Maternal & Child Community
narcotics while pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

narcotics while pregnant

Hi, I am currently 17 weeks pregnant and have been taking pain killers, specifically oxycodone, the whole time so far.  I know this sounds horrible so let me explain alittle...  I have been on narcotics now for 3 and 1/2 years for lower abdomonal pain.  I have real pain but have developed a chemical dependency on them as well.  I am so scared, this pregnancy was unplanned and I just recently decided to keep the baby.  I see a high risk ob soon and I hope he can give me some reassurance that my baby is going to be okay.  I just wandered if anyone else has been in this situation or knows anyone who has?  Any kind of information regarding this matter is greatly appreciated.  I have talked to a few doctors and nurses that reasurred me everything would be okay, which ultimately changed my decision to go through with this pregnancy.  However, I have found through my own research on the internet so many different opinions on this topic and I don't know which websites are reliable.  Anything helps!  Thank you!
That is simply NOT TRUE and for them to scare you like that is just plain cruel.
There are no adequate studies showing that those medications cause birth defects at all.
If the mother is in severe pain it puts a lot of stress on the fetus.
Of course, no medication at all is the best way to be but if you need it you need it.
The main ingredient in those medications is acetaminophen which is the mail ingredient in tylenol.
Please don't stress out over this.  I'm sure everything will be fine.
I had an extremely high risk pregnancy and both my regular ob/gyn and my specialist who is award winning here in NY prescribed the meds for me.  I trusted them.
Stop if you can but don't worry so much.
There is no possible way a doctor can make a statement like your baby will only have an IQ of 80 if you don't stop taking narcotics.

There are issues, to be sure. Your high risk OB should have proper answers for you. It's not ideal to be on narcotics, and even methadone can be associated with problems.  But people certainly have been on these drugs and had healthy babies.  It can be done, and don't listen to a doctor who tells you something ridiculous like what IQ your baby will have.
I agree, as long as the Dr's know, and you are taking as prescribed there should be no problems. Also like girlybuff said, there could be a problem after the baby is born, due to withdrawal, so try not to take them as delivery approaches, i know it's hard, even if you cant quit all together, at least cut back. I never took narcotics during my pregnancies, but i have taken them for a few medical problems, and i know how easily you can become dependant on them. Good luck sweetheart
It can be hard to quit all togeather.  Try to cut back a little, and talk with your doctor.  I was depended on narcotics after my car accident in Dec. - not pregnant though.  It took a lot for me to get off them.  Your not a bad person and take heart you will get through this, just seek a doctors help.
girlybuff,  Thank you so much for your quick response!  This is so nerve racking.  My obgyn told me my baby WILL come out mentally challenged with an IQ around 80 if I do not get off the medication before the 3rd trimester. The word "WILL" in that statement has made me very stressed out!  So the high risk OB I am going to see is known for putting patients like myself on methadone.  My pain is just so bad since I already had pre-existing abdomonal pain and I cannot just quit taking my medicine.  I have been on a number of different pain medicine for these 4 months and I'm terrified!  Thanks so much for some reassurance!
I found this on a website.  This drug is a Class C, which means it is not known if it can cause harm - here is what I found:

Pregnancy, Pregnancy Category C

Teratogenic Effects: Animal reproductive studies have not been conducted with acetaminophen; oxycodone HCl. It is also not known whether acetaminophen; oxycodone HCl can cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman or can affect reproductive capacity. Acetaminophen; oxycodone HCl should not be given to a pregnant woman unless in the judgment of the physician, the potential benefits outweigh the possible hazards.

I take a Class C med. also, but I have to because I am bi-polor.  It would do more harm for me to stop the med then take it.
Here is another thing for you

"PREGNANCY: There is very little information about the effects of oxycodone on the fetus. Physicians may use oxycodone in pregnant women it if its benefits are deemed to outweigh its potential and unknown risks."

Your doctor should have not told you that you baby will come out abnormal - it is not known!!  He should have known better.

