Maternal & Child Community
misscarige please help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

misscarige please help

I was wondering if anyone has lost a baby around 5 months if they had gotten pregnant and how long after. I am so scared to try for another one and lose it. It was devistating the last time. I really could hear some insperational stories. Please Help.
I had a friend that miscarried last December 2001...and she did get pregnant again a few months later and delivered a bouncing healthy baby boy.  Good luck to you and don't loose hope, anything is possible....
Thanks, we have been trying and Ithink my worries about losing another one is keeping us from getting pregnant. It was a awful ordeal. But hopefully we will soon be sucessful.
Hi Jami, I am so sorry for your loss. Did they give you an explanation for you miscarriage? I guess a lot would depend on that. I did want to tell you that my sister also lost a baby at 5 months. They called it a Missed Misscariage. She was very devistated of coarse, but already had one son and then went on to have 2 more kids. Best wishes for you and your future crew! ;>}

Karen(mother of 3)
Thanks, I want another one but am a little scare to. All I can do is hope for the best. I never did find out exacually what happened they said they would run test and let me know but I never did hear from anyone.
My sister carried full term and when she was delivering they could not find a heart beat (even though there was a heart beat a week ago)...

The baby was still born.  Many tests and an autopsy were conducted, but there was never any conclusions.

Sometimes there are no answers.

Keep your faith and try again.  One year after this incident, my sister gave birth to her daughter and since another son was born.  She has two wonderful children.
I am so sorry for your loss I know how painful this is because I lost a baby boy at 5 months.  I was diagnosed with an incompetent cervix, so my cervix dilated early without labor and part of the amniotic sac came out.  The baby was still fine but after 3 days in the hospital and the risk of infection, the Drs decided to try surgical intervention and my water broke and then I miscarried.  I was determined to try again and after 6 months of waiting for my cervix to heal, I was pregnant again.  Scared out of my mind, but I was monitored every week from 5 wks. They did a cerclage(stitching my cervix closed)twice- at 9wks and then redone at 21 weeks) and bed rest and our beautiful daughter was born at 39 weeks.

I can't say what happened with your pregnancy, but because you have lost a baby, the Dr's should be watching any future pregnancy closely to avoid any more miscarriages and consider your pregnancies "high risk". Have them do internal exams and/or ultrasounds frequently to monitor your cervix, if they believe that you dilated prematurely.

We call Olivia(she's now 5yrs old) our miracle baby and she is a JOY!!! We are blessed and so glad we tried again..

Good luck and I'll be praying for you......Anne

Dear Jami,I know just how devastating your loss is to you.I also lost a baby at 5 months.and really no one else knows how deeply it hurts if they haven't experienced it.It really isn't the same thing at all as losing a baby at 6-8 weeks ( I've had that happen a couple of times too)with the early losses, I felt dissappointed and a bit teary eyed for a few days, but got over it much easier than the later loss. With that one,after getting through the initial event and crying myself to sleep for a couple of weeks, although I put on a cheery face and went through the motions of daily tasks and life (caring for 3 young children and doing daycare)I felt depressed and alone at night.My husband couln't help me(although he tried)and my family(parents & siblings)just didn't understand the depth of grief that I felt.They felt I needed to just be grateful for the children I had and to get over it and move on.But I just couldn't.Finally after 7 months, I went to see a family counselor because my marriage was being affected, and it made a world of difference.My marriage got back on track,but I was still sad.

I think that because I had no pictures or memories to hold onto, I was holding on to my grief so I wouldn't forget that child.Then I decided to write down every detail of that pregnancy that I could recall(including every emotion) as somewhat of a tribute to that child.I then folded the pages up and put them in an envelope, tucking them away in a drawer.Then I allowed myself to stop carrying it around all the time, knowing that it was all written down,I didn't have to worry about remembering it.(if that makes any sense)

Although it took about one year to work through all of that,I don't think that it's something you ever "get over", the experience just becomes a part of you are...just like having brown hair or blue eyes.It just becomes a part of you.The grief does subside, but you keep the memory in your heart. And it enables you to know how to help others who go through it too.

That was 15 years ago!I was later blessed with 3 more children for a total of 6 boys!!! You just never know what surprises God has in store for your life!

So I offer you my heartfelt condolences,and will say a prayer that you will find comfort in knowing that you WILL be blessed with joyful days in the future, that you just can't imagine right now.Just give yourself lots of time and don't get upset with all the well-meaning people who will inevitably say the wrong thing.