Maternal & Child Community
newborn going through withdrawal? any help appreciated.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I know im going to get some unhappy posts from this, and i realize i messed up, obviously, but maybe i will get some helpful feedback also.
i gave birth to a baby girl on sept 19th.
for the first two days she was an angel, but after that she became a fussy demon.Its more than normal fussing, im already a mom i know the signs.
It gets to the point where we have tro let her just cry herself to sleep because nothing we do will console her.
my question i guess is this.
I smoked cigarettes while i was pregnant about half a pack a day, and was also on klonopin(for medical issues the would nto take me off) and now i see her fussing and am starting to believe she may be going through nicotine and or klonpin withdrawels.
her symptoms are irritability, trouble sleeping, belly tightness(like gas but when she has no gas) and being unable to be consoled.
has anyone else been through this and can give me a time frame of when she will be feeling better?
i plan on calling her doctor but ive gotten good advice from folks here before, and also does anyone know of any way to help soothe my daughter?
i feel miserable about what she is going through....
well i dont know about the klonpin but as much as smoking isn't recommended for pregnancy i've never heard of a baby going through a nicotine withdrawl (withdrawal)...but maybe someone can help you.. i mean half a pack a day isn't all THAT bad.. it could have been worse... anywho, my mom smoked for her pregnancy and i never had any withdrawls as well as no one else who did i know...but the only person's baby who had issues was my friend.. she stopped cold turkey 3 weeks before she delivered and her son was born with many issues breathing and the drs said it was from quitting late in the pregnancy... good luck hun.. try not to beat yourself up tooo much...some people do far worse..
This article touches on Klonopin withdrawal in newborns.  I think it's much more likely the klonopin,  and not the cigarettes.

Best wishes.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081004/METRO/810040423/1361
I would bring it up with the pedi and i agree, it is more likely the Klonopin as it is longer acting.

Schedule an appointment and do your best to comfort your baby right now, leaving her to cry is not good for her.
What did your pediatrician at the time have to say about the Klonopin?  They should have given you some advice before you were discharged, if they knew you were on it.

Anecdotally, in the hospital, we see infants of women who smoke as fussier, but I'm not sure its a proven fact.

Some infants are simply fussier than others, have gas, have formula intolerances, or just a fussier personality.

It becomes a concern if the infant has suddenly developed extreme episodes of inconsolability, shrill, sharp and prolonged crying, or other very unusual and noticable changes in behavior.  

Good luck, and let us know what you find out.
rock that link didnt take me anywhere but a sad story about a missing 2 year old girl... and yeah the pediatricians didnt tell me anything, but i will be calling dominos ped tomorrow to ask for help, my babies so unhappy i cant stand it....
Congrats on new baby! have you tried swaddling ? worth checking out, google correct way. on amazon great dvd "haapiest baby on the block"  Hope goes well with u and ur family.
it may also be colic, im not too sure, anyone have any experince with colic? would this cause her symptoms maybe?
It does seem late for withdrawal and colic does tend to begin at 3 weeks or so.

Did you make an appt to be seen today? I really think you need to have this investigated further. Make sure her pedi has the full picture. They are your ally.
I think it could go either way but the whole withdrawl (withdrawal) thing...if you think about it it decided to take affect pretty late? If this suddenly just started I would point more towards Colic. When you call the ped they might suggest colic, but definately bring up all of the information. I wouldn't worry unless her ped seems worried. Hopefully its colic...I would hate knowing I have a fussier baby! lol Good luck hun, let us know!
My son had colic. It was horrible he cried all the time. I had to rock him constantly. It was worse at night. He would only sleep if he was wrapped tight in a blanket(swaddling) and in his car seat. Also try car rides that worked for me. My friends just had a baby going thru withdrawl (withdrawal) she was prescribed med and had baby before they could wean her off the med. They had to give the baby some type of med to slowly ween him off the med. He is fine now. But I agree it dont sound like withdrawel I think you would have noticed that sooner. Try gas drops(if it seems his belly hurts). My son had to switch to alimentum formula
Well, several things I see here that scares me.

I think if it is that bad, the best thing to do is calling your pediatrician FIRST. No blog or site will treat specifically with all the circumstances you and your baby went thru and you won't be able to diagnose your baby with what people tell you here.

Second, yes, VERY selfish to smoke that much knowing your little innocent baby is getting all the c.r.a.p you are intaking, and keep doing it throughout your pregnancy knowing it was that bad.... there are studies that say babies that were exposed to nicotine while in the womb (and once born) have an increased risk of SIDS!

yeah... it IS that bad...

Thirdly, your baby is still VERY young to be let out to cry.... if you think this is a withdrawal... it's because of 'mommy's' actions... now mommy will need to find a solution and not just 'wash her hands' and let her cry it out.....
Yet another (in my eyes) incredibly selfish action.

But then again, I am one of those old cows that have gone thru HELL trying to conceive and having a healthy pregnancy and delivery.... so yes, to me, my daughter is my own life..... MORE than life itself!, so in my heart, I don't understand when other women do these kinds of things.

Please, go to the doctor, get her checked.... and most importantly: BE THERE for her!!! don't just let her cry it out! not this little!... infants this young DO have a reason for crying.... it's your job to figure it out.