Thanks to all of you!  This means so much to me you have no idea!  I have been doing research on this for 2 weeks now looking for some kind of reassurance and all of you have lifted so much stress off my shoulders.  I just called my boyfriend crying!  Thanks so much!
you see :-)  some doctors like to scare people - get another doctor
Before you decide to switch from oxycodone to methadone do a little research on methadone and getting off of it.  Methadone is usually given to help heroin and opium addicts get off of those drugs but most people can never get off methadone.  I have read accounts of doctors who say they have never had a patient once on methadone able to get off of it.  I personally know someone who has tried this and never came off of it as well.  Do your research and talk to your doctor about other options..if there are any.
I found this on a website.  A lady asked a doctor a question about taking methadone, this is what he said quote

"Babies born to women on methadone go through withdrawal after birth, just like babies born to women on heroin. It also isn't good to stop heroin (or methadone) during pregnancy, since the baby goes through withdrawal inside you--where you can't do much to take care of him. Now that you are off of it, the baby should be fine, but going on and off heroin or methadone in pregnancy is unhealthy for you and for your baby."

It would be better to do the narcotics!!

Have you checked out safefetus.com?
Oxycodone (oxycontin) is a category B but after using for prolonged periods it could be considered a category D....thus the reason the high risk Dr changes your medication. Same thing for Methadose (methadone) and morphine.  But as long as your Dr knows what your taking then it should be fine.  I would trust the high risk dr over the OB you have now.  
Most likely when your baby is born the reaction may be a little slower, like a baby born to a mother who has had demerol instead of an epidural.  There may be withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms after your baby is born, since these meds are excreted into breast milk you may definately want to consider bottle feeding and the high risk dr may tell you that.  That way you go ahead and get the meds out of the babys system after she/he is born.
Thank you for the info on methadones.  I have done alittle research myself on this drug and have found mixed information.  I just wish all doctors could agree on something.  I would love to see some case studies done on all of these drugs but there just isn't any available. I have an extremely high tolerence for narcotics and my concern is to find one that I do not have to take an extreme amount of.  I have always refused methadone to other doctors because my ex boyfriends mother died after a doctor perscribed it to her (she was only 48).  So I am already very concerned about going on it myself.  I really appreciate your time and research put into this.
Has anyone found out why you have such severe lower abdominal pain? It seems that is the reason you need the painkiller to start with--anything they can do?
hi everyone....
this is regarding methadone and pregnancy......
my sister was a herion addit for many years, when she got pregnant she got help and was put on methadone throughout her pregnancy, she delivered a 6pound healthy girl, in about the 3months after delivery, she decided that her baby meant more to her and started lowering her dose, eventually she did get of of menthadone and has been clean for 16years...so yes it is possible to not be dependent, you just got to want it...thank you for letting share my story, didnt realize how proud i am of my sister..
lorraine
It is a class B and not C.  I had looked u old information here is the link to where you can find it on safe fetus

http://www.safefetus.com/fda_category.asp
I just would like to let you know my history; I am a recovering addict to both cocaine and heroin.  I was 3 years clean when I got pregnant with my 2nd daughter.  (Also did not use with my first daughter) I was became addicted later in life than most people expect (Late 20's)  I did not go on methadone and I don't judge anyone who doe it nor do I recommend it.  Methadone is also a narcotic just like oxycodone but without the tylenol.  There are two new drugs but I am not sure about taking them while pregnant that are suppose to help people with addiction to opiates (ie. heroin, methadone, pain  pills, etc.) Its called Subutex and the other one uggh I cant remember but it you "google" Subutex it will come up also.  I have heard really good things about them.  

Also when I was preg with my 2nd daughter, I had surgery at 24 weeks and was in the hospital and put on a pain pump of Dilauid and then sent home with a prescription for Oxycodone.  I also then got Pancreatitis and was again hospitalized and again a pain pump and once again pain pills.  My doctors were aware of my history of addiction and monitored me very closely.  The day I delivered my daughter I was on a pain pump up to about 2 hours before the scheduled C-Section and guess what?  She was okay.  The hospital of course tested her for drugs in her system and to my surprise they came back negative even though I was on narcotics.  My doctor explained that babies are amazing and her body just metabolized it up fast.  

