Maternal & Child Community
nealry 12 weeks pregnant and spotting after sex!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi everyone i havent posted in a while. im 11w3d and feel really fat and horrible!
since i was 7 weeks i have been spotting after sex when we do it in certian positions. its worried me so much after what ive read on the internet. none of it good. but i had a scan at 8 weeks and the tec said everythings where it should be, heartbeats fine etc. ive got another scan next tuesday, i'll be 12w3d and they will be messuring the fluid in the babies neck to test for downs.
but the bleedings worried me so much i don't want to have sex even tho i do. its really making things harder for me and my dh, and as hes just come round to idea of having a child i dont want to upset him!!! i was wondering if anyone could shed any light on it? has anyone had this happen? was anything wrong with the baby or them?? i want this so much after my miscarriage last year. im just happy i made it this far.
thanks to anyone who can help
em
I think its just because your cervix is very soft right now is the reason for the spotting.  I have never had this happen but have heard of women who have.  Good luck and I am sure everything is fine with your little one!!  No worries!!

BABY DUST!
Hi. I was told by my Dr. that a little bleeding after a pap smear or after sex, is normal.  It hasn't happen to me yet.  But I would mention it to your Dr. just in case.
The same thing happened with my now three year old while I was 10-12 weeks.  The doctor said that with increased blood supply to the lower portion of your body can cause a vessel to burst.  You should be fine, but you should still ask your doctor to give you a checkup to ease your mind....good luck to you!!!
Yep, very sensitive cervix due to increased blood flow was also the explanation I got. Don't worry. I was lucky my DH didn't feel comfortable with it either and didn't pressure me anymore. (I'm not saying it was easy ;-)
Congrats on the baby! I just wanted to let you know that when I was pregnant and I started spotting after sex, my doc told me I had to wait 7 days from the day I stop spotting to have sex again. It is probably just because the cervix gets so sensitive during pregnancy. Keep us posted!
babyblues,

I had the same problem with this pregnancy (my third) in the first trimester.  Our CNM said it was all ok.  I had no cramping and the spotting would cease so it wasn't a concern. The CNM explained a bit about sexual positions, etc... and penetration and how it can be the cause of spotting.  

Anyway, this pregnancy is progressing very well and 2 ultrasounds later our baby has been given the thumbs up and she's due in 2 months (still kicking like wild). I'm sure your fine :) I would definitely mention it to your OB/GYN or CNM though because they can talk to you more intimitaly about your concerns.  