Good luck.
It could be a number of things mentioned above.  At this point in your dd's life she could be very colicky or gassy.  I remember once my son hit 6 weeks, he was a nightmare.  Especially during the evenings.  He would cry and be inconsolible.  But even if he didn't stop crying I held him and rocked him and carried him.  No matter what I didn't leave him alone to cry it out.  Even if your dd still cries during all of this, the only thing you need to do is be right there with her.  They need constant reassurance at that age to build trust and by leaving her to cry, the trust that she will have for you to meet her needs will not be there.  So stay with her and do whatever it takes, even if it is hours.  My son once cried for 4 hours straight and nothing I did worked but I stayed with him and did everything I could.  Try Milicon drops.  Are you breast feeding?  If you are, maybe you are eating something that could be causing gas.  If you are formula feeding, try switching bottles with an air vent system.  I used Avent at first and my son was horribly gassy, once we switched to Dr. Brown's he was so much better.  Also, talk to your pediatrician about changing the formula to a more sensitive formula.  There are a ton of options now, so talk first to your pediatrician.  This is only a phase and should end by 3 months.  Remember, every baby is different, so just because your first didn't do this doesn't mean anything.  Good luck.
Like Mami said try the Dr. Brown's bottles and the pediatrician switched my daughters formula to Enfamil Gentlease. Those two things helped wonders. Good luck.
Wow. i'm sorry to hear what your baby has been through.
"Clonazepam is in the FDA pregnancy category D. This means that it is known to be harmful to an unborn baby." I'm suprised your doctor allowed you to stay on medicine while pregnant. it sounds to me like you have a hard time dealing with your issues thats why you continued to smoke soooo much while pregnant. I don't have to tell you how dumb that was, I'm sure you feel guilty enough for satisfying YOUR wants over the needs of your helpless child. YOU should be old enough for your wants not to hurt you.
Question: ARe you breast feeding while taking clonazepan? cause you shouldn't.
babies are very sensitive to everything that is introduced into their system.
Take care of your baby when she crys. BABYS cry for a reason and they learn that if they cry and no one comes that no one loves them, and they grow to be more nervous and insecure children.
Parents are incouraged to hold their babies when they need attention and cuddled, you can't spoil a baby.
good luck.
Just wanted to add that  I have two healthy boys and I smoked with both of them. Yes I did cut down alot but they are healthy.
i like u smoked with my first child (my son).. i cut down but its weird that i say this... i actually craved cigarettes... now i look back and i hate myself each day for it.. my son has a terrible case of asthma, i have myself to thank for that. the docs say that he will (maybe) grow out of it.. my fiance also had asthma as a child but he did grow out of it during puberty. i know that my smoking caused this, if not all the asthma MOST of it. i have to live with this. my son was put in the hospital at the beginning of sept this year for pnemonia (pneumonia).. the scariest thing i ever went through in my life bc he COULD not breath. yes he takes asthma attacks but they do not compare to what he went through with the pnemonia (pneumonia).. i barely could watch him get the breathing treatments every 2 hours and the iv's in his little arm, the chest xrays each day... i did this to him. i feel like the WORST person on this earth bc of it. he is 4 yrs old and he has inhalers to use 3 times daily. yes maybe it was a genetic thing but i can't help but beat on myself for it.   he also as a newborn only weighed 6lb 7oz. kinda small?? another thing is i know he went through nicotine withdrawal bc he would cry and fuss when i did everything in my power to stop him from crying.. did he have a belly ache, probably bc of the nicotine. he didn't get the asthma right away but around a year old it hit with full force. i know that you allready smoked and the damage is done now... all i can say to you is if your still a smoker please do not smoke around ur lil girl.. even though the smoke will be on ur clothing its less likely to bother her that way. i got pregnant after my son with my daughter and i quit smoking about 6 months before i got pregnant and she had noooo symptons that my son did. she is healthy with no signs of asthma. i hope that you talk with ur babys doc asap. also the other drug u were on is a benzo and its not recommended to be taken during pregnancy.. not sure why your dr would have kept you on that. there are plenty of other drugs that could have done the same job as that but would not have harmed ur baby. good luck to u. i hope that u have much luck with ur new baby, congrats.
ps.. the hardest thing i ever had to go through with my son is sleep beside him listening to him wheeze and watching him thrive for air. there nothing that would ever make me smoke again, maybe to late but i have to live with this. noone else. i just hope u are lucky and ur baby dont have to go through what my son is.  good luck

Babies do go through nicotine withdrawal, why wouldn't they? Nicotine has been in their system for 9 months and all of a sudden it is gone.
Also if you are breastfeeding you need to pay attention to what you are putting into your body, certain foods can make your baby very gassy, for example broccoli. Try and limit caffeine intake too and try not to smoke right before nursing.
If you have a good acupuncturist available (ask your doctor, that is how I found one) see if he or she thinks acupuncture for the baby will help.  It can be amazing for the most unexpected things (like morning sickness and helping women's slow-growing fetus develop), so there might also be something they can do for a baby in withdrawal.  Good luck!
I have always been up front with the ped about my prenatal care, but never did anything to be worried about.  It sounds to me like colic, I have been through it twice, it is horrible, but never let them cry it out, not that little. I hope you got some good advice at the Dr.'s office, I noticed the gas and hard belly too, and the cry is different, more of a screaming than a cry, it gets worse in the evening, and follows a pattern.  Cam went on Nutramigen, it helped some, could be reflux, could be overtired, gassy, anything.  It's always best to call the ped anytime.  I made it through the first up all night screamfest with each one and was in the office the next morning both times with my boys.  Good luck and hang in there.  If it's colic, not much you can do, some things will help a little, just have to try them all, but it will pass in a few months.  
Reading Crritter's note, I might add, if you do think it could be colic, get some infant probiotics for your baby.  That is the element in yogurt that makes the culture go, and it is really, really helpful for colic.  It helps the stomach create a good digestive culture, instead of an immature environment that does not digest food well.  Our local healthy-oriented grocery store sells probiotics, and you could certainly find them at a health-food store.  Again, good luck!