I was very honest with my doctor and my husband about my addiction.  I had them watch me and I did sometimes get "carried away" with the pills a few days (take more than I should).  At that point, I had to go to NA meeting, talked with God, ETC.  If you can try to stop please do so but do with a doctor through a tapering down period.  If you can't please try be honest with you doctor and yourself to keep you and baby safe!!!!!

BEST WISHES LOVE

Hi I just wanted to reassure you that you are not alone. I am 29 years old and also pregnant with a due date of December 21 2006. This is my 2nd child I did not plan to have anymore but it happened and so far my pregnancy has gone great. I have chronic back and leg pain and a spinal cord stimulator in my back. I have been on every pain med out there including oxycontin, ms contin, duragesic patches etc. I am presently taking methadone every 8 hours for break thru pain and I also take a very high dose of Avinza which is a newer pain med. It is a time released morphine and is suppose to last 24 hours. I was taking both of these plus some other meds when I found out I was pregnant and I was totally freaking out, but my doctor has reassured me that these drugs are safe to use in pregnancy. I have searched the internet high and low and have worried throughout my whole pregnancy and probably will until the day I deliver but so far I have a perfectly healthy baby girl growing inside me. I was told it would be much more dangerous for me to stop the meds than to keep right on taking them and my OB says the baby is protected from alot of stuff and the baby will probably go thru withdrawals at birth but she says not to worry about anything else as long as you are having prenatal care and being watched closely and as she told me look at all the crack addicts and other drug addicts out there that have perfectly healthy babies everyday yet some other people do everything they are told and still have babies born with something wrong. My doctor told me it was time to trust the medical professionals and let them do their job-and although I am not a real religious person I am trusting that god is watching over this baby and that everything will be fine. So you know your not alone feel free to email me if you need someone to talk too! Take care and good luck I am sure the baby will be fine!!
Were you guys on pain medication while you conceived your child?  I was just wondering if you are easily able to conceive a child while on a low dosage of pain medication or does it reduce your chances of becoming pregnant or reduce your fertility?
I have had 2 methadone babies age 7 & 3. I went into treatment when I found out I was pregnant with my 7 year old child. My doctors were very adament about not detoxing during pregnancy.It can cause the death of your child or early delivery.  I delivered 2 beautiful healthy girls both weighed over 7 pounds. None had any withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms and are very smart kids. My dose was 50mg for both and against lots of advise I got, I never increased my dose during pregnancy. Also new studies in 2003 by the American Pediatric Association  and numerous other studies have found out breast feeding is safe while on a methadone program.It showed methadone levels is not high in breast milk. I have also been off methadone for 2 years, and have not relapsed. I suggest doing some more research online and contacting a drug treatment program for pregnant women. They can probably provide you with more updated information. Good Luck with the baby! Everything will work out.
i am in the same boat i am on ir 15 ocycodone and i have been really scared also and thank you all for the advice because ive been trying to find some on the internet and had no luck untill i fell on this page thank you all.
I've recently discovered that I'm in the same boat.  Been on oxycodone, among other meds, for quite some time now due to severe back and leg pain.  My husband and I were very careful to always use protection but somehow... I'm pregnant.

I phoned my pain management Dr. as soon as I found out and to my surprise, she told me to immediately stop everything.  "Cold turkey."  Needless to say, the past few days have been very uncomfortable for me.  

I planned on weaning myself off of the meds gradually but my Dr. put such a start in me the way she spoke on the phone.  Reading some of the other posts here, I think I'll do a little more research before I put myself, the baby and everyone else around me through any more hell.
Thanks everyone im 30 weeks pregnant and thru out my whole pregnancy ive taken oxycodone.Some docs say its fine others say no no no!! I've had all types of test done to reasure my babys health and shes  perfectly healthly.Im due in november and will keep everyone up dated.
did either of you have your babies?  and were they born ok?  I see this is a few months old, but im dealing with similar issues and would really like to find out how things went for you. Thanks
hi i am 4 1/2 months preg. and im addicted to oxycoten for a while now me and my husband are very scared that something wil happen to are baby but all of this has hellped us with te stress it has caused i really would like to here on how all of the babies come out. i will keep everyone on page updated on how my birth goes im due may 8th 2009 and i am hopeing for a very healthy baby boy once again thank u for all the help have a wonderfull pregnecy everyone good luck god bless keep praying cuz im praying for al of us.....
THANKYOU TO EVERYONE FOR ALL THE HONESTY WITH THE COMMENTS! IM 19 WEEKS, AND HAVE BEEN ON PAIN MEDICATION MY WHOLE PREGNANCY, NORCO, MS COTIN, PERCOCET, AND HAVE BEEN FREAKING OUT. I FEEL LIKE IM THE ONLY ONE GOING THROUGH ALL THIS, BUT NOW I KNOW ALOT HAVE GONE BEFORE ME, AND I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER! IM DUE 6/5/09. I HAD HOPED MY BACK WOULD HOLD UP, BUT IT DIDNT

