Maternal & Child Community
new pregnancy before six week check up

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

new pregnancy before six week check up

Has anyone every gotten pregnant right after giving birth?  I am breastfeeding and don't know when i will start af but i am curious about it.
It is very common to not get AF until after breast feeding is no longer being done. I have been b/f for almost 4 months now and I have not had a period. My sister breast fed for a year and it took her 2 full years before her period came back to a normal cycle.
I guess I am one of the odd ones.  I have Breastfeed two of my children thus far, and with both had periods immediately when they were due, 1st one about 4 weeks after birth and then being consistant just like before pregnancy.  If there is any chance of pregnancy, your doctor will most likely know at your 6 week check when he checks you.  You should voice your concerns at that point and see what is recommended.  I have been told that it is safe to take the "mini"pill while b/f, but I am not sure.  Wish you the best of luck.
I always had my period 4 weeks after giving birth, and I breastfed all 5 of my children.  Breastfeeding is not fool proof birth control.  If the baby sleeps longer at night for instance , or stops eating as frequently, you can ovulate.  You can ovulate before a period, you can have periods without ovulating.  The earliest I know of someone getting pregnant is conceiving 2 weeks after giving birth, her kids were under 10 months apart!  Any little amount of stress can suppress your milk supply just enough to ovulate and be fertile.

ps- I got pregnant on the mini pill when my baby was 5 months old (well thats when I found out)
I am one who never gets af until I start to wean or wean completely. With my first I did 2 rounds of depo, so that staved off af even if nursing wouldn't have/ With my second i had Mirena and didn't get af until right before i weaned completely, and I am now 5 mos PP with my 3rd and have not gotten af or used any BC. My dh had the "Big V" done almost 2 mos after we had CJ, though we did have a few unprotected encounters before the procedure. I tested just to be sure and it appears as though my body sees nursing as BC.

I did not get my AF before my 6 wk check but I started on the mini pill right away (it is safe for breastfeeding)....I didn't get AF then for another 4 weeks...I was a little concerned but it wasn't until a year later when I became pregnant on the mini-pill.

My advice....use other protection when on the mini-pill (if you don't want to be pregnant again soon)....I know I needed it.
And I took it everyday, same time, no exceptions!

Now that pregnancy was a blessing in disguise because it made us see how ready we were for another baby.
a lady I work with had a baby, was BF, went to the Dr. for her 6 week check up and found out she was preggo.  Her 1st DD was born in Feb. and 2nd DD born in Dec. of the same year.  Be carefull and don't assume BF is birth control.