newborn exposed to shingles
My granddaughter was born today and unknowingly was exposed to shingles by a relative. What might happen to the baby? How long does it take for symptoms to show up and what are the symptoms and possible effects on her?
Yes, I agree with the above poster. You have to get chicken pox before you get shingles and I've honestly never heard of someone getting chicken pox from someone who has shingles. Shingles isn't contagious like chicken pox. Plus a baby carries its mothers antibodies for up to 6mo's after it's born I believe. Definitely check with your pediatrician. But I think the baby should be fine.
You will want to check with the doctor on this,  but her chances of becoming infected are VERY slim.  The virus that causes shingles is the same virus as the chicken pox,  and if the baby's other had chicken pox already,  the baby will have the antibodies and will be protected from infection.

Check with the pediatrician,  but it sounds like will be fine.

And congratulations!!
oops  typo,  not the baby's "other".  The baby's "mother".  

Best wishes.
Thank you both for the information.