THANKS AGAIN  TO EVERYONE :)
I was put on Oxycodone during my second pregnancy being told that this was the safest medication for my baby during pregnancy and nursing. I had a difficult time with the pregnancy but my daughter actually has a 181 IQ and was asked to be the youngest ever member of Mensa. I nursed her for 2 years and when I told her that it was time to stop nursing she never asked for it ever again (NOT ONCE!).

Dr.'s love to scare us about narcotics because narcotics scare them. My best advice to you is to do what is necessary for you and your child. Of course the best thing is no medication at all but sometimes that's not possible. Methadone is also another choice for pregnant and nursing moms.

Amanda in Florida
I have cronic (chronic) pain from tumors on my spine and I am 10weeks pregnant a.nd been on percocet, fiorocet, and soma for 4 years, I need my meds I can't take the pain so the thought of stoping something that seems in possible. Most of the time I take more than prescibed. I want to keep my baby but the thought of getting rid of it seems impossible also. Please I need some advise....                              by.    vegaschic!!
Well i was reading some of the comments about methadone I myself was hooked on oxyctone and perc`s when i wantted to get off these meds my Doctor told me about methadone that it would be the easyest way which is not TRUE. I was on methadone for appoximently a year or more and I will say that it is the worst drug to get off of... But if u have the will and the courge in ur mind u CAN become FREE of this Drug Methadone should only be given to those who are herion addits. I was on a dose of 120 mls a day and i was a zombie i slepted for 12 to 14 hours a day and couldnt hold down a job i soon realized that i didnt want this life being hooked on methadone and my doctor telling me when i could go on vactions or not, I then told my Meth doctor that i wantted to get off of it and he told me that i wouldnt be able to. I soon proved him wrong, I went down about 5 mls a week until i was at 20 mls my doctor then told me i would be on this dose for a year or more due to the withdraw sysptoms which i felt he was wrong way wrong my withdraw sysptoms were the worst at the 100 to 70 mls I told my Doctor i was going to get off it no matter what and sooner then a year i found the less i took the more i got high on it, as i was saying above that they told me that at 20 mls was the worst time to go cold turkey he told me i would be in the hospital in days of me refusing it. IT is all MIND OVER MATTER with this drug I Went off methadone at 20 mls and didnt go to the hospital i was fine I was finely happy in life. All i will say is that METHADONE is a terrible drug which puts u in a state of life that only heroin addits should go threw for it as it is better then heroin but not for people with only pain.
Just thought i would give the people that are on methadone some hope that u CAN get off it IF U WANT TO JUST BELIEVE IN YOURSELF AND U WILL SUCCED.
Once hooked on methadone NOW FREE FROM IT
Danielle FSJ
Hello! I'm 19 and i have three beautiful girls 2, 3, and 5. All to which I was addicted to meth. (still am!) So I dont know what the big fuss is!

