeks and everything was fine. A few days later, I started to spot again - almost like the same as before. We have a different insurance this time and were able to go in for urgent care on the weekend. Exactly at 7 weeks, the doctor found heartbeat and said everything looked fine. Two days later, the brown spotting was accompanied by very tiny pieces (almost dot like) of blood clot - still very dark brown - everyone said it's old blood. But I was concerned so I went in again for another check up. The doctor almost laughed (not really but i could tell in his tone of voice) for coming back so soon. He did another ultrasound and said, see the heartbeat is still there, you are fine. Your chance of having a mc is only about 5-20%. Of course, no one had any explanation for blood spotting and the falling clots. That night, almost the same time as last time - the baby fell out.  
I am 11 weeks pregnant and the baby has a strong heart beat however; I have lost 6 babies by miscarriages...I am terrified!

mommieboo
Crossing my fingers for you, mommieboo!  You're almost to the point where the chance of miscarriage drops off a cliff.

I'm 7 weeks, 3 days pregnant!  My boobs have been SO sore, until today.  They're still sore, but not nearly as bad as they have been.  Feeling nervous.

In March, a hpt showed a light blue line at 5 weeks, then I had my period.  In July, we got to 10.5 weeks and there was no longer a heartbeat.

I hope I hope I hope...
I am 6.3weeks & started bleeding.  I was at drs last thurs at 5.5weeks & dr saw heartbeat but my progesterone levels were low.  Im scared I may be mc bc I don't feel pregnant at all.... I feel alone as my partner doesn't know how 2 b supportive.. says I get all crazy...
I have been in a situtation similar to that. i had my first miscarriage at 4.5 months with twin boys in june of 08. April of 12 i had my second miscarriage. it does feel like someone rips out your heart but remember your not alone.
I am 10 weeks tomorrow i went to the er on sunday because of spotting and brow discharge the ultrasound at the er showed baby was in place and the pelvic exam showed my cervix was closed i am still having a lil discharge today and i went in to see my dr he said it was normal but to ease my mind i am going in for a ultrasound tomorrow to see whats going on i already had a ultrasound at (7 weeks is wheir they thought i was) but ultrasound showed  5 weeks because i was on birth control and they wanted to see how far along i was . I will post tomorrow what the ultrasound shows...oh btw this is baby number 4 for me