Maternal & Child Community
my 5 week old is constipated!!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

my 5 week old is constipated!!!!!

My 5 week old is constipated I have taken him to his pediatrician and they told me to give him apple juice, tried it and it helped only a little but he still struggles to have a BM, so i took him back to the doctor and they recomended Kyro Syrup. I am still not seeing any improvement! he's BM are getting hard again! I have not tried prune juice. Is it safe to give him a little and if so,... how should i go about it?
We mixed in pear juice in with my son's milk and it helped.  Also - after it had been SEVERAL days we gave him (under the care of our dr) a glycerine suppository. He was about 2 months the first time we had to do this.  We did it a few times but now that he's not nursing anymore and is on whole milk - he's doing better with his bowel habits!
yes i had my baby contisipated in 3to 4 weeks period .they told me to give him 1 oz not more or less between feedings ..and it worked a little and they told me to give prune juice unsweetened (no sugar) 1 oz between feedings it worked as a majec ..it really worked but make sure he is not missing any feedings...
the pedi told me to give him a teaspoon of corn syrup for a third choice but the prune juice is very good and resolved...after that he got constipated may be around 4 months...so dont worry ./...i know how heart breaking is to see the baby in pain...but it will stop...
if this thing is continuing over two weeks period u will have to consider to change the formula(if not b.feeding)
but the prune will work post us
good luck
congratulation on ur new bundle of joy
Have you asked your doctor about trying a lower iron formula? Are you sure you are not adding too much powder? Sometimes that can cause it as well.
When Jacob was two weeks old he was quite constipated--his ped told me to do 1-2 tsp of prune juice to 2 oz of water or formula. It worked within a couple days. And he is 7 weeks now and hasnt been constipated since.

You also can do the glycerin suppositories--BUT the issue with them is you dont want him to become dependant on them to be able to poop every time. SO they should only be used when all else is failing and they are in pain and youve just GOT to get it out.
are you breastfeeding? It's quite normal for breastfeed babies to go without a stool for days