Don't trust any random websites for information regarding this bleeding.  I looked up information on fetal hiccups recently (all 3 of my babies had them) and I found a site that said fetal hiccups meant something was wrong with my baby - if this was my first, I'd be horrified.  When in fact, the OB/GYN I had with my first baby told me that fetal hiccups are a sign of good brain development.  I've read more since and learned differently about the hiccups but nothing terrible like I read online.
thanks very much for your help, ive got a scan next tuesday maybe they can shed some light, i havent got another midwives app till 4 weeks but i'll go to my doctor! thanks again ladies
the only two times i have had bleeding have been EXACTLY two days after sex. i have no clue why this is happening. when i found out i was pregnant i didnt want to have sex so we abstained until the 8th week. after that i had bleeding two days after. went for ultrasound everything fine, coulndt see why i bled. went the next week at 9 weeks an everything ok, baby perfect. now at nearly 11 weeks we had sex and exactly two days after (to be more precise after a bowel movement) i had bleeding in the same amount as the first time. is it just coincidence. we havent had sex in these months except for those 2 occasions. anynone has any suggestions?
uhh i also had spotting after sex yesterday and it hurt a bit...i am almost 3 months pregnant. the blood was red yesterday but now has turned brown in color and its very very light, not heavy enough to come out onto my undies, i'm not having a miscarriage am i??? i'm so worried!
i am ten weeks pregnant and been bleeding after sex since i was seven weeks i went for a scan last week and baby is fine i think its just one of those things so not to worry to much unless the bleeding gets heavey
Oh, and I forgot to say that even though I bled/spotted up to 16 weeks I still had a healthy baby boy!!!  we had sex up to the night before he was born.  we just didnt have sex in the first trimester.  :)
This is my third pregnancy in the past 2 1/2 years.  the first one I had sex and bled a lot.  I ended up miscarrying at 8 weeks but my dr assured me that it was not because of sex.  If you are going to miscarry, it is just that, you are going to miscarry.  I got pregnant again after that and I bled again around the same time I miscarried w/ the other.  We refrained from sex and any strenuous activity.  I had sex after 12 weeks and had spotting.  I actually spotted up to 16 weeks and it was usually after trying to pooh dinky or sex.  This time around I am only 6 weeks and I am not having sex at all.  I am not putting myself through that.  My dh agrees.  We don't want to see any blood this time around and we are praying and taking it easy.  but I do agree that it is a very sensitive cervix that may be the cause of bleed.  You should always call your dr w/ any show of blood.  good luck.  
I am 14 almost 15 weeks pregnant and i started bleeding while me and my boyfriend were having sex. I thought it was a lot of blood but it stopped after about 20 to 30 minutes. has anyone had that happen to them?
I bled quite a bit after sex and I'm 8 months pregnant, the doctor and nurses didn't really tell me a whole as to why I bled when I went when I discovered, they saw that the baby was still fine etc so they sent me home.  I have another appointment on Wednesday and I'm going to ask again.  It's a smaller cIinic so I don't know if I fully trust their judgement. just thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone knows as to why that would happen.  I haven't bled after sex since the early part of my pregnancy and even then it wasn't near as heavy as it was this time.
well if the doctors say everything looks ok and the babys ok....i would go with that
I'm 7 weeks pregnant (my third), my husband and myself had sex and there was spotting afterwards. I had a miscarriage last year and am scared spitless that i'm going to miscarry this baby. I don't have an appointment with my dr until sept but  just wanted some reasurrance that everything is fine and also want to know the cause of bleeding after sex,...
I am almost 14 wks pregnant with my baby and have not had sex since I found out about the pregnancy but five days ago we did and that same night I woke up to pee only to see red blood, I freaked out and woke up DH but he was calm and told me the sex did it. When I woke up the bleeding stoped and turned brownish, few hours later again some red again went to brown. I have had  brown discharge for three days now but today I went and saw my OB, she checked from inside and cervix was closed, she cleaned some of the brown blood did ultrasound and baby looked great. I came home and an hour ago again saw some red blood so I think I just have a very soft cervix right now. She put me on bed rest because of my previous two miscarriages, and no more sex for me she said. Its true when they say you might have some bleeding after sex and internal exam cause both happened to me. Now I am just resting so my cervix can heal.
hi well i hd sex with my partner and it started hurtin but no blood. does anyone no why im 16 weeks gone thanks charl
hi all. When i was approx 20 weeks after having sex with my husband i had a massive bleed. Blood was literally everywhere. i phoned the hospital and seen my dr in emergency. After the examination my dr gave me and my baby the all clear. My dr told me that rough or vigourous sex does cause this. i went on to have a healthy baby boy. My advice is to not have sex in positions that causes deep penetation such as doggy.
I had sex last night and am 6 weeks pregnant i awoke this morning to notice bright red blood only on wiping, im not worried as i know this is nomal due to the servix being very fragile/sensitive and due to the excess blood flow. The same as when you blow your nose in pregnancy you will often find blood on it, all due to excessive blood flow due to pregnancy.
I have had 3 miscarriages previously and had cramping with all 3, the bleeding did not occur after having sex. If a miscarriage is going to occur then it will, sex will not cause a miscarriage!.
Hi, I am 13 weeks pregnant, and I had red bleeding last night after sex. No cramping though. Today there is still some spotting, but mostly when I wipe. I had a previous miscarriage a couple months before this pregnancy, and I am really worried about everything that is happening. I also had a subchorionic bleed with this pregnancy, which is a ruptured blood vessel outside of the amniotic sac. I've had 3 ultrasounds and everything was good, and heard a heartbeat of 150bpm! Has anyone else had the same or a similar situation that resulted in a full term baby? Please let me know. Thanks!
I had bleeding after sex and a some pain it lasted about 2 hrs but only in wipeing and it was brite red,then the day after turned to  spotting of brownish colour, i am about 10 wks pregnant and the hospital say my cervix is closed but they need to do a scan to see how the baby is ? has anyone had this???
This forum is very helpful to me.  I am 12 weeks pregnant and last night I had some bright red spotting and sex.  I also had some bleeding when I was 7 weeks pregnant.  Reading everyone's response really helped ease my mind and let me know that everything was all right.  I have a doctor's appt on Friday anyway and I will still ask her some questions, however my mind is more at ease after reading some responses.