Good luck!
Hi, my name is Krystin and i'm 26 weeks pregnant and on 10mg oxycodone 4 times a day. I was going to ween off next month to give the baby a month to recover from the medication. I went to see a pediatrition yesterday who informed me that getting off the medication is the worst thing for the baby. First off the baby feels my pain, and my stress. Second off, without the withdrawl (withdrawal) meds he will have his own pain as well. I then started crying and was mad at myself for not getting off the medicine as soon as I found out that the was carrying. The doctor then informed me then had i done that the baby would have most likely aborted hisself. So worse case, we'll have to stay in the hospital for 20 days at which time they will provide me with a room and encourage breast feeding. My advice to all of you with questions of this nature is to talk to your OB-GYN about getting a consultation with a pediatrition. They are baby doctors and know better then anyone else. I hope this was helpful.
Hi im a 28 yr old mum, have suffered chronic back and leg pain and am due to get a spinal cord stimulator put in sept/oct, however I have just found out that we are expecting, myself and my husband had been tryin for almost 2yrs, and nothing has happened until then. Does anyone know whether a spinal cord stimulator can be placed whilst a woman is pregnant ?
hello im about 5 months prgo and im on oxycodone and my mom freaks out over alot of stuff im 21 and been on them for a year i have really bad lower back pain and neck and my right shoulder are all very bad in pain.i just wanna kno am i ok to tell my doc that im perscriped oxycodone and i know its bad to stop taking it cuz it could hurt the baby more.so is my baby going to be ok?
Tell the ob. Narcotics, whether prescribed or not, are not good for a developing baby. Let the ob know and s/he will be able to help you with what to do.
I just found out I'm pregnant and have been taking pain meds for two herniated disc. I just wanted to see if you have had your baby and if everything is okay. I also wanted to know if you continued to take your pain medication. I'm about six weeks and I'm scared to death I'm going to hurt my baby. I didn't think I would be able to get pregnant again.
Would love some feedback please
I know I'm not the person you asked, but I needed to chip in because I hope you read this soon and don't spend too much time stressing out.

It's true, medicine of any sort is not ideal to take while pregnant, and it's also true that there is no way to predict 100% what sort of effect narcotic pain medicine will have on your unborn child...however...

I had to take pain medicine during both pregnancies (for headaches and then later kidney stones with my daughter and for headaches and a lower back injury while pregnant with my son)....my OB prescribed the meds in both cases, they did extra ultrasounds, monitored my dose and health, and both of my children were both healthy, happy, and full-term. my daughter is about to turn 2-years-old and she can speak in 6-word sentences, and is tall and active for her age....of course delays don't always show up by this point but her pediatrician says that she's very far ahead verbally and socially. my son is 2 months old and has shown NO ill effects so far.

Neither of my children were born with withdrawals either because I was careful to communicate with my OB and they monitored me going up to delivery.

the most important thing to realize about  medications while pregnant is that you need to be honest with your OB. you need to communicate with them.

also,...obviously, take as little medicine AS POSSIBLE (sometimes that means quite a lot, because pain is NOT GOOD for the baby either in large amounts)....and make sure your OB knows about everything going on with you.

you do NOT want to quit cold turkey. the best thing to do is to talk to your OB...tell them your fears, and make a pain management plan for your pregnancy.

there is a girl on the Pain Management Forum who is currently pregnant and taking pain medicine...her name is JadedSweetheart and you may want to message her for experiences that she's had..and I'm happy to talk to you as well if you're interested.

just please remember that a healthy baby requires a healthy mom...and sometimes that means treating the pain with narcotics...your OB will help you make a healthy decision.

