Maternal & Child Community
my teeth hurt!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

my teeth hurt!

Does anyone else have a dull ache or pain in their teeth and gums while pregnant!  It's annoying and hurts all the time!  Any suggestions?
I am 16 weeks along - although I never had a problem with  my teeth or gums I did read it in one of my books that around this time is when I may see bleeding of the gums and sensitivity.  So I guess it is normal.  Drink Milk, Eat Tums - Baby is taking your calcium.
Your gums can really take a beating during pregnancy...they may begin to bleed after you brush, but I've never heard of teeth hurting. You could possiby have a cavity or something like that, or maybe your teeth have just become more sensitive.  You could try toothpaste for sensitive teeth.
My gums are sensative when I brush but my teeth don't hurt.
How well are you sleeping at night? Sometimes if you are not sleeping well or stressed you could be grinding your teeth at night.
That can make your teeth hurt and feel real sore.
Are ya takin your vitamins?
It's more along the gum line that hurts than the actual teeth, and because I keep rubbing it with my tongue, I think I'm making it more sensitive than it is.  Of course I take my vitamins - its the only thing I CAN take!  LOL
Be glad you live in a developed country. My grandma, who grew up in Iraq, complained to her Dr. that her teeth hurt all the time when she was pregnant, and when she had her period. He pulled them all out, and she's had dentures since she was a very young woman.
My gums bleed and my teeth ache.  Very normal.  Had it with all pregnancies.  Even though I keep up with good dental hygeine I ended up with 14 cavities after my 2nd child - LOL

Because the baby is drawing so much calcium from your body your teeth get left out.  I can't count how many people I know who had trouble with their gums/teeth while pregnant. Also, hormone changes and increased blood flow is what causes the bleeding gums I was told.  Its very common.  Not so common to get 14 cavities though :(
Hi, call your dentist ASAP and tell them what is happening, they might want to see you or they might prescribe you a painkiller that you can pick up at the drugstore.
hi i just got fillings and i have a lot of pain please write back my teeth are killing me
Before I even knew I was pregnant, my teeth had become so sensitive that just the air hitting them when talking made them hurt. It has not stopped. I had a dental check up the next week (as I didn't know I was pregnant yet) and I have no cavities. I have been taking prenatal vitamins for a month prior to trying to conceive and continue to take them religiously. I don't grind my teeth at night, and I don't have a whole lot of fillings. I am now 12 weeks pregnant, and my teeth are still ultra-sensitive! I don't know what else to do.