Maternal & Child Community
newborn care

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

newborn care

ever since my child was born (now he's 4 month), he has bowel movement every other day.  Sometimes, every two day.  Is this normal?  If not, what can I do?  I asked his doctor and he said it is okay.  I thought baby supposes to go a few time a day.
my doctor told me that the amount of bowel movements isnt too concerning its the consistincy.  is his bm hard or normal
THIS IS JUST AN AVERAGE....but:

Most formula fed babies have at least one bowel movement a day while breastfed babies tend to vary more with once a day to every couple of days.

As mentioned however, what is also important is consisitency. Is he straining? If so, then he is consitpated and that is a problem.

Once your baby starts on solids, his bowels frequency, consistency and smell will change. You should still keep a close eye and make sure he isn't experiencing constipation.
Emily is not constipated by no means and she goes every 2-3 days. I have talked to her pediatrician about it and he said it was fine. She has done this since three weeks. As long as baby is having lots of wet diapers and does not have hard stools baby is fine. Now if he seems like he is grunting more and bearing down that could also be that he has got a mild case of colic my doc said. It is just that he is learning how to use his bowel muscles and will bare down and push. Emily does this every once in a while now. It was worse around 3-4 weeks. I hope this helps.

Christine