best of luck.
Im 8 weeks pregnant an i went to the er yesterday cause ive been haveing bad headachs an they come with dizzy spells this is my fourth child i have two liveing an this pregnancy is kicking my butt when i went to the er the gave me morphine i hope it doesnt hurt the baby but the drs know what there doing right some anyways
wow!! This world is full of terrible mothers making up excuses to take narcotics! I'm sure your mothers had back pain as well but I dont think they were taking synthetic heroine and on forums looking to make themselves feel better about poisoning their fetus.So you have a herniated disk or disk degineration big ******* DEAL! Every one does!! I've never been in an accident and I have a fractured L5 2 burst disk and a herniated disk! ITS ALL A BIG SCAM!! STOP MAKING EXCUSES YOU"RE ADDICTED!!!!!!!!!!!
who are you to say what being a bad mom and not? If a Dr and you talk about it and make sure its safe then I don't see that as being a bad mother, I found out yesterday that I am  pregnant and have been trying to kick the dumb pain med my dr put me on after I had a very big surgery and ended up being addicted. I told my dr i found I that i am pregnant and its less safe for my baby to stop cold turkey, the stress my body is going threw could kill my child, so whats being a good mom? Stop taking these meds and chance a miscarriage? Or slowly getting off of them? You need to stop judging so much.
i just had a minor surgery an im takn dis prescription medicine called oxycod an i kind of thnk im pregnant since i have been takn dis medicine i have been sick 2 mi stomache wat should i do an is it safe 4 mi baby
I am 11 weeks pregnant and I take aout 45mg of Oxycodone everyday.  After reading these posts I do feel somewhat better about taking the meds but I desperately want to get off of them.  Does anyone have any suggestions on tapering down?  I can handle going cold turkey but I don't want my unborn baby to stress and possibly die.  I freak out every time I take my meds, I cry, I think I'm hurting my baby and the worst part is since I can't feel baby moving yet then I think I've killed him!  HELP someone please!  I'm just driving myself nuts!  I want to taper down and any suggestions as to how to do so would be much appreciated!
I get kidney stones, ovarian cysts, and constanly have lower abdominal pain.  I have been dealing with this for years.  Still NOT addicted to pain killers tho!  June of 2009 I had my daughter (almost 2 yrs ago)  while I was pregnant I ended up being in soo much pain that at times I couldn't even sit up by myself let alone walk. The doctor ended up perscribing me 160 percocets. As bad as I didn't want to risk taking these pills during my pregnancy.... I really had no choice unless I wanted to remain in pain. My daughter will be 2 yrs in June 2011 and she is the smartest little girl that I have ever seen.  I didn't post this story for you to think that it's ok to take pills during your pregnancy due to an addiction.  Just because my baby ended up ok doesn't mean yours will
@ Meganlizard.... if you go cold turkey the baby will feel that withdraw.  I takes a narcotic to get off of a narcotic.  Try saboxin (suboxone).  I work in a medical field ... that's how I can answer your question.  It's not because I'm an addict
im so confused. myfriend is in er 3rd trimester. shewas once perscribed percocet for kidney stones. since then shes buying oxycodone off the street, along wth xanax bars. how can this be safe. plz anyone e mail me ***@****. p.s. its twins. and he get very high!
i am about to start taking methadone because i just recently found out that i am pregnant and i use heroin, the thing i hate the most about methadone is its very hard to get off of at the withdraws are horrible i hear but i dont want anyone taking my baby from me because of my past mistakes i know i can be a great mother so im doing everything in my power to keep my baby healthy. good luck to you!!(:
Sweetie, I am familiar with oxy addiction and it alone is one of the scariest things to go through. I've been fighting it for the past 5 yrs and I just missed a period and am scared to death as well. I'm older than you and should have known better, but I'm still praying for a miracle til I take the test when I get paid to see. I'm educated, actually a teacher with a degree in psychology  and a very good person, but I have problems just like everyone does. Your doctor will probably put you on Methadone or subutex ( I have been told by people I know who work with these cases and some who have been throught it that subutex is the best is easier on mom and baby) which will help with your withdrawals and pain as well. Methadone and subutex blocks the neural receptors in your brain, the ones that cause you to feel pain, and tells them you are not hurting. I have seen many women have babies around here who were addits and got methadone or subutex treatment and the only real trouble is that the child must be slowly detoxed from the medication as well which breaks my heart to say, but it has to be done. I'm not sure how this is done or how it affects the baby, but i do know that women who are very healthy have sick babies all the time and women who are addicted to drugs have healthy babies All you can do is try to get healthy and do the best you can. People always want to place blame on someone when they have no idea what they are talking about, but there is no 100% chance of healthy when one is dealing with pregnancy. I do know that you care bc you are here and want help. Just whatever you do don't wait to make your change if you do. Oh and remember doctors are only human some are good, some are bad. You must use your common sense and woman's intuition in finding a good one. Some doctors are idiots. I know I'm writing a lot, but  I've been thinking about this since I have been trying to decide what to do if I am. You simply MUST do everything the doctor says and once on methadone or subutex stick with it. I'm not sure how it is where you are, but it's highly regulated in clinics here, and the pregnant girls at the clinic had to attend extra therapy group sessions which I'm sure are beneficial. Being able to have someone to talk to who understands what you are going through it always a good thing and having support. I wish you the best. You are VERY brave to be having a baby under the circumstances. All things will work out if you keep hope and don't let it get you down. No on can understand what you are going through if they haven't been addicted to oxycodone before and gotten pregnant. It is the toughest habit. I am rooting for you to kick the pain meds and be a wonderful mommy! If you have something which calls for pain meds and you really do NEED them then Methadone and subutex are often presrcibed now in place of opiates. It sounds like you are on the right path. Oh just so you know if you read this far :) . The meds above I told you about take away all your wd symptoms and cravings and makes you feel good. So, don't be scared it won't work. Best of luck with your new baby!
Omg Thank you! That is a wonderful story1 It gives many of us hope. thank you :)
The child is born with an addiction and has to be medically brought off the meds and if one is not prescribed the meds then the Child protective services do get involved so it is best to get help and do what one must to protect their child and oneself.
All of you are weak minded and just thinking of yourselves. You dont even want to give a fetus a chance of a healthy start. basically its the Dr. allowing the prescribing of the med thats taking the risk because you 'the mother" will be trying to sue if your baby comes out with any type of defects blaming him for your inability to withhold from your addictions. Plain and simple!
wow know it all you are an ignorant uncompassionate person. in case you didnt know addiction is a disease and is not a matter of willpower, do you honestly believe that addicted women would stop if they had enough "willpower" to stop, it is a physical and mental disease and has nothing to do with will power or morals, i am pregnant now and i am a recovered opiate addict, i am not currently on opiates but i have hepatitis C as a result from my  drug use and i was wondering what measures i can take to make sure my baby can be healthy considering the hepatitis C? any advice?:
Spoken like a truly ignorant THINKS she's a know it all. You can't put every single person on oxycodone or methadone under the same category. Every person is different, every medical history, etc. There is a reason the FDA allows medications like oxycodone and methadone. I am a mother of 2, my first was born while I was on methadone 40mg, and not only was he totally healthy, his APGAR scores were 9, then 10. He is now in middle school, a straight A student, and in advanced classes.

