Maternal & Child Community
newborn constipation??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

newborn constipation??

my daughter has not gotten a bowel movement in 32 hrs. She is 2 weeks tommorow, and has been straining and pushing, but nothing comes out. She is feeding and urinating ok, just no BM. My husband gave her 2 oz of formula 2 nights ago, and thats the only thing I can connect it to. She is otherwise just breastfed. Anyone had a same problem? What can I do?I cant see her soo uncomfortable. She is a good girl, and does not cry, but she is soo gassy and awake all the time. I wanted to check with you ladies before I called the doctor.
Tags: bowel
I would give her gas drops... and with breastfeeding, she should have a bowel movement very soon. The doc told me that when breastfeeding there is no such thing as constipation, so just wait it should happen!
some babies go days between poopies.  If she doesn't seem to be in pain, I wouldn't worry about it.  The formula takes longer to digest and that may be the reason for the delay.
Well my daughter has been constipated practically since she has been born and i dont know why either. But my solutions have been lay her down on her back when you see her trying to poopy and take her diaper off and then push her legs up to her stomach and that helps her get poopy out and then massage the left side of her stomach and try it again. Then also i found at Walgreens " infants &children Gleycerin suppositories laxative" The parmacist and my pediatrician told me to get this take on little suppositorie and put it in her bum and within an hour or less she should have a BM. Just some sugestions for you that have helped me. Hope it helps
My daughter goes up to 5 days without a BM.  Poor baby. She's a preemie - 8 weeks old, but only 39 weeks gestation.  Our pedi said to use baby suppositories, but just 1/4 to 1/3 of one.  Works like a charm, every time, and it's instant relief!
dont give her anything without talking to your doctor. i had the same problem with my daughter . i even had to go to the e.r. but she was a bit older. my doctor told me that its okay if she doesnt even go to the bathroom for four days. but mine was older. i would definately call my doctor if shes eating well and not pooping and she seems stressed. just call and be on the safe side and ask. but i agree with some comments here . if shes not stressed about it, dont worry  because every baby is different . my daughter went once a day at that age. but some babies skeep days and some go after every meal. so unless shes stressed, you shouldnt worry.
I have been experiencing the same thing with my 5 week old. He's been doing this off and on for the past few weeks, and I can't figure out why. He also has horrible gas and pushes. I'm going to try not eating dairy for a while. Have you figured out anything??
I had the same problem with my newborn and took him to the doctor.  she said with breastfeeding they absorb so much of it that sometimes there is not a need for bm.  she said the grunting is normal.  they are learning how to poop.  they understand to push or their body does it for them but they dont know to open the muscle that lets the poop out.  they are practicing.  
At some point, breastfed babies can go 2 weeks without a bowel movement!  My son did 2 weeks regularly.  My daughter actually went 2-3 weeks!  However, at two weeks old, it shouldn't be 2 weeks - just something to keep in mind.  32 hours isn't a big deal though.  It could have been the formula.  If not, then it's not consitpation, but could be gassiness.  Put her on her back and move her legs like a bicycle to help with the gas.