Maternal & Child Community
my infant is throwing up her formula at 2 weeks old.....any suggestions...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

my infant is throwing up her formula at 2 weeks old.....any suggestions please???

My infant is 2 weeks old, I had her on june 20, 2007....While I was in the hospital I tried breastfeeding her but I couldnt get  her to latch on properly so now im on formula milk, First I tried Enfamil with Iron and she kept throwing that formula up as well, So her doctor switched her to ( Similac Advance )....and she was only eating 1 ounce in the hospital, Then I get home and all hell breaks loose...She is constantly throwing up the formula everytime  I feed her....and  I mean forceful throwing up meaning it gets all over the both of us...I took her to the doctor and he said I was feeding her to much...He told me to cut down to 1 OR 2 ounces only...But I have tried that and shes not sleeping through the nite...she is up at all hours at nite, And I think its partly because her sleeping schedule is off and now im having to cut her down from 3 ounces to 1 OR 2 ounces of formula and  she isnt getting enough to eat in order to go to sleep and she crying and when she does go to sleep, she only sleeps maybe 1 or 2 hours....sometimes not even that long and then shes crying more and needing more to eat.
I feel like the doctor should change her formula is my own opinion...or maybe she has a bug...I have been told that this is normal for infants  to do this, Im confused, worried, Im not sure what else  to do for my baby that is so  helpless and that depends on me to care for her........ANY SUGGESTIONS????
Babies are not meant to sleep more than 2 hours or so at a time when they are newborns. Overfeeding will only make matters worse as you have seen. That is all part of being a mom, waking up as necessary to feed your little one.
does she seem gassy??  when she spits up is it curtled??  How big was she at first??  I've had this probelm before and it could be many things.  1. you could be over feeding her 2. she could have colic from the extra iron in the formula 3. she could eb sensitive to the milk in the formula and need soy (which is what all my kids get) 4. she could sense that as a new mom you are nervous and apprehensive, making her nervous and apprehensive.  all babies are different.  babies should be going 3-4 hours w/o having to be fed again but only if they are larger.  remember ask for help from family maybe you need a good nights sleep to offer you baby the best.  They are not born with manuals its all trial and error,  remember she knows you love her relax.  and I hope the options helped..      
You might need to change formal again or even try a breast pump.
I know my friend's little girl was the same way til they took her off the extra iron kind. Good luck!
She is gassy, but when  she throws up its not curtled and she came into this world weighing 8.4 pounds....Since I couldnt breastfeed, I decided to bind myself cause my breast were in to much pain. So Im  strictly formula feeding now...
When my daughter was an infant (she's 2 now) she was spitting up pretty much every formula out there and was crying ALOT!!! It turned out that she had acid reflux (which can cause a colic infant), they had put her on Zantac to ease the pain she was experiencing with the formula coming up all the time (it helped alot!). Her doctor then told me to feed her the Enfamil A.R. formula. It does contain cereal, but she was keeping it down with occasional spitting up (plus she slept longer too....more filling). She would still spit up some, but no where near what she had been doing.

I would also recommend the Dr. Brown bottles, they truly do work!!! All the other bottles I tried were useless (just my opinion) for an infant constantly spitting up.

My daughter's doctor says that most infants grow out of the reflux problem anywhere from 9 months to a year. My daughter stopped her excessive spitting up between 9 and 10 months.

I hope this helps some. Good luck.....you will get through it!! Also if her doctor doesn't seem to come up with a solution, you might want to check out another pediatrician and see what they have to say. I just could not stand to see my daughter soooo miserable.....

Oh....and if you try her on the Enfamil A.R. formula it does not come in the big cans like Similac or Enfamil which is the crummy thing, but my daughter was on it for about 8 to 9 months before I put her on Similac and she did fine then.

Sorry to keep babbling.