To those actually looking for information: Of course if everyone had the perfect life, we wouldn't want to be on meds and having a baby, but this is not a perfect world. The important thing is to be honest with both your OB and your regular doctor. I am now pregnant with my 3rd child, and have been back in pain mngmt  for over 2 years. I was worried about the cariety of meds I'm on, as well as the fact I have grave's disease, but I had my first appt today, and although I will continue to see him, I will also be seing a perinatal high risk specialist. I will get more ultrasounds as well as extra blood tests, and everything will be monitored. Any doctor with knowledgeof these situations will tell you  DO NOT STOP COLD TURKEY - that is MUCH worse than a very slow taper. I was telling my doc that I planned on taking as little medication as possible, and he actually informed me that some women have to increase their dose due to metabolism changes. There are many, many factors that determine a healthy baby. There are more babies born with defects that occur during labor gone bad, umbillical cords around the neck, incompetant doctors not doing a timely c section, and un-avoidable things like chromosomal abnormalities than babies born with any permanent effect from medicine a mother is taking while pregnant! WD is possible of course, and usually a 5 day quick morphine taper works perfectly. My son that was born while I was on 40 mg methadone didn't even need to do that. They have a scoring sheet for WDs, and my son scored so low (you want to have low numbers on that score lol) that it was almost impossible to tell if he even had WDs....he was taking 3 extra breaths per minute than normal (just 3), and wanted to be fed every 2 - 3 hours, so was waking up every 2-3 hours. When he cried, he stopped the second he was held.....

Hope that reassures some of you, and just remember we are all different, and just do the best you can!
You are right about that. But let me just say I take methadone and have
Been for the past 10 years. No I was never on heroin I take it for chronic
Pain. I am greatful for methadone because now I can do the things that
That were impossible before because I was in so much pain. I also know that a lot of drug addicts get their lives back when on methadone. They are able to  work and live normal lives. For me it was a God send. And I know women have had healthy babies while on methadone. Goodluck!