I am 5 weeks pregnant and a little worried myself. When me and my DH concieved I was bleeding during intercourse. And continued like that for about a week. 2-3 weeks later we find that I was Prego. Now, again I am bleeding during intercourse. It isn't as heavy as it was when we concieved but it's there and this is the second time. Has anyone spoke with their doc about this. I am a little worried because this is my fifth pregnancy and I have never bleed during intercourse and be prego at all. And I just got off of the Minera IUD in Aug which was 6 months ago... I have a doctors appointment in 10 days... But I'm worried
I just wanted to thank all of you who've posted intamites about your life. It has help calm my fears about spotting blood after sex. I am now 61/2 weeks and bled afterwards. Like alot of you it was red at first only to wipe, then brown within a few hours. I am not worried now and will wait to see the doctor monday, instead of sitting in emerge.
Keep up the postings, there is alot scary about having a baby and keeping him/her safe inside. lol.
This post make me feel a little more optimistic after today.  My husband and I had sex last night and when I went to the bathroom immediately afterward I noticed some a brownish color on the tissue.  Today I've noticed when wiping some more brown discharge with a little bit of blood.  This really worries me as I've already had one miscarriage, that was 7 years ago, we've waited a long time before trying again.  I am 7 weeks and 5 days, I had an ultrasound 4 days ago and saw the baby's heartbeat.  I am praying this is just one of those occurences and it doesn't mean I am going to miscarry.  I would love to hear some more from those who have had this experience with their pregnancies.  Thanks.
You'll need to get checked by your doctor to make sure you aren't dilated at all. Sometimes you can spot from having a yeast infection as  well.
Ok so the last time I had a period was in the begginin of march around the 12th I had sex and haven't had a period since imy nippels hurt from time to time and I'm sometimes naushiouse but I neva throw up so I was suppose to get my period the ninth but instead the ninth I had sex and I spotted red then it turned brown the same day it was gone I was verry scared can it be possibel that I'm pregnant and that I might miscarry this would be my first baby and after so long tryin and no luck it would be a mirical I'm praying for this can anyone help me please
Hi there just wondering i know this sounds silly but when you had sex with your partners or hubby's when in first trimester did any one have sex with a condom??? and still got spotting i am 7 weeks 2 days today and i have had this since about 5 weeks
how many day are ok to bleed after sex ? im worried i had last night sex and i didnt stop intill now next day night   ? so scared im almost 7 weeks pregnant .
Help!!! I had intercourse while pregnant and i've been bleeding for 3 days, not heavy enough to soak a pad but with some clots. I went to the ER and my hcg levels were at 454. the Dr. did an US but was unable to see anything. he says it was probably because it was too early to see anything. I dont go back to the Dr. until Jan 5th! im so worried!!!! help!// oh, and i have no cramping, fever, nor am I feeling weak... Could I still be having a miscarriage?
I have had spotting since 6 weeks and bleeding after sex, where it turns brownish red after few hours.  I am now 9 weeks.  It is very scary as I didn't have any bleeding in first trimester with my son.  I am waiting for my scan at 11 weeks & praying that everything is alright.  It is such a horrible feeling but after reading everyones posts on the topic I do feel a bit better, thank you.  No one tells you that this can be quite normal, everyone just prepares you for the worst.  
i have had no period since april 6th 2011 ive got all pregnancy symptoms possible but cant seem to get a positive anything at the dpctor i have had positive home tests, so my doctor wont see me until he gets that proof i am pregnant i suggested a ultrasound to see whats up, ive been taking pics since i thought i was pregnant. ive gotten a pudge and boobs have grown, cant fit into my clothes i have, everyone, even my mother, i know thinks no way i cant be, but i havent had any bleeding till this morning when i woke up june 20 and i had hard sex last night and spotted brown last night and this mornign it was red so what do u think? i am not getting any prenatal care or anything..i dont know i am just worried about my health and want to know if i am going to be a mommy :( please anyone help who is pregnant or has already had a baby i just want support eather way,
hi im 39 weeks pregnant.. and last night i had sex with my hsbnd.. which we normally do like 3 times a week. everything was fine until the morning. i woke up and went to pee. and noticed blood when i was cleaning myself. it wasnt alot. but it scared me. is this normal?. it had never happend before. please tell me if its normal or not.
Im the same. Just had sex with my partner and he spotted bleeding, in no pain or anything but im absolutely petrified as its my first and im willing everything to go as normal as can be. What should i do?
Everytime after having sex I've been spotting,mainly pinkish coloured after wiping then later in the day ut turns a more browny/clear discharge....had sex earlier today and scared to go to the toilet.you read so many horror stories, but after reading this feel much more at ease,may even go for that wee I've been holding in all day :) lol
6 weeks pregnant had sex now im spotting but only when I'm wiping it's there,Ive had a miscarriage before and I really dont want to go through it again what do I do
i spotted when was pregnant with my daughter after curtain sex postions, dont wanna go into too muh detail but when was on top, she 9 yr old nar perfectly healthy, try not to worry too much if its just after sex, i know its hard not too, but am sure all ill be ok x x x x,

Its been a few years since you left this comment. I just wanted to see how your pregnancy went? I am 7 weeks now and have been bleeding (spotting) since we had sex yesterday and I am wondering when it should stop.